May 2011 Moms

anyone not taking a class for birthing?

we have not signed up at all for one. Can we get away with not going to one?

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: anyone not taking a class for birthing?

• We have not signed up for one either...honestly I haven't eve thought about it..not sure if we are or not!
  • We probably won't take a birthing class either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never taken one and this is my third- I honestly think you can learn and prepare more by listening to these ladies!  Just my opinion! 
  • I had questions about this too... I posted it on third tri yesterday... might be helpful...

birthing classes...clicky poll

• I'm going to the final class only, where they discuss postpartum care and take a tour of the hospital.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't do one for my 1st and I was glad I didn't.  It was unnecessary.  DH is a paramedic so he knows what to expect.  My birth plan was go to hospital and have a baby.  I ended up getting an epi and loved it.  I just went along with the flow of labor and the nurses told me what to do and when to do it. 
  • If you know that all you want is to get an epidural, or if you are having a c-section, the class won't help much.  It's pretty much just going through hospital policies and things like that(if you take the one through the hospital).  The only thing you may want to look into, no matter what type of birth you're having, is breathing/relaxation techniques.  If you'regetting an epi. you have to already be dialated to a certain amount to get it, so you will have to deal with some contractions first. with a c-section you culd go into labor before you're schedualled surgery and will need to stay relaxed.  But if you're trying go all-natural you really should look int some type of class.  It does help to have TONS of knowledge.  The more calm and relaxed you are durring labor, the faster it will go!  Goood LUCK!
  • Sure you can - but if you don't take ANYTHING , including a hospital tour, you'll end up like my SIL...

who showed up to the hospital, picked up the receptionist phone, and said, "um, i think I'm in labor.  Should we go ahead and head upstairs?" 

• I have pretty much already done a tour of the hospital and know how the epidural goes. Same hospital where I miscarried my twins and it also is the same location where my ob is out of.

Anniversary

• Have not signed up for one.  I asked my OB about whether it was really that necessary.  He told me that I don't really have to.  But I'm in the medical field, so maybe that's why.
  • I am not doing one. After reading some stuff here as well as info from my sister and best friend, I decided it isn't really necessary for me.

• I asked the same question and was told to try the "laugh and learn series".  Try going to your local library or netflixs.

There is laugh and learn about childbirth, infant care and breastfeeding.  I am so surprirsed on how much info my DH remebered.  I am going to order these dvd's again closer to my due date.  It was a great series and gave us more info!

HTH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagesmilingjb:

I asked the same question and was told to try the "laugh and learn series".  Try going to your local library or netflixs.

There is laugh and learn about childbirth, infant care and breastfeeding.  I am so surprirsed on how much info my DH remebered.  I am going to order these dvd's again closer to my due date.  It was a great series and gave us more info!

HTH

That's a great suggestion!  I just added Laugh and Learn infant care on our queue.  Any other DVD's out there that were helpful?  

• I'm not taking one.  I'm planning for a natural Bradley method birth, and we don't have any Bradley classes offered locally.  I don't think that the hospital classes would really prepare us for the type of birth experience we're desiring. 

Our doula is going to go over labor and pain management techniques with us. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Well, obviously you'll end up with a baby with or without the class.

For me, it makes me feel better to have more information. I also think that the class will be a good place to force DH to sit down and get the basics, as while I'll read lots on my own, he won't. Our class is only $20, though, for 3 evenings. If it was $200, I might be willing to skip it.

If you have no interest in birth classes, I will still suggest you take a breastfeeding class if you're thinking of breastfeeding. Everyone seems to see more value in those than the regular birth classes, and they are often free (or you can go to a La Leche meeting for free).

• imagetokenhoser:

Well, obviously you'll end up with a baby with or without the class.

For me, it makes me feel better to have more information. I also think that the class will be a good place to force DH to sit down and get the basics, as while I'll read lots on my own, he won't. Our class is only $20, though, for 3 evenings. If it was $200, I might be willing to skip it.

If you have no interest in birth classes, I will still suggest you take a breastfeeding class if you're thinking of breastfeeding. Everyone seems to see more value in those than the regular birth classes, and they are often free (or you can go to a La Leche meeting for free).

All of this.  I want the most amount of information about the hospital and policies and what they expect as possible.  I will have my midwife (h's aunt) with me the whole time but I want to know everything they think/do as well.  Plus, my husband really needs to hear some of this stuff from someone that is not me.  And our birth class is covered under insurance.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If you are planning to say yes to drugs (i.e. the epi or the greatest invention of all time), you do not need one. It was the biggest waste of time and money EVER. Even if it was free, I'd tell you to pass.

If you are planning to go natural, I think it would be very useful for the breathing/pain management part. Just what I've heard from my Mommy friends who chose that route.

I also thought the BF class was a waste of time (not trying to argue with a PP, just giving my two cents). "Nursing" a doll couldn't be further from nursing a baby and it all became irrelevant and not helpful at all once squirming, fussing baby was there. The lactation consultants or a post birth BF class are awesome though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't go to one with our first.  We aren't going to one with this one either.  I asked my doctor about it with my first because scheduling just did not work out.  He said the baby would still come regardless.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No. I already know the hospital, I'm getting an epi and sooner or later I'll have a baby. H will be there, as will the docs and nurses, so I think I'm all set. I have anxiety issues, and I really believe that taking a class would make this birthing thing worse, not better.
  • I won't be.  I didn't go to one with DS nor will I with this one. Baby will come with or without the class.

Marley Soledad
    4/20/2011
    Photobucket
    Esma: I'll turn him into a flea. A harmless little flea. Then Ill put that flea in a box. And put that box inside another box. Mail that box to myself. And when it arrives. ILL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER. Its brilliant, brilliant, brilliant I tell you. Genius I say.
    Or to save on postage. Ill poison him with this.
  • I just watched a dvd when I was pregnant with my son. I skipped the c-section part and ended up having an emergency c-section.
    Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We decided not to... I don't know if it's a good choice, I guess I'll figure it out after I have the baby!! My Dr. said it's not a necessity... so we decided against it. I can't see myself sitting still for 2 8 hour classes!! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We are doing the class at the hospital.  I am hoping for a med-free birth and I've never been a patient in a hospital before (well, I did break the ice with a L&D visit last Tuesday Sad).  DH is more scared of the birthing process than I am so this will be to give him some knowledge of the whole experience.

I was in nursing school *gasp* 20 years ago, and still remember the birth I witnessed and some of the maternal/newborn nursing so I was initially going to skip it. 

Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We haven't registered for them yet.  I don't think we're going to.  The only part I'm interested in is the hospital tour.  We can do that for free with an online tour (I'd rather do it in person, but free is good).
  • We're not taking a class.
    Photobucket
  • The general birthing class at my hospital has a reputation for being pretty useless. They assume you haven't read a single book/article all pregnancy and even start by explaining conception.

I was going to take the separate breathing class because even people who end up medicated (which I fully expect to be) find it helpful but they recently folded that into the general birthing one. But it's still just a one-day class so I can't imagine learning a useful amount.

So now I'm looking into videos.

• Thanks for all the replies ladies. Dh & I have watched a few dvd's and have a few books on it. I think we will be fine without one.

As for the hospital tour ~ that I am good on. 

As for the breast feeding class, I have a friend that teaches one so I will seek her out when that time comes. I also know that the hospital has a LC on staff to help new moms out. 

Anniversary

• This is our first and we're not taking any birthing classes.  We're planning an elective c/s, anyway.  I always hear how people take them and then forget or don't use the skills.  And the last thing I want is labor and pushing, to be honest (part of my desire for the elective c/s).  :-)

We did a hospital tour a couple weeks ago, so we know where to go, where the c/s will be, checked out the rooms, etc.  We are taking a breastfeeding class b/c even though I plan on BF-ing, I'm intimidated by nursing and the pump.  (Seems funny that I'm not worried about the birth, but worried about pumping/nursing.)

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • I'm not taking a birthing class only because it's 3 weeks long and i really just don't have the time for it...

however, i already know that I want an epidural and that i need to get through the contractions beforehand, so i've been reading up on breathing/relaxation techniques. I just recently bought 2 books off Amazon..

The Big Book of Birth <-- really helpful so far

and The Complete Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth & the Newborn (4th edition)   

both have great chapters dedicated to positions that help with aches, positions to help with contractions, breathing techniques, etc. pictures too so they are super helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"