Special Needs

Sippy Cups

DS has high tone and is 9.5months.  I cannot get him to put ANYTHING in his mouth besides fingers, and maybe a biter biscuit if he holds it, in addition to his bottles.  I thought the straw sippy would be the best idea because he can't raise his arms up, however he wont' even let me get the straw in his mouth.

He is anti spoons now too, not sure if it's a developmental phase where it's a game to not let mommy put a spoon in his mouth.  He also won't self feed, I have to trick him into opening his mouth using my finger to get puffs or yogurt melts in.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew

Re: Sippy Cups

• i really like tilty cups.  they have a smoothie lid that i really like because it's a large hole and liquid comes out easier.  my son doesn't self-feed either and these are nice because you don't have to tip them.

what about the sippy cups that are kind of bottle shaped and have the soft spot?  they might be munchkin.  i think there's also a "sports" sippy out there too.  i know i had bought a sippy cup that had a nipple but then transitioned to other nipples that were more sippy shaped (if that makes sense).

• imageadge1119:

i really like tilty cups.  they have a smoothie lid that i really like because it's a large hole and liquid comes out easier.  my son doesn't self-feed either and these are nice because you don't have to tip them.

what about the sippy cups that are kind of bottle shaped and have the soft spot?  they might be munchkin.  i think there's also a "sports" sippy out there too.  i know i had bought a sippy cup that had a nipple but then transitioned to other nipples that were more sippy shaped (if that makes sense).

we have 4 sippys, the straw, a munchkin with a soft silicone spout and the nuk with the soft latex spout and a dr browns with a hard spout.  The soft spouts he will drink out of if I use it like a bottle and cradle him and feed him, kind of defeats the purpose.  He won't even put a cup to his mouth, I've tried with little dixie ones, plastic etc.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • my son didn't take a sippy cup until this past september and he did it on his own.  one day he decided he didn't want to take the bottle but hadn't quite gotten down the hang of the sippy cup.  i was a little freaked at first worrying about him getting enough. along with maybe some oral aversion your son just isn't ready to give up the bottle yet.  do you do OT?  i'm sure they could tell you what would be the best way and what cup would be best to start introducing it.

• Bug will do Nuby's if I hold him like its a bottle. I figure I start somewhere, get him used to it, and we can work up from there. My pedi told me I didn't even need to push the sippy, because *eventually* he will understand how to use a straw/drink out of a cup w/o a lid. So, I might have a Big Boy with a bottle for awhile, but I just take one day at a time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"