TTC After a Loss

"Testing Out" HCG Trigger Shot w/OPK

I apologize if you have already read this on the TTTC board. I originally posted there thinking they might have the most experience with this.  Unfortunately I haven't gotten a response, so I thought I might see if any of you ladies here have experience with this or heard of it.  

Please forgive me it has been a LONG time since I have posted on the bump.  Second, I am still pretty new to a lot of the infertility issues so I apologize in advance if my questions seem pretty stupid.

Anyway, this month in addition to my usual Clomid CD 3- CD 7, and Estradiol CD 8 - 12,  my doctor gave me an HCG trigger shot of 10,000 cc.  I did the trigger shot on Saturday (CD 12) after confirming 4 mature follicles on Friday (CD 11).  I did a little research and heard about "testing out" using OPKs or HPTs so I have taken an OPK test every morning since.  And every day, until today it was positive.  This morning it was negative.  The research I was finding said that if you were pregnant the OPK would continue to be positive all the way through.  But that if you weren't pregnant it would turn negative.  Have any of you tried this method?  What have your experiences been?  Does this mean this month is a bust for me now?  I know none of you can definitively answer that, but I am just curious what your thoughts are.  TIA.
BFP #1 4/07, 6/07 MMC 9w6d D&C | DX PCOS/annovulatory | BFP #2 (50 mg Clomid) 11/8/10, Natural MC 11/25/10 | Cycle #1 (50 mg Clomid) BFN | Cycle #2 (100 mg Clomid) BFN | Cycle #3 (100 mg Clomid & HCG trigger) BFN | Cycle #4 (100 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI)= BFN | Cycle #5 (150 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI) = BFP --> Beta #1 12DPO: 48, Beta #2 14dpo: 171, Progesterone: 105, Beta #3 19dpo: 2,418 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: "Testing Out" HCG Trigger Shot w/OPK

• Try asking on PGAL they might be able to help
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • PGAL...but I'm not pregnant? Did I say something wrong?
    BFP #1 4/07, 6/07 MMC 9w6d D&C | DX PCOS/annovulatory | BFP #2 (50 mg Clomid) 11/8/10, Natural MC 11/25/10 | Cycle #1 (50 mg Clomid) BFN | Cycle #2 (100 mg Clomid) BFN | Cycle #3 (100 mg Clomid & HCG trigger) BFN | Cycle #4 (100 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI)= BFN | Cycle #5 (150 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI) = BFP --> Beta #1 12DPO: 48, Beta #2 14dpo: 171, Progesterone: 105, Beta #3 19dpo: 2,418 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, that is what I was thinking, but in reading other things online I get mixed answers as to what my negative OPK this morning means.  I mean the obvious answer is that I don't have an LH surge right now, but the HCG trigger shot totally messes up the results of OPKs...which is why some people use them to "test out" the HCG after a trigger shot.  So confused.  Thanks for your answer, guess I will just try not to think about it.
  • imagejmckeag:
    PGAL...but I'm not pregnant? Did I say something wrong?
    No you didnt say anything wrong but they have had pregnancies and may be able to answer it I just wasnt sure you would get answers here ..I am sorry if I worded that wrongEmbarrassed
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • ****** Badge warning*****

It can up to 10 days for the HCG to disappear from your system. Normally they say 1000 units a day for as much as you took. So 10,000 units would be 10 days.

I would not use OPK's as you will have HCG in your system which will also mimic OPK's. But not always catch the surge too.

Get a bunch of dollar tree tests and test it out. My last round it took 11 days and I took 10,000 unit HCG shot.

• No worries.  I just get paranoid that I will offend someone on here.  Of course, I never intend to, but I think its a little easier to do with online communications. 

As far as your response is concerned I thought I might have been out of place because I see those types of responses a lot to other people when they have been offended.   That's all.  :-)

• imageSockMonkeySam:

****** Badge warning*****

It can up to 10 days for the HCG to disappear from your system. Normally they say 1000 units a day for as much as you took. So 10,000 units would be 10 days.

I would not use OPK's as you will have HCG in your system which will also mimic OPK's. But not always catch the surge too.

Get a bunch of dollar tree tests and test it out. My last round it took 11 days and I took 10,000 unit HCG shot.

See, that's what I am talking about...you took an HPT every morning for 11 days and it was positive, until it turned negative.  But once it turned negative that meant you were not pregnant, right?   Are you saying that my negative OPK result cannot be reliable because it is an OPK and not an HPT?  I heard, although HPTs are more sensitive, OPKs detect LH which looks identical to the HCG and therefore will be positive.  Ugh, I am getting myself confused at this point...

• you shouldnt use OPKs...because they wont be an accurate reflection.  OPKs turn positive if the hcg level is above about 30 hcg or more (maybe 40 or more). if you want to accurately test out of the trigger shot then you should use the most sensitive (and $$) hpt which is the frer.  NOT pregnant is 5mIu hcg and under.  frers detect as low as 6.3.  so if you test out of the trigger shot on a frer you can be confident that the hcg from the trigger shot is no longer in your system.

i did this with my son two years ago.  i tested out around 5 dpo on the frer (meaning i got a negative on the frer) and it was the 10,000.  i got a bfp on the frer at 10dpo and i knew it was truly a bfp because i had tested out of the trigger shot with the same sensitive brand.  it is possible that the hcg from the trigger shot can overlap with hcg from implantation however like PP said but in my experience it was gone by 5dpo.

• imagetootlebug:

you shouldnt use OPKs...because they wont be an accurate reflection.  OPKs turn positive if the hcg level is above about 30 hcg or more (maybe 40 or more). if you want to accurately test out of the trigger shot then you should use the most sensitive (and $$) hpt which is the frer.  NOT pregnant is 5mIu hcg and under.  frers detect as low as 6.3.  so if you test out of the trigger shot on a frer you can be confident that the hcg from the trigger shot is no longer in your system.

i did this with my son two years ago.  i tested out around 5 dpo on the frer (meaning i got a negative on the frer) and it was the 10,000.  i got a bfp on the frer at 10dpo and i knew it was truly a bfp because i had tested out of the trigger shot with the same sensitive brand.  it is possible that the hcg from the trigger shot can overlap with hcg from implantation however like PP said but in my experience it was gone by 5dpo.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this info. It is VERY helpful.  I guess the two key things here, 1) Don't rely on OPKs for testing HCG levels post trigger shot, 2) HPTs can turn negative post trigger shot (after trigger has left system) and still be pregnant that month (after fetus produces HCG). 

• imagejmckeag:
    imagetootlebug:

you shouldnt use OPKs...because they wont be an accurate reflection.  OPKs turn positive if the hcg level is above about 30 hcg or more (maybe 40 or more). if you want to accurately test out of the trigger shot then you should use the most sensitive (and $$) hpt which is the frer.  NOT pregnant is 5mIu hcg and under.  frers detect as low as 6.3.  so if you test out of the trigger shot on a frer you can be confident that the hcg from the trigger shot is no longer in your system.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this info. It is VERY helpful.  I guess the two key things here, 1) Don't rely on OPKs for testing HCG levels post trigger shot, 2) HPTs can turn negative post trigger shot (after trigger has left system) and still be pregnant that month (after fetus produces HCG). 

yes and yes.  although to add to the OPK comment, they also really arent useful if you are testing early for pregnancy, meaning before around 13 or 14dpo or so.  like i said, they wont turn positive if you have 10, 15 or even 20 mIu hcg in your system.  the hcg has to be a little higher for them to turn positive.  if you want to test early then use the frer or a similar test with similar sensitivity.  and if you want to double check and see if the hcg is out of your system from the shot, use the frer. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"