3rd Trimester

Breast pump

I plan to nurse, but if it doesn't work out, that is ok, too.  I'd really like to be able to pump so that DH can be apart of some of the feedings, but am wondering if I should get the pump now before baby comes or if I should wait to make sure baby is taking to breast feeding.  What did you do? 

And also, I remember reading somewhere that the Medela pump was recalled...anyone know the deal w/ that?  Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast pump

• It wouldn't hurt to wait a few weeks to get a pump to make sure BFing is working out for you.  You don't really want to offer a bottle right away anyway.  And I know that my hospital will give you a single electric pump (Medela Swing) if you need one, and you could certainly get by with that at first.  Not all do that, but its certainly worth finding out.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I were you, I'd buy the pump in advance but keep it closed and sealed with the receipt in case it needs to be returned.  DS would not latch on and never did, so I ended up EPing.  I did not have my pump in advance, and it was very stressful trying to figure out what to do while I was in the hospital.  I was exhausted, overwhelmed and my hormones were crashing, and I had the lactation consultant screaming at me about how it was VITAL that I had a pump immediately.  So poor DH had to run all over town trying to get me a pump.  Anyway, yeah, I'd buy the pump in advance and then if your LO takes to BFing and you don't need it, you can return it.  

Don't worry about the Medela recall, I think they got that all straightened out.  I don't remember what the problem was, but I had a Medela PISA for my first LO and I had no qualms or concerns about getting another Medela this time around. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • My pump was covered 100% by insurance, so if you find that BFing is not working out for you, talk to your doctor about it and you might be able to get him/her to write you an Rx for a pump. 

I knew I wanted to have the pump from day-one. Baby still got the best nourishment, but I was off the hook for feeding once or twice a day when DH could take the reigns, ya know? I would still BF during the day usually right before naptime or bed. The pump was also really convenient to have when we traveled or if my parents babysat one afternoon. I feel like pumping gave me the freedom I needed to keep me sane, and baby still got the breastmilk. I pumped for 11 months with no issues whatsoever. 

As for the Medela recall, it's not anything you need to worry about. The ones recalled were made in feb 2010 and it's only bc the motors on some of them were botched. They've all since been replaced, so no worries. 

• You should wait at least 2 weeks, preferably 3, before starting to introduce a bottle.

That being said, I went ahead and bought a $35 manual pump ahead of time. It was inexpensive, and I kept the receipt and will just return it if there is a problem with BF. If necessary, I will upgrade to an electric. Just thought it was smart to try the inexpensive option first.

I bought it now to get the registry completion discount -- something to think about. It can always be returned if you don't open it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagehmontty:

You should wait at least 2 weeks, preferably 3, before starting to introduce a bottle.

That being said, I went ahead and bought a $35 manual pump ahead of time. It was inexpensive, and I kept the receipt and will just return it if there is a problem with BF. If necessary, I will upgrade to an electric. Just thought it was smart to try the inexpensive option first.

I bought it now to get the registry completion discount -- something to think about. It can always be returned if you don't open it.

I'm wondering if you have any other kids because a hospital will give your baby a bottle if you have any problems BFing. Most hospitals will encourage you to pump to get your BM to come in if it's not there within an hour or two of your baby's birth. 

Manual pumps are a HUGE pain in the ass - have you ever used one? And if it doesn't work out, you can't return it if it's been opened. It's not like a swing or a mobile. 

• imageRubineLime:
    imagehmontty:

You should wait at least 2 weeks, preferably 3, before starting to introduce a bottle.

Manual pumps are a HUGE pain in the ass - have you ever used one? And if it doesn't work out, you can't return it if it's been opened. It's not like a swing or a mobile. 

Exactly...if for some reason BFing doesn't work out and I never get to use the pump (i.e., issues with flow, problems with blood sugar, etc., where the baby is put on formula), I will return it UNUSED and UNOPENED. I think it's quite obvious that you can't return a used breast pump. :) And as I stated, if the manual doesn't work out, I will upgrade (and take a loss on the $35). Better to try the $35 pump than spend $200-300 unnecessarily -- but that's just my opinion.

I'm wondering if you have any other kids because a hospital will give your baby a bottle if you have any problems BFing. Most hospitals will encourage you to pump to get your BM to come in if it's not there within an hour or two of your baby's birth.

My lactation consultant told me that IF you BF, you should not give the baby a bottle for two or three weeks. I am certain that rather than having the baby starve to death if she doesn't take to BFing, the hospital will give her a bottle, but I don't believe the OP was talking about that kind of circumstance. We are talking about successfully BFing and pumping.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Just as an FYI, your breastmilk may not come in for SEVERAL days...not just a few hours like pp mentioned. Your colostrum is enough to sustain baby until then. Don't let the hospital tell you differently and coerce you into giving a bottle, unless there is an actual medical reason for baby to need formula, if you're planning on EBFing.
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• im personally waiting. I dont want to offer my boy the bottle to early to confuse him and i also want to get my milk in and flowing nicely :)

seen as im lucky enough to be a stay at home mum, i probably wont want a pump till I decide to work again or want DH to help with the feedings.

xxx

Daisypath Anniversary tickers pregnancy due date
  • Thanks girls!  I ended up buying one w/ my registry completion coupon, but will keep it closed until I 100% need it.  I feel better having it home though in case some sort of circumstance arises and I need it.  Thanks again!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm no expert on BFing as I've never done it before and have only taken a class and read about it up until now.  However, this is what the lactation nurse who taught my class said:

- Your colostrum is enough to sustain LO until your milk comes in (which, as PP said, will take several DAYS).  The colostrum is very filling, plus your LO's stomach is only the size of a small marble when he first comes out...just large enough fill with colostrum.  Over the next few days his stomach size will increase right around when your milk comes in.

- If, for some reason, LO does need additional supplementation, the hospital can give him formula (and it doesn't have to be done by bottle if you are concerned about nipple confusion).  However, obviously breastmilk is the best choice, both volume-wise (per the lactation nurse, formula is typically given in greater quantities than what LO really needs initially) and quality-wise.

- She advised us to wait about a month before introducing bottles to avoid nipple confusion.  I've read this in several other places as well.   If you need to pump before then, you can store the milk you pump in the freezer for later.  Be sure to use a storage container designed for freezing BM.  Don't freeze BM in a Playtex Drop-In, for example, because when the milk thaws the hindmilk sticks to the sides and LO misses out on it.

- She recommended waiting to buy a pump until you know you need one, but did say that the double electric ones are worth their weight in gold if you get a good one (she rec'd Medela PIS and said that she'd seen other brands do "damage," whatever that means).  Until then, they are available at the hospital to rent.

Everything I have read says that a manual pump is fine if you only plan to pump occasionally/recreationally.  However, the electric ones, especially the doubles, are much better about maintaining your supply and are really what you need if you plan to pump a lot.  I do, so I have a double electric.

Check out medical supply websites that require you to call in for pricing.  They are legit Medela dealers (just not allowed to publish their prices on their sites).  Often you can get a Medela PISA for around $210, $220 from those sites.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"