Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Is your 7-8 month old making consonant sounds?

Mine isnt and was curious to see where others were at.

someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Is your 7-8 month old making consonant sounds?

• yes.   He prefers the "b" sounds.  He says others (K, M, N, G), but mostly its blah, baa, bah, boob... He started about a week ago, when he was 7.5 months.  It just kind of all of a sudden happened and now he babbles non-stop.... "sings" and "reads" to himself in babbles.   He also answers our talking with babbling.  
  • We get Bababa, but that's it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear bah, goo, and da a lot.  He only makes "m" or "n" sounds when he's whining.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Usually I wake up to the monitor saying "mamamama", "dadada" or "nananana" and the rest of the day is full of grunting, and a mixture of noises! We have a loud one and she loves to screech!! 
  • babababababa, and when she's mad she'll blubber mamamamaama.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lo's favorite "word"/sound right now is "dada". She giggles and screeches a lot.
  • last month it was laaaala laaaala. This month it is babababa. He has been doing a lot of screeching lately and this morning he said ummm ma.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lots of screeches.  The only consonant sound they make on purpose is dadadada.  Like the pp, I only get maaaaaaaa when they're whining. Of course. Big Smile

• Mostly 'buh" and "mmmmmmmuh" - the sounds where he presses his lips together. The more 'tongue' consonants - not yet (duh, kuh, etc) - not so much, although he was making "guh" sounds in the very beginning (mostly "ah - goo!")
    image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD does duh/da, ga/guh, yah and ba/buh mostly. And still a lot of singing/screeching with no consonants. At 6 months, she had only done a handful of consonant sounds total (and the nurse at pedi's office said that was fine), but it really picked up about two weeks ago.
  • If I'm remembering correctly, your DS2 was a colic-y baby, right?

My DD1 was a very unhappy, colic, reflux baby.   She did not babble consonants until 10.5 months.    She was on the later end of most milestones - I used the reasoning 'while other babies were practicing roll-ing over and social smiling...my DD1 did nothing but cry, eat and make grumpy faces - no wonder she is a little late on other milestones'.   HA.  

My DS2 is a happy, more-easy-going baby and has been babbling b, m and g sounds already.

All kids are different - no worries with your DS :)

ETA - my crab-apple-DD1 caught up in all her skills and is now very normal

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We happened to be at a pedi visit and mentioned we weren't hearing consonants.  She said she doesn't worry unless he is behind in more than one area and since he started crawling at 6.5 months she thought he was just busy working on other things.  True to my LO's style (he does everything we mention as a concern to the doctor within hours) he started "goo" and "duh" and chats using them every day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He was doing the ah-goo from the beginning, but not anymore.  There are no consonants at all, but he talks with his vowels and voice inflections all day long!  Every day I ask him to start!
  • DD says dada a lot. When she is whining or mad, she says nanananana repeatedly. Sometimes it sounds like she is saying her name (Ella), and occasionally I get an honorable mention (mama) when she is crying.
  • imageEMWindy:

If I'm remembering correctly, your DS2 was a colic-y baby, right?

My DD1 was a very unhappy, colic, reflux baby.   She did not babble consonants until 10.5 months.    She was on the later end of most milestones - I used the reasoning 'while other babies were practicing roll-ing over and social smiling...my DD1 did nothing but cry, eat and make grumpy faces - no wonder she is a little late on other milestones'.   HA.  

My DS2 is a happy, more-easy-going baby and has been babbling b, m and g sounds already.

All kids are different - no worries with your DS :)

ETA - my crab-apple-DD1 caught up in all her skills and is now very normal

yeah he was definitely colicy. Honestly I have been getting a bit worried about it lately, so its good to hear your experience:) He has been crawling since six months, pulling up at 6.5 months and now standing on his own, so who knows, maybe he is just too busy focuing elsewhere, ha!

someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"