Breastfeeding

Letting him fall asleep at breast?

We will be 4 weeks post partum tomorrow.  Babe is doing well now with breastfeeding, but starting to get a bit more reflux/spit up.  He has a tendency to fall asleep on the breast after nursing for 20 - 30 minutes, but doesn't release his latch when he falls asleep.

I had been lifting him to burp him (he gets a lot of gas - this is probably his biggest problem right now), but this typically result in him immediately waking up, vomitting up half of what he just took down and crying for the next 10 minutes.

If I let him sleep at the breast until he wakes naturally and then burp him, he keeps everything in his stomach and stays clam, but sometimes by that time I can't get a burp out of him.  So which is better - to let him stay calm, keep his stomach contents down but risk gassiness, or to get the air out and risk crying and reflux?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Letting him fall asleep at breast?

• My 4 month old always nurses to sleep, and I never try to burp him when he's sleeping.  He doesn't have any reflux/spitting up problems, but I would let a sleeping. calm baby lie, as it were!  If he wakes up with gas, you can try tummy massage and bicycle legs-that usually works for my little guy.

Good luck! 

• if he's fine when you don't burp, I'd say go with that... he must not need it too badly.  you could maybe try to keep him in kind of a propped position, just to be safe... I'd let him sleep :)  hth
  • Loading the player...
  • Let a content sleeping baby sleep!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"