2nd Trimester

DH taking time off after baby comes..

Just wondering what your DH's plans for when the baby comes...Are they using sick days, is their jobs giving them time off, or are they not taking time at all??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DH taking time off after baby comes..

• My DH gets 8 weeks paternity leave. 
  • The Mr. gets 18 days off a year and he also gets a week of paternity leave. He's going to take a week off after the baby is born, and then will likely take whatever time off he has left at the end of the year for our first holiday season as a family.
    J+C est. 6.22.08
    Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH gets no paid leave for any reason so we'll probably minimize his time off as much as possible. At the moment, he's more willing to give up the money than I am. But he has several 3-4 hour shifts per day rather than one 8-hour shift, and just a five minute commute, so it currently seems like less of a big deal for him to go in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • His job is giving him a week off (unpaid).
  • you could have opened the post called paternity leave.
  • Dh will be taking off two weeks when the baby is born.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wish I knew. My DH is currently not employed. He is trying to do his own construction business, but that hasn't really taken off. If he's still doing that than he will probably take off until we feel he needs to get back. If he is back to his old job, then he will probably just take a couple days off.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine will work from home for a couple of weeks.
  • We are not positive yet because his company is in the process of getting bought out, so we will have to see what the new companies policy is. If they dont' provide any paid leave like his current company does then he will probably just take a week after the baby is born of vacation time and then later that month he is already taking another week because he coaches high school football and they have double sessions the last week of the month so he will be at football but not all day which is nice. 
  • My husband's work is great, they just give him a full week that doesnt come out of his leave time and any timethat he needs to come to appts etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a contract worker, so I don't get paid time off. So after my 4-6 weeks off (depending on how much money we save) he will take two weeks of his paid vacation time.

• imagebnicoledavis:
    My DH gets 8 weeks paternity leave. 

8 weeks??? WOW! That is awesome! You sure you aren't going to want to strangle him before those 8 weeks? LOL! My hubby gets 3 weeks a year paid leave, but can only take 1 week at a time so I will be leaning on mom, dad and sister for help if I need it! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • DH let his boss know he'd need time off when the baby was born.

I went into labor on Thursday morning so he called in to work, had her on Friday, and we left the hospital Sunday. He went back to work on Tuesday or Wednesday?

He's off on the weekends anyway so he took 4-5 days of earned time.

• My husband has plenty of leave but don't know how much he'll actually take. I think he'll definitely take 2-3 weeks when the baby is born and then maybe another week when I start transitioning back to work.
  • My husband's company has the most generous paternity leave policy I've ever heard of: 12 weeks, 100% paid!

Unfortunately, his job is pretty intense and unrelenting, so it's very unlikely he'll get to take even a week - would be bad for his career path sadly :( 

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• DH gets 2 weeks paid leave for the entire year. He is taking one paid week off when DD is born, and we are "saving" the other week for Christmas.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • He gets 6 weeks of paternity leave but will take home only a portion of his pay.  He has plenty of vacation time so he is taking 2 weeks of vacation after the baby is born instead of using paternity time.
  • DH gets paternity leave but only plans to use 2 weeks of it. 
  • He gets 3 weeks paid paternity leave if he uses it immediately after the baby is born. This does not count against his sick or vacation days. He'll probably use 2 weeks.

Quick side note to vent that he gets more paid time off than I do! I have suggested that he should have the baby, but he hasn't taken me up on my offer...

• imagewkfouts:
    His job is giving him a week off (unpaid).

Ditto. 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He gets 2 weeks paid paternity leave. Then about a month or two later, he'll take his week vacation.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My hubby is college faculty sooooo we're super lucky because school lets out in early May, and I'm due on the 30th... So he'll be off until late August! :)  I work in a school and I am almost in the same boat... Leaving a little before the end of the school year 6 wks, of maternity leave, and then hopefully using my FMLA time to cover the summer session I'm supposed to teach! It'll be a good summer!
  • My husband has to use a week or two of his own vacation time.  Or he can choose to take time off without pay.
  • Dh gets 6 weeks paid paternity leave and has a year to use the time.  He is going to take at least 3 weeks when she comes and then will spread out the other 3 weeks. He also has 5 weeks paid vacation a year, so he has plenty of time he can take.  

It's depressing I'm a teacher and his paternity leave is better than my maternity leave.  I am very thankful that his company is very family friendly.  We are getting all kinds of perks like pregnancy and parenting books, a $500 visa gift card for take out/diaper service/cleaning service.

• Last time I gave birth on a Sunday, came home on Tuesday, and DH went to work on Wednesday. Honestly, it was probably better that way because he doesn't do well without a 'purpose' to his day and somehow simply keeping a newborn alive isn't enough to fulfill that for him. He's a carpenter, so any time off is simply unpaid and he'll have a pile of work waiting for him when he goes back.
  • Husband gets 2 weeks paid paternity leave that doesnt count against his regular leave days. We have to use it within 6 months and I think that if we dont use it in a reasonable amount of time (or have a plan for using it), his boss may just make him use it (he's military.. looks bad on the supervisors if their guys arent taking leave).

If I have an early baby, he'll probably take the full two weeks once baby is born. Otherwise, he'll probably wait until after my mother has left.

• DH gets a better leave than I do. He gets 2 weeks paid paternity leave, I get FMLA which of course is unpaid and 6 weeks of Short Term Disability but only paid for 5 of those weeks. I can use PTO and sick days, but I'm worried that I'll use too many and not have anything left to take if the baby gets sick or I get sick. It doesn't matter too much b/c I'm leaning towards staying home anyway.
  • mine will be in his first semester of nursing school, so unfortunately not. but i think he will get some paternity leave from his ROTC duties for a few weeks.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We're not sure what our plans are yet.  My husband, a pastor, has 8 weeks paid paternity leave available to him.  When our second child was born he used 6 weeks but had a lot of people at church upset with him for taking the time off from work.  This is our third child (our other two will be 3yrs11mos and 2yrs5mos when #3 arrives) and I know I'll need the help at home at the beginning, but we're not sure how to handle the situation to reduce the conflict with church members. 
  • yes, for two weeks but has to use sick days. 
  • in the canadian military they get 10 months paid leave. so we will have almost a year off together. I work from home so I may go back after a few months to avoid going insane.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My husband will take a few of his vacation days so that he will be able to be with me.  So he will probably be off for a week or two.  His sick time and vacation rolls over in June or July I can't remember so he will have more time come August when my due date is. 
  • My husband can actually take up to 3 months off over the course of an entire year that doesn't count against his sick time/comp time/vacation time but it is all unpaid.  However he typically takes a lot of the summer off anyway because his son from a previous relationship comes up so he will be off 2-3 weeks at a time throughout the entirety of my maternity leave.
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • As far as we know my husband gets nothing.  Since I will be off for the summer I get to use that time.  Hopefully his boss will do something nice for him so he can get to stay home for a while while we adjust to a new person in our house. 
  • We both work for our county, but at different locations. He is going to use his 2 weeks vacation when the baby is born. We dont have paid paternity, or maternity leave working for the county.  For maternity I am offered 12 weeks of guaranteed insurance but I still have to pay for it even tho I'm not getting paid.  I'm due the end of September so I've been saving as much money as possible and I'm going to take off until after the new years.  We do have quite a few paid holidays in November and December that add up to a week and I have 2 weeks paid vacation, 5 paid personal days, and saving my paid sick time. we should be fine.  When he goes back to work my mom is going to help a little as well.
  • image1momma:
    you could have opened the post called paternity leave.
    You could have a less annoying ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"