Military Families

Intro from Whidbey Island, WA

Hi there,

My husband and I just recently found out that we are expecting our first child in October! He's been in the Navy for almost 5 years now and is currently working on his reenlistment paperwork. We're definitely going to be a 20+ year Navy family. 

Unfortunately, this pregnancy came a few months earlier than expected since he will be deployed until the end of November/beginning of December. This won't be our first deployment but it will be interesting to see how it all pans out with me being pregnant and all of our family living in Florida.  

I look forward to getting to know some of you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Intro from Whidbey Island, WA

• Welcome and congratulations!!!!  I hope that everything goes well with your pregnancy and that this board is able to give you answers and comfort while your husband is deployed :)

• Ah, good ol' Whidbey!  That was our last duty station :)  We live in Italy now.  Who knows where we'll go next!  We absolutely loved our tour there and that's where DS was born.  I was on Tricare standard and had him at Whidbey General.  I highly recommend it as I believe that private rooms are standard at Whidbey General where as they have shared post partum rooms at NHOH.  Just a thought.  It is a bit pricier to be on standard, so examine your options and your finances first.  But I just wanted to offer up that info.  I really enjoyed my experience at Whidbey General.

Best of luck to you.  H&H 9 months!  Oh, and please remove the deployment return dates from your OP.  I know you gave an approximate time frame and not an exact date, but it is still technically an OPSEC violation.  That date (despite being approximate), plus the photo of the plane in your siggy pic telling me what type of unit your husband is connected to, and my familiarity with Whidbey's deployment rotation (since DH was stationed there in the not distant past) means I now know exactly which squadron your husband is a part of.  That makes the date even more of a problem since it can be attached to an actual unit.  If I can figure it out, the bad guys can too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband is deployed and has been since LO was 6 weeks old! You can always ask if you have questions or a hard time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Welcome and congratulations! We're at Ft. Lewis and we travel up to Whidbey Island occassionally, DH has family up there :)
  • It

imagedesmerelda317:

Ah, good ol' Whidbey!  That was our last duty station :)  We live in Italy now.  Who knows where we'll go next!  We absolutely loved our tour there and that's where DS was born.  I was on Tricare standard and had him at Whidbey General.  I highly recommend it as I believe that private rooms are standard at Whidbey General where as they have shared post partum rooms at NHOH.  Just a thought.  It is a bit pricier to be on standard, so examine your options and your finances first.  But I just wanted to offer up that info.  I really enjoyed my experience at Whidbey General.

Best of luck to you.  H&H 9 months!  Oh, and please remove the deployment return dates from your OP.  I know you gave an approximate time frame and not an exact date, but it is still technically an OPSEC violation.  That date (despite being approximate), plus the photo of the plane in your siggy pic telling me what type of unit your husband is connected to, and my familiarity with Whidbey's deployment rotation (since DH was stationed there in the not distant past) means I now know exactly which squadron your husband is a part of.  That makes the date even more of a problem since it can be attached to an actual unit.  If I can figure it out, the bad guys can too.

It's funny that you mention Whidbey General, I actually work there! It's definitely a thought but i'm still looking into it. I'm just curious if that would change my PCM because I love love love the doctor I currently have.

And just a comment in regards to your second paragraph. Your assumption that the plane in that picture is one that he works on or that that picture was taken even on the base where we are stationed, is incorrect.
    It is public knowledge of the approximate dates. If you google commands that have their own website, deployments are listed. Approximate lengths are nothing new. Nowhere does it have any specifics movements though because that would be the opsec violation. So, if you knew my husband's command it would be listed on their official website as well.
    Besides, when does anything work out the way it's planned in the military?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageatchaleigh:

It

imagedesmerelda317:

Ah, good ol' Whidbey!  That was our last duty station :)  We live in Italy now.  Who knows where we'll go next!  We absolutely loved our tour there and that's where DS was born.  I was on Tricare standard and had him at Whidbey General.  I highly recommend it as I believe that private rooms are standard at Whidbey General where as they have shared post partum rooms at NHOH.  Just a thought.  It is a bit pricier to be on standard, so examine your options and your finances first.  But I just wanted to offer up that info.  I really enjoyed my experience at Whidbey General.

It's funny that you mention Whidbey General, I actually work there! It's definitely a thought but i'm still looking into it. I'm just curious if that would change my PCM because I love love love the doctor I currently have.

And just a comment in regards to your second paragraph. Your assumption that the plane in that picture is one that he works on or that that picture was taken even on the base where we are stationed, is incorrect.
    It is public knowledge of the approximate dates. If you google commands that have their own website, deployments are listed. Approximate lengths are nothing new. Nowhere does it have any specifics movements though because that would be the opsec violation. So, if you knew my husband's command it would be listed on their official website as well.
    Besides, when does anything work out the way it's planned in the military?

Hmm, you know?  I don't actually know about the PCM thing.  If you're already on Standard, I don't think you'd have to change.  You'd just have to get an OB.  But if you're on Prime I think you would have to change because switching to Standard means you're only seen on a space available basis on base.  Cool that you work there though!  Small world.

Well, I assumed that was the P3 static display at Whidbey and if it was that would make sense it is your husband's plane.  Doesn't really make sense to take a photo in front of a Prowler display if you're a P3 family, that was my logic.  Either way, I stand by what I said.  Let the Navy make things public knowledge if they want.  But we as spouses should be super careful with the dates we give, even when approximate because we never know if we just might be slipping up.

Anyway, welcome to the board and H&H 9 months to you :) 

• Hello!! Oh how I miss Whidbey!! My aunt and uncle live there (and both teach at the HS)  my daughter lived with them while I was deployed for 16 months!!  I was army out of Ft Lewis and spent every weekend up there for the longest time.  and last summer I drove from Kansas to spend 2 months there while My husband was deployed.!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"