Babies: 0 - 3 Months

moms with reflux babies.....

is anyone not giving their LO's meds?

SO does not want to give DS any type of meds and would rather just deal with it in other non medication ways... i.e. incline mattress, upright feedings, 30-40 minutes upright after feeding.

in a way i agree as i think DS is to young to be on meds (he is only a month old!) but maybe that is me being not experienced. even when i tell my father or grandmother about it their old fashion ways kick in and say no to the meds..

anyone else going the non med way? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: moms with reflux babies.....

• I do have some apprehension about such a strong med at such a young age but I do all the other things and he still screams in pain.

I'm looking at it as only a 1 week trial and if I don't see a difference, then he's off

• I say as long as baby isn't in pain, do what works.

Both Bug and Adie had severe refulx from the get-go... I didn't start med-ing Bug until his spit up started coming out his nose. He wasn't a fan of that, but until then it never bothered him. With Adie I have the script in hand just in case.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We weren't going to after the Zantac failed and we tried the rice starch formula route + mylicon gas drops plus everything you stated above but it didn't help him. He was still crying from the pain. When he started choking, coughing, and gagging from it that when I decided to throw out the thought of not medicating him. We have since put him on Prilosec and he finally sleeping again and things have gotten a little better (i think).

I was thinking about trying gripe water though before we decided just to medicate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My baby never acted like he was in actual pain, just spit up like crazy and fussed a little during feedings, but the amount of spit up was making him dehydrated.

The sitting up works, but not always.... So, I finally gave into meds... he no longer arches his back, or seems aprehensive to eat... but he is still grunting like crazy!

Im starting to wonder if he just grunts alot, or if its the acid reflux... Im actually waiting for a call back from my Pedi now, because last night and this morning seemed awful. He grunted for HOURS.. and I noticed it kinda made him stir enough to wake him up....

• I would be inclined to think that if a baby can not show reflux symptoms by solely inclining the mattress and sitting upright after a feeding, they don't really have reflux to begin with (or have such a mild case of it it's not really appropriate to medicate).

If your LO has an actual case of reflux where they're screaming in pain, I think it's pretty cruel to let them suffer for the sake of not medicating them IMO.

I guess it all depends on the baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started off saying no to the med. If there are other ways to deal with it i wanted to do those first. But it got to the point where DS would scream after feedings because he would spit up so much. We have been on meds for a little over two weeks now and he is doing much better.

If you can control his reflux without meds i say give it your best shot! I hope it works out for you!

• imageiamflamingo:

is anyone not giving their LO's meds?

SO does not want to give DS any type of meds and would rather just deal with it in other non medication ways... i.e. incline mattress, upright feedings, 30-40 minutes upright after feeding.

in a way i agree as i think DS is to young to be on meds (he is only a month old!) but maybe that is me being not experienced. even when i tell my father or grandmother about it their old fashion ways kick in and say no to the meds..

anyone else going the non med way? 

My LO has reflux and we have opted not to medicate.  We have recently changed formulas to try and help. We also stop and burp him every 1/2 - 1 oz, keep him up for 30 mins after feeding, inclined sleeping, and really focus on not over feeding him. We have seen a huge improvement with the spit up. He still has some reflux but he seems to be much happier.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"