3rd Trimester

the GD diet

I gained a lot more weight in one week doing the 30/15/45/15/45 diet than I was gaining before.  I mean a lot more.  I knew I was eating a lot more because I was eating constantly, but this is ridiculous!  How in the world are you staying within healthy gain guidelines while on this diet?  The only thing I can think to do at this point is cut back on fiber, resulting in more net carbs per item, but that doesn't seem like the healthy way to go about this.  I feel like some days I'm eating sweet snacks that I don't really want just because I'm supposed to have the carbs.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: the GD diet

• you may need to tweak the diet. I was only allowed 20 g from breakfast and 30 for lunch for example.

How have your number been? I'd take those to your next appt and discuss the weight gain with your doc. It may just be a blip/growth spurt or something....my weight gain slowed down a lot once i started the diet.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I think it might be a fluke.  Either that or your GD is really mild and maybe you are eating a bit too much.  I had GD with DD, and now have had type II diabetes with this pregnancy and really only gained 20 pounds with DD, and 17 so far with this baby.  I was not overweight to start with.  I found especially with DD, once I was diagnosed with GD that I gained next to nothing.  It was really hard to gain weight.  I should add that I take insulin.  Not sure if that makes the difference.  I hope things even out for you!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My weight gain has slowed since being on the gd diet. But I'm also eating fewer carbs (15 at breakfast, 30 at lunch) to keep my sugars normal.

What are you eating for snacks that are sweet? I would talk to your nutritionist about some healthy alternatives. A few examples of what I've been eating for a snack are: string cheese with kashi multi-grain crackers, a small piece of fruit with almonds, or a kashi chewy nut bar. You could also have plain yogurt with some blueberries and nuts mixed in, wheat crackers with natural peanut butter, or cottage cheese and fruit.

I wouldn't cut back on the fiber.

Hope that helps!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    m/c 6/10 
    missed miscarriage discovered at 11 weeks, natural miscarriage at home one week later 9/13
  • Uh, I'm NOT dieting while pregnant. I'm just eating well-balanced meals with the occasional treat. :)

I've gained the exact average amount someone who is 32 weeks pregnant is supposed to gain, just by eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm getting full. (which isn't a whole heck of a lot of food these days!) :)

I wouldn't stress about it. Just eat real food, and eat when you are hungry. So simple, really. 

• imageRedmondMama:

Uh, I'm NOT dieting while pregnant. I'm just eating well-balanced meals with the occasional treat. :)

I've gained the exact average amount someone who is 32 weeks pregnant is supposed to gain, just by eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm getting full. (which isn't a whole heck of a lot of food these days!) :)

I wouldn't stress about it. Just eat real food, and eat when you are hungry. So simple, really. 

Oh S%$#, I'm an idiot.

Sorry, I just realized that GD probably means "Gestational Diabetes", right? Please forgive me, I'm feeling bitchy and hormonal. And the damn bump wouldn't let me delete my stupid comment.

:( 

• I would definitely check with your nutritionist, if you're gaining too much they will be able to modify the diet for you. Also, just because you're eating the right carbs doesn't mean you're eating the right foods. Are you eating high calorie foods that are low in carbs but might be high in fat? What are you eating with your carbs (as in protein and fats?) Could you be possibly over eating other things?  Do not cut down in the fiber, fiber helps slow the rate of digestion of the carbs a little and also helps keep you fuller longer. 

The best thing to do is check in with the person who gave you the diet and have them re-work it for you or look at what you've been eating to evaluate it.

• imageRedmondMama:
    Oh S%$#, I'm an idiot.

Sorry, I just realized that GD probably means "Gestational Diabetes", right? Please forgive me, I'm feeling bitchy and hormonal. And the damn bump wouldn't let me delete my stupid comment.

:( 

Big Smile  Sometimes I feel like it does stand for something besides gestational diabetes.

Thanks for the tips, girls.  I have a borderline case, so I don't even take my sugars.  My doc just does some screening at my regular visits.  I've never been a snacker, so I think that's where my biggest problem lies.  I think for now I'm not going to count net carbs and see how this week goes.  Then I'll talk to the doc at my appointment next week.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"