Working Moms

Nursing Mothers: What bottles do you use?

DD is in the midst of a nursing strike right now and I just received advice to switch bottles from Medela (apparently a fast-flow brand) to Born Free and to reduce the amount of milk per bottle so she doesn't overeat and has a desire to nurse in the evening/at night.

If you exclusively BF, which bottles do you use while at work? Are you finding bottle-to-breast success?

We've never had a problem until the past two weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursing Mothers: What bottles do you use?

• We had really good luck with Tommee Tippee bottles.  They are sold at BRU.
    DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11
  • Ours will basically take anything. We had them on bottles on day 5 because I had to supplement with pumped milk to make sure they were getting enough in the beginning. They never had a problem going from breast to bottle and we had received a few different ones. We now just stick with the Breastflow for DD and DS uses a Dr. Browns. He was getting more gassy in the beginning and this one seemed to help that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I use my ameda bottles that go with my pump, with a Dr. Brown's standard level 1 nipple. DD has had no problems going between bottle and breast, except for when my ILs were over feeding her.  What helped us was I now serve what I pump, so I label each bottle at the time I pump and instructed my ILs that they are to feed DD only that bottle around that time and nothing else.
  • My DD was more particular than DS.  At DCP's suggestion, we got her on Dr. Brown's.  Somehow they were able to get her to take them, and we haven't looked back.

The suck/latch is not the same as BFing, but there is no-vacuum sucking, so no air intake like BFing.  Downside-- price and lots of parts to clean, which isn't so great for WM's!

• Tommee Tippee bottles are the only kind my littly guy will eat from.  It started around 4 weeks old, he just started refusing any brand bottle with a "normal" nipple.  Luckily, we had been given 5 bottles of various brands from a knowing cousin at my shower.

• DD uses the Dr Brown bottles with the stage 1 nipples.  GL!
  • We used Avent with slow flow.  Stage 1, I think. Not the newborn ones.  Those worked fine for us.    
  • I never used anything besides Dr. Browns. DS did fine with them and was colicky, so I never wanted to mess with that.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • we used Medela and Playtex drop ins.
  • We use the Evenflo Zoo Friends bottles that I found at my local grocery store, and I use them with the Stage 1 nipples.  They are really inexpensive and I like that they are different than any other kids' bottles at care, especially because a new child 2 weeks younger than DS just started and he shares my DS's name.  My big fear is that they'll feed the kids the wrong breastmilk so having a unique bottle makes me feel better (I do put his full name on the bottles, but this gives me added peace.)
  • We ultimately used BreastFlow bottles.  DS wouldn't take anything else (we tried Medela, Playtex Drop-Ins, and Dr. Brown's).  He didn't really take much his first couple of weeks at daycare, but it got better.

I hope to use the same bottles for the new baby (with new nipples, most likely).

• We tried Avent first and she took them, but she drank them too fast and got gassy.  We switched to Dr Browns and have had no troubles switching back and forth from bottle to breast.  The time it takes for her to eat from the bottle or nurse is about the same now.
  • We use Playtex Wide Mouth w/slow flow nipples.  We haven't had any troubles.  *knocks on wood*
  • We use Playtex Wide Mouth Ventaire w/slow flow nipples.  We haven't had any troubles.  *knocks on wood*
  • One of my sons would only take Dr. Browns and the other would only take a bottle if it had a NUK latex nipple.
  • DS1- Avent

DS2- Breastflow (the first years brand I think)

DD1- Medela

DD2- Playtex nurser

As you see all of my babies took something different, I tried  the same bottles for each baby but they did not take well to them.  My suggestion would be to buy one bottle of a few brands and try them out on a weekend (pump and give LO a bottle) once I found the right bottle for each baby they went back and forth without  a problem, I BF for 7-10 months with all of them. GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • My DD was picky at first, but she likes the Playtex Dropins Nurser slow flow. This works out great for me, because I got the adapter kit and you can pump directly into the drop in. It saves me tons of bottles to wash and I have never had them leak (unlike the bags).
  • We use Dr. Browns. Travis is 6 mos old and just went to the level 2 flow nipple.  He's never had a complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"