1st Trimester

What are your baby name pet peeves?

I hate names that end in the same sound that the last name begins with, so you never really know exactly what the person said.  For example, "Tell him Jack Garret's calling."  Sorry, what?  Jack Rabbit?

I know I'm not the only one with a pet peeve or two.  What are your baby name pet peeves??

Re: What are your baby name pet peeves?

• extra letters to try and make them unique. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Naming all of your children with names that start with the same letter.  Or rhyme.
  • Loading the player...
  • Spelling names in a "unique" way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • Putting an apostrophe in a first or middle name.
  • imageJenniferAnnes:
    Spelling names in a "unique" way.

This exactly. I feel so bad for the kids. I am someone who ALWAYS gets my name spelled wrong and it's a nightmare. Putting in a tricky "y" or silent "h" or something of the sort is going to give your child a headache for years to come. Plus, it doesn't change the sound of the name, everyone will still say it the same, so why be "unique?"

DD #1 4 years old (09/22/09)
    DD #2 2 years old (08/17/11)
    DD #3 born 08/29/13

• imageJenniferAnnes:
    Spelling names in a "unique" way.

This exactly. I feel so bad for the kids. I am someone who ALWAYS gets my name spelled wrong and it's a nightmare. Putting in a tricky "y" or silent "h" or something of the sort is going to give your child a headache for years to come. Plus, it doesn't change the sound of the name, everyone will still say it the same, so why be "unique?"

DD #1 4 years old (09/22/09)
    DD #2 2 years old (08/17/11)
    DD #3 born 08/29/13

• Made up spellings. Or made up names...

Then again, everyone thinks I made up the name and spelling for my daughter's name, but I didn't. I used the same spelling as I found and researched it to be. Still get crap for it.  

BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Boys names for girls. You think it's adorable to name your daughter Ryan or Charlie, but it's not going to be adorable at all when she's 12 years old, overweight and awkward, least of all to her.
    "I
  • I appreciate everyone's oppinion! However my name is Jordyn.. spelt differently and growing up it was only a boys name. I grew to love it! I do have to tell people that it's a "Y" instead of an "A" but what's 2 seconds?
    Photobucket
  • imagetalltalltrees:
    Boys names for girls. You think it's adorable to name your daughter Ryan or Charlie, but it's not going to be adorable at all when she's 12 years old, overweight and awkward, least of all to her.

I've also never been a fan of it. If it happened to me I would think my parents really wanted a boy or were trying to be trendy in the 80's.  

• Really don't like boys' names on girls.  I don't like unisex names either.  

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I hate when people replace normal vowels with Ys to make their name "unique" like Brytyny. I also hate ghetto made up names like D'Eontra'y. I'm also really over the whole Caden/Brayden/Hayden/Jayden and Madison/Addision thing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, and I hate when someone puts an accent mark in a name, but that ISN'T where you actually pronounce the accent! Like the actor, Raven-Symone'. Drives me nuts!

• imageBee101:
    Naming all of your children with names that start with the same letter.  Or rhyme.

ITA

But I have a lot of peeves.

* alliterative first and last names

* first and last names that end with the same sound

* random ys thrown in for funsies

* misspellings

• Trying to make a traditional name unique through spelling manipulation.  Not only is it indecisive (do you want a traditional name or not?), but it sucks for the kid. 

Now, a few years ago a friend of mine legally changed the spelling of her own name because as an adult she decided she wanted something a little funkier.  THAT's her choice.  But to do that to a kid... you're forcing them to endure a life of misspellings and mispronunciations.

• A friend of my mom's from college is Johnny Johns. No kidding. Why double up like that? And a lady at our church is Jackie Lynn, because her parents didn't know how to spell Jacqueline. I am good friends with a girl named Cyndi and blame her parents for trying to be cool, it was the eighties after all. My parents gave all of us classical names with classical spellings, except for my brother who is Jon, not John. But these alternative spellings just look bad on the parents afterwards, could they not spell or did they just not care?
  • imageTheFannins729:
    extra letters to try and make them unique. 

THIS exactly.  Or making up the spelling of a name in general. 

• Sorry but my mom made up my name and I love it! I dont see whats wrong with making up a name?? For me, my moms dads name is ken and her sisters middle name is dee so she named me Kendi after the 2 of them and then my middle name is Jo after my grandma. I think its unique and a good way to combine the ppl you love.

imageNurseMom1:

Made up spellings. Or made up names...

Then again, everyone thinks I made up the name and spelling for my daughter's name, but I didn't. I used the same spelling as I found and researched it to be. Still get crap for it.  

• imageJaysonandKristin:

Really don't like boys' names on girls.  I don't like unisex names either.  

+

This.  My SIL told me that when she had her daughter she had a name picked out for her whether she was a boy or a girl...Drew.  I don't like the idea of a name going either way.  BUT I am finding it so hard to pick out names that don't do that in some form because so many people cross gender names now.  Like I like the name Samantha but I know that can and probably will get shortened to Sam...there we have a boys name.

• My name is Devin, and I'm a girl. It upset me for a while, having a "boy" name, but now I think I'd hate being one of four Jessicas or Jennifers.

I am having a boy and his name will be Stark Paxton. I got the first name from and book and babydaddy picked out the middle name (his grandmother, technically).

• imageamy6152:

I hate names that end in the same sound that the last name begins with, so you never really know exactly what the person said.  For example, "Tell him Jack Garret's calling."  Sorry, what?  Jack Rabbit?

I know I'm not the only one with a pet peeve or two.  What are your baby name pet peeves??

Okay, i understand your pet peeve but your example so doesn't make sense to me. How does "CK" sound like "GA"??

I don't really have any name pet peeves though. Maybe im unique! Stick out tongue

• Good for you, Jordyn.  Love the name BTW.
  • @Bee101:  I know what you mean.  Choices like these make it difficult on family members too that are expecting, b/c obviously they might not want a part in your little game.  My sister named all her kiddos AA, JJ, & KK.  We loved a bunch of names starting with E for a boy & kept ending up with EE, which was a no-go.  Luckily we found out we are having a girl and could drop the EE drama (for this time around).
  • I hate made up names.. there are so many baby name books out there.. PICK ONE!!
  • imagejordyntarice:
    I appreciate everyone's oppinion! However my name is Jordyn.. spelt differently and growing up it was only a boys name. I grew to love it! I do have to tell people that it's a "Y" instead of an "A" but what's 2 seconds?

Exactly, Some of these pet peeves seem silly to me, and implying that it will affect how your child looks in the future is even more silly. Everyone's got their own quirks, but let's not forget that most parents put a lot of time and thought into their baby's name. My name is very different and would most likely would fall on most of the peeve lists here, but  I had no trouble spelling it as a child, and it makes for interesting conversation as an adult. Everyone wants to know what it means and how I got that name. That's a lot more interesting than picking something that has a  "normal" spelling and sound.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"