Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Recommend Your Straw Sippy!

After doing some research I have decided to scrap the regular sippy cup and work on getting Liam to drink from a straw.  From what I've read it's better for oral-motor development and causes less problems when it comes to weaning from the sippy later.

Anyway, what straw sippy do you use and how did you encourage LO to use it properly?  Thanks! 

image image

Re: Recommend Your Straw Sippy!

• We use the playtex straw sippys and they are great! Logan refuses to hold his regular sippy up so i tried these and he gulps it down.

https://www.playtexstore.com/cgi-bin/item/PLA05855

Effing crazy people.
  • We also have the playtex, The only problem we have is we have a couple of these and a couple regualar sippys and she gets confused if she is suppose to be tipping it back or not :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thats a good question. DD has been drinking out of regular sippy cups since she was 4 1/2 months but at 11 months I definitely feel its time to try new things. I actually purchased the other day those Gerber Graduates Milk boxes with the straw. I wasn't sure if she would be able to drink out of the straw but she was and I of course was very excited. The problem Im finding is that she still tries to turn the box upside down while drinking out of the straw because that is what she is clearly use to from the sippy cup and sometimes if she puts too much in her mouth it drips all down her mouth bc she hasnt quite learned how to control that yet. She's doing great...you may want to try those out! 
  • We started him with this trainer one from target that has a squeeze side. You can squeeze it until it reaches his mouth so he can get the idea. It only take Z a few squeezes for him to get it. The problem was that it wasn't leak proof and I was not going to put my "golden supply" in that cup with my crazy walker.

I can't find a picture of it and I thought it was made by munchkin. I will try and find it.

After he got the hang of it we switched to this one. Z really likes this one and we take it everywhere. It has the leak proof straw and is durable. 

Luv n' care nuby sippy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemonj76:

We use the playtex straw sippys and they are great! Logan refuses to hold his regular sippy up so i tried these and he gulps it down.

That's it, it was playtex that had the trainer.

• imageMexiCali:

We started him with this trainer one from target that has a squeeze side. You can squeeze it until it reaches his mouth so he can get the idea. It only take Z a few squeezes for him to get it. The problem was that it wasn't leak proof and I was not going to put my "golden supply" in that cup with my crazy walker.

I can't find a picture of it and I thought it was made by munchkin. I will try and find it.

After he got the hang of it we switched to this one. Z really likes this one and we take it everywhere. It has the leak proof straw and is durable. 

Luv n' care nuby sippy.

This. The squeeze aspect was perfect!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • imagemonj76:

We use the playtex straw sippys and they are great! Logan refuses to hold his regular sippy up so i tried these and he gulps it down.

We use these as well as the Tommee Tippee straw sippies.  I like the Tommee Tippee ones because the straw is angled towards them, but they're a little larger.

• Playtex. I got 2 from Target and they match a real straw the best and it is a good length so he doesnt gag himself like a normal straw. After more practice I will get the take and toss sippy with straw but he can't control how much goes in and he always gags LOL... the nuby and other brands are too fat and he doesn't like those since he is so used to the skinny regular straws
  • We just got a couple on clearance at Sears.  They're also Playtex and have almost like a built in koozy lol.  I can't find a picture, but the top is like this:

They're not leak-proof, but we are only putting water in it right now so if we go out I just wait and fill it when we get where we're going.   She "got" the straw right away after a month of just chewing on her regular sippy and it seems like it will be more convenient in the long run!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• DD uses Nuby No Spill flip n sip

She never did get the hang of a regular sippy so I tried these and she looooves it.  

Woman, I said put down the camera!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"