December 2010 Moms

Working Moms Come In

How's it going with being back at work? How does LO do with daycare/sitters? If you haven't gone back yet, when do you go back? BF-ing/pumping moms - how's pumping going? Any tips/tricks for pumping at work?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Working Moms Come In

• I've been back at work since January 24th and I'd have to say that its gone pretty smoothly. C does well at daycare and even naps for them (I'm jealous) and pumping has gone better than I'd expected. At first, I was stressing about every ounce I was getting, but then I realized that C was going to eat *something* no matter what - whether it be fresh or thawed milk. It wasn't the end of the world. Chilling out about it made it a lot easier.

The one thing that sucks is having to work after a loooong cranky night. That's not fun!

When do you go back?

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• It was hard going back. I've been back to work for a month now and I still miss her like crazy everyday. But she does great with the sitter, our sitter absolutely loves her.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am going back on Monday.  Fingers crossed it won't screw up Thor's recent schedule too much... GL when you go back!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageamaragee:
    imageAllSmiles1210:

How's it going with being back at work? How does LO do with daycare/sitters? If you haven't gone back yet, when do you go back? BF-ing/pumping moms - how's pumping going? Any tips/tricks for pumping at work?

Today was my first day back. It wasn't sooo hard being at work... but I didn't really want to be there, lol. I was able to pump 13.5 oz. in 3 sessions, so I'm really hoping I can keep that up! My advice: make sure you pump in a room that locks :) I was so caught up with 'omg, I need to pump!' that I didn't think about locking the door... and within 2 minutes, my principal opened the door!! Luckily it wasn't all the way, because she had a student with her... that's all I need, for the rumor to start that Mrs. G has robo-boobies. 

LOL 

I'm glad your first day went well! I saw the sign they made for you on FB. So cute!!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

• imageOhSewCrafty:

I've been back at work since January 24th and I'd have to say that its gone pretty smoothly. C does well at daycare and even naps for them (I'm jealous) and pumping has gone better than I'd expected. At first, I was stressing about every ounce I was getting, but then I realized that C was going to eat *something* no matter what - whether it be fresh or thawed milk. It wasn't the end of the world. Chilling out about it made it a lot easier.

The one thing that sucks is having to work after a loooong cranky night. That's not fun!

When do you go back?

I'm glad it's gone smoothly for you! I hope A does better for her sitter than she does for me during the day with napping and wanting to be held. I'm kind of stressed about pumping because some days I have meetings back to back so I'm hoping I have enough time to pump.

I go back on the 21st and am dreading it. I think I've cried at least once a day the past week from thinking about it.

• imageamaragee:
    imageAllSmiles1210:

Today was my first day back. It wasn't sooo hard being at work... but I didn't really want to be there, lol. I was able to pump 13.5 oz. in 3 sessions, so I'm really hoping I can keep that up! My advice: make sure you pump in a room that locks :) I was so caught up with 'omg, I need to pump!' that I didn't think about locking the door... and within 2 minutes, my principal opened the door!! Luckily it wasn't all the way, because she had a student with her... that's all I need, for the rumor to start that Mrs. G has robo-boobies. 

Haha, robo-boobies! Way to go on pumping 13.5 oz! Good tip on locking the door. I'm going to have to pump in a room that's off of the bathroom so I might make a sign to hang on the door too.

• I just went back yesterday. I am only able to pump on my lunch break, but that has gone well. I do pump in a storage room off my classroom that locks but another of the teacher (a male teacher) has a key. He though has two young daughters and his wife is expecting their third so I just told him what I was doing and needed the room. He was cool. I did make a sign for the door. Also I read somewhere a suggestion to get a door stop (just like a wedge). I bought this at Wal-mart, and it is in my pump bag. I put it under the door when I pump. It just gives me a little extra security if someone does try to open the door, I have a few more seconds to stop them. Great idea whatever board I saw that on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAllSmiles1210:
    imageOhSewCrafty:

I've been back at work since January 24th and I'd have to say that its gone pretty smoothly. C does well at daycare and even naps for them (I'm jealous) and pumping has gone better than I'd expected. At first, I was stressing about every ounce I was getting, but then I realized that C was going to eat *something* no matter what - whether it be fresh or thawed milk. It wasn't the end of the world. Chilling out about it made it a lot easier.

When do you go back?

I'm glad it's gone smoothly for you! I hope A does better for her sitter than she does for me during the day with napping and wanting to be held. I'm kind of stressed about pumping because some days I have meetings back to back so I'm hoping I have enough time to pump.

I go back on the 21st and am dreading it. I think I've cried at least once a day the past week from thinking about it.

Aww, no worries! It gets easier - I promise! Smile

• I am spoiled.  DD goes to daycare at my office so I get to go down and nurse.  I also pump 1-2 times a day, but it's nice to have the option to feed her instead.  She has adjusted wonderfully.  Never even phased her.  The teachers tell me that she is by far the easiest newborn they've ever seen- not only did she adjust effortlessly, but she is already participating in class activities!  She loves circle time and insists on facing all the other babies while they sing songs!  Too cute!  As for pumping, my only advice is not to stress.  I take my iphone in with me and either bump, FB, or play angry birds.  Anything to just keep my mind occupied.  I get much better results in the morning (3-4 oz) so I usually let daycare give her a bottle then and I pump.  Then I might pump again in the afternoon depending on schedule but I only get about 2 oz for that one. 

• imageFive Months to Plan:
    I just went back yesterday. I am only able to pump on my lunch break, but that has gone well. I do pump in a storage room off my classroom that locks but another of the teacher (a male teacher) has a key. He though has two young daughters and his wife is expecting their third so I just told him what I was doing and needed the room. He was cool. I did make a sign for the door. Also I read somewhere a suggestion to get a door stop (just like a wedge). I bought this at Wal-mart, and it is in my pump bag. I put it under the door when I pump. It just gives me a little extra security if someone does try to open the door, I have a few more seconds to stop them. Great idea whatever board I saw that on.

That's a great idea!

• imageOllyO53:
    I went back February 2. I was so stressed out and crying like mad. My first day was rough, but after that its been pretty easy. Not to say I wouldn't give anything to be a sahm, but its working. Maci stays here 2 days a week, her future aunt babysits and I work from home in the afternoon. So far that is working great. 3 days a week she goes to a sitter, just her and 2 little 2 year old boys_both my friends. She does really well and its super close to my work if she needs anything. She never is crying when I pick her up. As for pumping, my supply isn't great, but we are getting by. I use some frozen to supplemebnt when needed. I pump 3 times a day and try not to stress. Life in general is BUSY. I feel like I'm constantly running, except now I'm bump from bb with lo in my arms. You will do great, and I would say I was freaking out and thought the worst. I still think about her constantly, and worry, but remember she is in good hands. Keep us updated on your first day! Maybe working moms check in? Sorry for typing a book!

I'm glad it's going well for you. I know you were having a hard time with going  back too. I do feel a lot better about our situation now since we switched to an in-home DC and not a center and my H will be home part time with her.

I thought about having a check-in. I think it would be nice to see how everyone is doing.

• imagemands629:

imageFive Months to Plan:
    I just went back yesterday. I am only able to pump on my lunch break, but that has gone well. I do pump in a storage room off my classroom that locks but another of the teacher (a male teacher) has a key. He though has two young daughters and his wife is expecting their third so I just told him what I was doing and needed the room. He was cool. I did make a sign for the door. Also I read somewhere a suggestion to get a door stop (just like a wedge). I bought this at Wal-mart, and it is in my pump bag. I put it under the door when I pump. It just gives me a little extra security if someone does try to open the door, I have a few more seconds to stop them. Great idea whatever board I saw that on.

The door stop is such a good idea!  I may have to copy!

I go back to work on Monday.  But DH and I dropped Lulu off for a half day today just so she could get used to her teachers and I could get used to dropping her off.  (And it helped that DH and I went to see a movie so we had a little day time date!)  I was nervous, but she did great.  And when I picked her up, her teachers had made Lulu a "My first day" book filled with pictures of her and the things she did while she was there.  It made me cry!

That's so sweet of them and a great item for the memento box! Good luck on Monday!

• imagemands629:
    imageAllSmiles1210:
    imagemands629:

imageFive Months to Plan:

The door stop is such a good idea!  I may have to copy!

I go back to work on Monday.  But DH and I dropped Lulu off for a half day today just so she could get used to her teachers and I could get used to dropping her off.  (And it helped that DH and I went to see a movie so we had a little day time date!)  I was nervous, but she did great.  And when I picked her up, her teachers had made Lulu a "My first day" book filled with pictures of her and the things she did while she was there.  It made me cry!

That's so sweet of them and a great item for the memento box! Good luck on Monday!

Thanks!  I'm sure I'll be a mess - so I'm preparing for the worst.

I like the idea of a working mom's check in.  That way we can all support each other.

And AllSmiles, what was your old bumpie name?  For the life of me, I can't figure out your old name, even though I recognize your siggy... I'm blaming my mommy brain!

I'm fmgric e :-)
  • I've been back at work almost a month now - it sucks being away from DS, but it is nice feeling like a normal adult again and I love my job.  We have a babysitter come to the house two days a week and I take him to my parent's house the other two days that I work.  He is doing great with it so far and I think they like having him.  Pretty happy with the childcare situation so far.

Pumping at work sucks - I'm a vet and the room I use to pump also stores cat carriers and has 2 employees dogs in it in their crates and a ton of boxes, and I get walked in on despite the sign I put on the door, and if I forget to turn the heater on in the morning it is COLD in there. When my co-workers aren't in the office I will use our office, which I prefer (I share it with 3 women, and 2 could care less if I pump in there but it freaks one out so I can't do it) since I have a phone and computer if I need it and it's nice and warm.  Plus, my pumping time gets moved around or I end up working through it then forget until it HURTS!  I need to be better, because I'm worried my milk supply will drop.

• I went back to work last thurs.  Pumping is going ok, but I only get 15 mins for a break and I'm always late going back.  Some things that help me are prepping at home (having my pump parts all put together, using wipes for a quick clean, and calling DH (I work when he doesn't work) so I can hear my LO (I need help with let down).

I hate being away from LO.  I got moved down to part time which is great!  I mostly work half days.  :o

Married 7/10/2009 * DD 12/2/2010 * DS 4/24/2014
    2 babies in heaven (mc)

Blog: ForLoveofCupcakes.com

• I'm going back on Tuesday, and I'm petrified.  I'm sad about leaving DD at daycare (stupid me was reading about attachment parenting and they said that futlltime daycare can ruin an infant's life), and I'm nervous about all the logistics involved in getting everyone out the door on time.  I'm also going to be pumping at work and still don't have an adequate pump (I'm waiting until I get some medications in order before I know whether I can actually keep BFing).

She is going to a home daycare setting (max 12 kids) so I feel like that will be a lot different from a big institutional setting.  There is also another baby there who is 1 month older than her, so they can really grow up together.

Needless to say, I keep having nightmares (not getting dressed, leaving the baby at home, picking things off the floor and putting them in my mouth), and I came back to the bump to find other mommies going through this.  Let's have at least a weekly check-in!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"