December 2010 Moms

Teach me to talk like you (poll)

I'm curious and thought this would be a fun poll...

If I were to come visit you where you live, what are a few words/terms/mannerisms I would have to learn?

Re: Teach me to talk like you (poll)

• Apparently there's a Chicago accent, but I can't hear it... although that's what everyone says about their own accent isn't it?

A Chicago Dog is not allowed to have ketchup on it.  

That's about all I can think of right now.  Fun poll though. 

EDIT for punctuation mistake. 

Married 7/10/2009 * DD 12/2/2010 * DS 4/24/2014
    2 babies in heaven (mc)

Blog: ForLoveofCupcakes.com

• Y'all and all soda is called coke.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been told we talk a lot faster. Oh and it's common to hear "hecka" or "hella" a lot.
    DS: 12-17-10
    DD: 06-10-15 (32 weeker)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageChick7806:
    Y'all and all soda is called coke.
    Ditto. And you'd have to say "Well Bless your heart" whenever anyone was upset about anything. And I mean anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you were to hang out with me in my "eeera" ( word we use to describle where we live) you would have to do the following:

You'd have to quote Family guy like its your second language. Especially "ohhh noooooo" and  "gigity". When anyone says "giggity" you MUST reply with "ALLL RIIIGHT!"

You have to laugh like a machine gun. My son used to do it when he was little and we still do it to this day. "something funny" you reply with "eheheheheheheheh"

You  must randomly break into dance. My son and I both do this. My favorite song to think of when I break out into dance is "What what, in the butt"

You have to be a horrible smart @ss. You won't survive if you get butthurt easily.

Be loud. You will get drowned out if you are quiet.

Smile and wave alot. Most everyone here ( in my spartment complex at least) speaks some other language other than english as their first language. The DC eeera is very diverse.

The 1st 3 are in my house and with my friends/family, the last 3 is really everywhere around here.

• Any type of carbonated beverage is soda.

I say ya'll, a lot

DH adds a Z to many words.  The examples I can think of off the top of my head is he calls vodka, vizzz or sh!t is shizzz

I say, really!?!, how 'bout that, and there you go all the time.

• imageAmberry10:
    I've been told we talk a lot faster. Oh and it's common to hear "hecka" or "hella" a lot.

This and "seriously".

• imagelisaro2705:

imageAmberry10:
    I've been told we talk a lot faster. Oh and it's common to hear "hecka" or "hella" a lot.

This and "seriously".

Haha! Yup! Oh and if you agree with someone you would respond with "I know, Right?".

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesaram913:
    imageChick7806:
    Ditto. And you'd have to say "Well Bless your heart" whenever anyone was upset about anything. And I mean anything.

And anytime you are getting ready to go somewhere or do something say "I'm fixin' to ..."

For example:"I'm fixin' to wash my car." or "I'm fixin' to make some supper."

I know I am in Wisconsin, but I was born and raised in Texas :)

• imageAmberry10:
    imagelisaro2705:

imageAmberry10:

This and "seriously".

Haha! Yup! Oh and if you agree with someone you would respond with "I know, Right?".

haha my friend does this and I thought it was stupid at first but she has me doing it now! D@mn friends rubbing off on me...wait...ew.

• imageSpankymclaalaa:
    imageAmberry10:
    imagelisaro2705:

imageAmberry10:

This and "seriously".

haha my friend does this and I thought it was stupid at first but she has me doing it now! D@mn friends rubbing off on me...wait...ew.

I know, right?! Just kidding! I found it very annoying until I caught myself doing it all the time.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageCamilleJon:

imagesaram913:
    imageChick7806:

And anytime you are getting ready to go somewhere or do something say "I'm fixin' to ..."

For example:"I'm fixin' to wash my car." or "I'm fixin' to make some supper."

I know I am in Wisconsin, but I was born and raised in Texas :)

Ugh yes! Plus only people from the south would call it supper to begin with!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Texas:

1. All soda is called Coke

2. We take BBQ very seriously, and find that other states just don't do it right.

3. Freeway driving etiquette is key in the big cities. For example, drive in the left most lane ONLY if you are one of the fastest on the road. If you are one of the slowest, use the right most lane. Failure to do so will get you run over or given the bird. Maybe even shot, since Texans like to haul around their guns. Also, if you enter the freeway, then you better be up to speed when ready to merge. People who creep onto the freeway at 30mph are looking to get themselves killed.

4. Y'all is used a lot when speaking, but rarely spelled right. People like to spell it ya'll or some other weird variation.

5. We don't do well with cold. If the temp dips below 32F, people make a mad dash to the stores to "stock up", cities shut down and everyone stays inside. People that do venture outside wear heavy parkas, gloves, scarves etc. and are seen as masochistic.

• imagecupcakes710:

Apparently there's a Chicago accent, but I can't hear it... although that's what everyone says about their own accent isn't it?

A Chicago Dog is not allowed to have ketchup on it.  

That's about all I can think of right now.  Fun poll though. 

EDIT for punctuation mistake. 

I <3 this. I have friends in Chicago and none of them hear it either :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageChick7806:

Haha, I'm not used to every soda being called coke.  My SIL asked me to get her a coke, so I did.  When I brought it to her, she gave me a funny look- she really meant Sprite.

• imagehbchristie:
    imageChick7806:
    Yep thiss 100 percent!

what?!  you guys are wrong it's called pop.   if someone around here called a pepsi a coke they'd get smacked in the mouth, for real.    and it's not uncommon to hear the word "warsh" instead of "wash" but it makes me cringe every single time.

• South Jersey: water = wudder, home = hoome, phone = phoone. Thankfully I don't talk like that but many do. North Jersey: coffee = cawfee, orange = oar-enge
  • I have a boston accent...we don't acknowledge the letter R, lol. 

We say "wicked" to describe anything.

A "frappe" is a thick milkshake with lots of ice cream in it.

• imageMadison830:
    imagestephyrey:

Drop all Rs we don't use them example car is cah

Speak really fast & use your hands

use the word wicked to describe anything and everything

when saying cabinet be specific it can mean a drink or a piece of furniture

omg, one of my friends is from Delaware and everything is "wicked"!! Must be a regional thing, haha

LOL yes! Im from there originally and apparently I have an accent? I know we say "Dela-were" and instead of "y'all" my grandfather says "Yins"

• If you come down to Phoenix learn some Spanish. I don't and it's a pain. We actually have sections of town where all the signs and everythign are in Spanish.

In our house specifically it helps to know some Hawaiian. DH wants DD to learn it so we freaquently use:

Pau:(pow) done, finished

Aloha: Hello

Mahalo: Thank you

Akamai:(ah ka my) smart, clever

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx PCOS 2003...Dx Chronic Hypertension 2006 TTC #1 2009 BFP #1 12/31/09 m/c 1/7/10 6wks BFP #2 03/25/10...DD 11/27/10 6lbs 13oz
  • imageAmberry10:
    imagelisaro2705:

imageAmberry10:

This and "seriously".

]

We bust out with "reeeaaalllyy" a lot and "seriously" is a favorite.  But something about "hella" makes my skin crawl.  That's totally a NorCal thing.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Soda is pop!! I can't think of other words right now, but Rochester is all about the very nasally accent!! Like: Raahchester... Aunt is pronounced 'ant', not ahhhnt. So on and so forth...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageAmberry10:
    imageSpankymclaalaa:
    imageAmberry10:
    imagelisaro2705:

imageAmberry10:

This and "seriously".

I know, right?! Just kidding! I found it very annoying until I caught myself doing it all the time.

Haha got to love it! 

• Not sure what we do say in Toronto, but I know we don't say 'aboot' 'hoser' or 'eh'...sometimes  we'll say 'I know, eh?' 

And like BOTB says, if you get Pepsi and Coke mixed up..not ok.  In restaurants if you ask for a coke and they only have pepsi, they'll tell you and ask if that's alright.

And now all I have stuck in my head are those "I am Canadian" commercials. lol

• That reminds me.

THESE are Smarties

imageThey're chocolate and are like M&Ms

And THESE are Rockets:

Also, our milk comes in bags and we have Ketchup flavoured chips, which apparently you guys don't have either of in the US. 

• imageabovewedding:

That reminds me.

THESE are Smarties

imageThey're chocolate and are like M&Ms

And THESE are Rockets:

Also, our milk comes in bags and we have Ketchup flavoured chips, which apparently you guys don't have either of in the US. 

dude...your "rockets" are our "smarties"...weird..

• soda=coke
    long sandwich with deli meat=sub
    my mom's sister is my aunt=ant
    We measure the distance between two places by how long it will take to get there. i.e. Naples is an hour away, instead of 30 miles.
    shopping cart=buggy
    remote control=clicker
    to heat something in the microwave=zap it
    Season=tourist season (November - March, when we can't eat at a restaurant without waiting at least an hour or drive anywhere quickly)
    The Cape = Cape Coral, not Cape Cod

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageKellina:
    Soda is pop!! I can't think of other words right now, but Rochester is all about the very nasally accent!! Like: Raahchester... Aunt is pronounced 'ant', not ahhhnt. So on and so forth...

This!  I'm also from Rochester (live in MD now) and my new friends make fun of the way I say many words like fog, hog, etc.  I was once in the Atlanta airport and someone told me I had the ugliest accent they'd ever heard! 

•  "Hoosier" is *not* someone from Indiana but a redneck

Wash = warsh

44= Farty far

I get told I talk with an accent but I guess I don't hear it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

• Oh and anytime you meet someone new you always ask them where they went to high school
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"