Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When do babies start eating larger volumes less often?

From day 9 through now (5 weeks), A has eaten exactly 3 oz 8x/day. I've tried increasing his bottles (we're EPing) to 3.5 oz and he will either refuse that last .5 oz or eat it anyway and then throw up. He seems satisfied after eating 3 oz, but in a post a while back, everyone else said their 1 month old was eating more than mine, so now I'm worried.

He is gaining weight and sleeps well, so I shouldn't be worried. I am anyway. Apparently I am going to be one of *those* mothers who always compares their child to other children.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When do babies start eating larger volumes less often?

• Beats me. LO eats 2.5 ounces, about 8 times a day. My guess is that my LO has a smaller stomach because he is only 6lbs (was 5lbs when born 5 weeks early). Was your LO a preemie or small for gestational age?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • According to the chart the LC gave me, 24 ounces a day is what a 10 pound baby is expected to eat, so you can compare that to how much your baby weighs. But I've also been told that breastmilk adjusts in terms of calorie density as your baby gets older - they can get more calories without more volume of milk.

I think my DS1 was 4 or 5 months old when he dropped a feeding. That's also when he started to accept "mealtimes" instead of a strict 3-hour around-the-clock schedule.

• Loading the player...
  • I have been wondering the exact same thing!

LO is eating roughly 3oz 8x a day also.. I am FF'ing... So, I always make 4oz, praying he will drink it and sleep longer...but no such luck. He has finished the 4oz, MAYBE 4 times....

More food=fuller longer=sleep longer....

Good question!

• imageGreenFlamingo7:
    Beats me. LO eats 2.5 ounces, about 8 times a day. My guess is that my LO has a smaller stomach because he is only 6lbs (was 5lbs when born 5 weeks early). Was your LO a preemie or small for gestational age?

He was 7 lb 4 oz and is 9 lb 5 oz now.  I was induced at 39 weeks because a couple of ultrasounds late in my pregnancy showed that he had a small stomach, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO eats 9 times a day. 7 of which are 2 oz. and 2 of which are 3 oz. (right before bed and one first thing in the morning)

When LO was born she was 9 lbs so you'd think she'd just suck it down but she doesn't.  

As long as they are gaining it's just fine. :)

• imagechardonnay24:

imageGreenFlamingo7:
    Beats me. LO eats 2.5 ounces, about 8 times a day. My guess is that my LO has a smaller stomach because he is only 6lbs (was 5lbs when born 5 weeks early). Was your LO a preemie or small for gestational age?

He was 7 lb 4 oz and is 9 lb 5 oz now.  I was induced at 39 weeks because a couple of ultrasounds late in my pregnancy showed that he had a small stomach, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Sounds like it might be a stomach size issue. Maybe ask at your next appointment?

• Between 5-7 weeks, my LO increased from 3 oz / 8x day to 4 oz/8x a day and then, just this week (9 weeks) went from eating 8x/day to 6x/day (still 4 oz each feeding). She suddenly started STTN and dropped the 2 nighttime feedings.
  • DS is similar.  He eats 3-4oz 4-5 times a day, then at about 7 will take abt 5oz.  Again, he is gaining weight but the last few days after he's finished w/ 3oz he just plays.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD takes 4oz every 3-3.5 hours.

I'm kind of surprised with other posters (in other posts too) that DD takes as much as she does and she's little. She is FF.

• Bug was doing 4oz every 3 hours (on a feeding tube, so he was still STTN) at 2.5-3mo. He was doing one 6oz bottle + four 4oz bottles at 4mo (bottle feeding, STTN). It gradually increased until 6mo, when he was doing five 8oz bottles a day (usually two the first hour and a half he was awake, then the other 3 spread out). At 10mo he went to three 8oz bottles + table food (never purees) and now he does 8oz when wakes up, and 8oz before bed (both of whole milk, no formula). Has 3 meals of table food, and two or three sippys of watered down pedialyte or apple juice.

Before the 4oz, he was doing 97ccs every 3 hours via tube, whatever that computes to.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"