Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Starting whole milk

I'm sure this is asked ALL the time, but how did you transition?  Did you stop formula and give whole milk all day when you started? Or did you transition slowly? DD's one yr pedi appt isn't until the 15th (her bday is the 14th), but the pedi did tell me at a sick appt that it was OK to start about a week before her first bday. But we didn't discuss HOW to transition.  What worked for you?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Starting whole milk

• My doc said to try just switching, cold-turkey.  If that didn't work, then he said to do 1 part whole milk, 3 parts formula for a few days - Then do 1/2, 1/2 for a few, etc., until you were up to just whole milk.

I expected it to be a challenge with Jackson but he took to the whole milk without batting an eye - No mixing of formula necessary. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was drinking milk on morning, and he usually wants what we are drinking. So I let him have a sip thinking that he would hate it (supposedly real milk isnt as sweet or something like that). He loved it and drank the rest of my glass.

Maybe just let her try a sip or two to see what she thinks.If she seems to like it, offer her a little more. If not, I have heard of mixing like 2 parts formula 1 part milk for awhile, then gradually decreasing the amount of formula and increasing the milk until it is all milk. HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Our First Baby - Jax born 08/27/2009 BFP #2 01/27/2010 - Natural Miscarriage - 02/20/2010 @ 9w BFP #3 12/26/2010 - EDD 08/27/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We did it cold turkey. She was getting a bottle after every table meal so we just substituted a sippy of milk for the bottle of formula. She got a bottle on her 1 yr bday, the next day she was totally on whole milk from a sippy. We had stopped the nighttime bottle before that so it was a very easy switch for us.
  • DD was EBF, so we transitions to sippy cup one feeding at a time, slowly. Lunch and Dinner were the easiest to switch and did those the first week. First lunch for three days, then dinner for three days. Before bed and first thing in the morning were the last to make the transition.
  • We just went cold turkey and she was fine with it. We did go against our Pedi's advice and put in a bottle...gasp! I thought formula and bottle were a bit much to take from her all at once. Just see if DC will take it as is, and if not, try to mix them.
  • DS was already used to drinking water from a sippy.  He started refusing bottles and boob during the day around 10 months.  After about 2 weeks of that, I figured he was starting to wean himself, so I offered some milk in a sippy.  He took a few sips.  I just kept offering it at each meal.  It took a few weeks for him to get used to the taste and drink enough to get significant calcium and calories from it.  We were not in a rush because he was BFing at night.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • We started at 11 months by mixing whole milk with bm.  By 11.5 months he was on all whole milk and pump was retired Party!!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm still trying to figure this out myself.  Confused
  • imageMamatoJackson:

My doc said to try just switching, cold-turkey.  If that didn't work, then he said to do 1 part whole milk, 3 parts formula for a few days - Then do 1/2, 1/2 for a few, etc., until you were up to just whole milk.

I expected it to be a challenge with Jackson but he took to the whole milk without batting an eye - No mixing of formula necessary. 

Same here 

DD-2/7/10
    BFP-4/8/14

• I did it a little different.  I EBF until around 10 months or so and then supplemented with formula so by the time I went to whole milk, she was all formula.  I did it the same way for both transitions.  I started out with halfing one bottle with milk and formula for about a week, then did 100% all milk in 1 bottle for a week or so, with the rest of the day still formula.  Then I went to the next bottle- half and half for a week, and then 100% milk, so then it was 2 bottles for the day were all milk.  I continued until all bottles were milk and I was out of formula.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"