Stay at Home Moms

Health Insurance

I'm going to be a SAHM within a few weeks. I've been looking online for some medical coverage that will cover pregnancy. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover pregnancy? Seems like all of the ones I have contacted, do not offer this.

Re: Health Insurance

• Does your s.o. not have health insurance you can get on?  I know many times insurance will not pick people up mid-pregnancy because of the pre-existing conditions clause, but this may have recently been outlawed.

Sorry, I am not too much help since I am just on dh's insurance.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pregnancy is a pre-existing condition so most won't. You might have to look into Medicaid...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Its going to be really hard and expensive to find coverage.  Are you being laid off or anything?  If you are voluntarily becoming a SAHM, maybe you should wait until your baby is born.
  • imageali-1411:
    Its going to be really hard and expensive to find coverage.  Are you being laid off or anything?  If you are voluntarily becoming a SAHM, maybe you should wait until your baby is born.

This. 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Do you currently have coverage through your employer?  If so, you can look into getting on COBRA.  Or if your husband's open enrollment is coming up he can add you on at that time or if you are getting laid off/losing job that is, I think, considered a life changing event so you don't have to wait until open enrollment.
  • imagelittlemermaid:
    Do you currently have coverage through your employer?  If so, you can look into getting on COBRA.  Or if your husband's open enrollment is coming up he can add you on at that time or if you are getting laid off/losing job that is, I think, considered a life changing event so you don't have to wait until open enrollment.

Her husband wouldn't even need open enrollment.  A spouse quitting work is considered a life changing event.  We went through this when I quit working when ds was 10.5 months.

• I'm pretty sure that Congress did away with the pre-existing condition part.
  • imageEveryNameIWantIsTaken:

imagelittlemermaid:
    Do you currently have coverage through your employer?  If so, you can look into getting on COBRA.  Or if your husband's open enrollment is coming up he can add you on at that time or if you are getting laid off/losing job that is, I think, considered a life changing event so you don't have to wait until open enrollment.

Her husband wouldn't even need open enrollment.  A spouse quitting work is considered a life changing event.  We went through this when I quit working when ds was 10.5 months.

this. i just got on DH insurance in Jan and I'm preggers. until the health care bill is repealed (if it is) insurance cos can no longer deny you for a preexisting condition. if your H/SO doesn't have coverage most states will cover pregnant women w/o insurance, but i think it's income based you will have to check with the department of health and human services. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"