Babies: 9 - 12 Months

do you still swaddle?

I feel like a nerd, I bet I'm the only one that still swaddles DD for bed. LOL. I don't do it for naps, but somehow it is stuck in our bedtime routine. I guess I should start phasing that out.  :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: do you still swaddle?

• Oh my gosh, I think dd would freak out if I tried that.

Does your dd not roll over at night? I thought you were supposed to stop swaddling once they could roll over.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I dont swaddle but I have realized that dd sleeps better if I put a blanket over her (I use a crocheted (sp?) blanket)  I dont think she's cold I think she likes the weight over her, somewhat like when she was swaddled. 
    Happy Valentine's Day! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a friend who swaddled until her son was a year old.  He liked it but I laugh everytime I think about it because I just start imagining trying to swaddle either of my boys at that age.  They would flip the flip out.   DS #2 has quite a temper on him and I don't even want to imagine the fury he would unleash if I attempted the swaddle right now.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • No, because it's not safe...
  • Yes!  I feel like I am the only one who does it too but we do. She never sleeps less than 12 hours so I am not stopping any time soon.
  • No, we stopped at 5 months. Have you talked to your pedi about it? I also thought it could affect their growth as well as being unsafe since at this age most LOs are mobile.
    3/2009 ~ chemical pregnancy 7/2009 ~ BFP! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • not safe????? hip problems?? never thought these could be issues, guess i need to do some research. Thanks ladies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagearpslady:
    No, because it's not safe...

I don't think that is necessarily true.  My pedi said that it wouldn't do any damage to her, that it is just a preference for sleeping at this point.   That being said, he did suggest that we wean her from it (which was around 6 months) because we didn't want her to get used to that and be 3 years old and still need to be swaddled.   We don't swaddle her now unless she wakes up REALLY early, and then I'll swaddle her to go back to sleep for a few hours.  She has never rolled over while swaddled, but she sleeps on her side while not swaddled. 

• We do a light swaddle (basically lay her down on top of the blanket and wrap it around her arms). We don't to the same swaddle we did when she was a newborn, obviously. She gets out of it in the middle of the night, but she likes to be wrapped and rocked, so we do it. It's certainly not going to cause hip problems, lol.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • imageKirbus:

We stopped around 6 months.  

I think you're supposed to stop because it can affect their hips though. I'm not sure exactly what it can do, but I know I read something about that.

I think the hip issue is only when the lower part of the swaddle is extremely tight.  My understanding is that there are one or two cultures in the world that would run into this, but that the typical US swaddle (like HBOTB, for example), would not be tight enough in the lower half to cause an issue. 

• I still do! Don't see us stopping any time soon LOL
  • imagemkanderson85:

imagearpslady:

I don't think that is necessarily true.  My pedi said that it wouldn't do any damage to her, that it is just a preference for sleeping at this point.   That being said, he did suggest that we wean her from it (which was around 6 months) because we didn't want her to get used to that and be 3 years old and still need to be swaddled.   We don't swaddle her now unless she wakes up REALLY early, and then I'll swaddle her to go back to sleep for a few hours.  She has never rolled over while swaddled, but she sleeps on her side while not swaddled. 

That's kind of a silly reason. They'll kind of grow out of it on their own. DS stopped liking/ wanting it around 11 months, about the same time he started to wean from the boob. I can't see him ever wanting to be swaddled or even rocked to sleep at 3! They just... grow out of it.
  • imagemrstarawalsh:
    imagemkanderson85:

imagearpslady:

That's kind of a silly reason. They'll kind of grow out of it on their own. DS stopped liking/ wanting it around 11 months, about the same time he started to wean from the boob. I can't see him ever wanting to be swaddled or even rocked to sleep at 3! They just... grow out of it.

It was a joke on his behalf.  I guess it didn't translate.  Like when people say, "Geez, my kid will be 30 still using a pacifier."

• We swaddled with a miracle blanket until almost 6 months, though he was legs-out once his legs were too long. He's not a big mover at night (sleeps still in one spot like me), so we weren't too worried. Once he was too big to fit in the miracle blanket, we got a magic sleepsuit. Last night was his first night without the sleepsuit and it was not at all traumatic like we imagined.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've never heard that it can be bad for their hips, but I would imagine that it would be unsafe if your LO is mobile.  What do I know, though.  My SIL swaddled her DD#1 until she was almost 1 and now she's 3 and is a great sleeper with no hip problems.

::shrugs::

• We quit swaddling at 4.5 months because he was breaking loose, then less then 2 weeks later he finally rolled over, so then we would definitely have had to stop because once LO can roll over, it's not safe.  If LO rolls while swaddled and doesn't have arms loose to help adjust, it could be very dangerous.  We transitioned to a Halo Sleepsack, which replaced swaddling in his bedtime routine (plus is a safe way for him to sleep with a blanket and keep him warm all night despite his rolling). 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemkanderson85:
    imagemrstarawalsh:
    imagemkanderson85:

imagearpslady:

It was a joke on his behalf.  I guess it didn't translate.  Like when people say, "Geez, my kid will be 30 still using a pacifier."

Oh LOL. I was thinking along the lines of when people say they don't want to cosleep because they don't want a 6 y/o in the bed.
  • Yes and my son is 9 months...he rolls over at night and can get loose and often does but the swaddle helps calm him down and is part of our routine. Fwiw, I swaddled my dd until she was over a year. She was small for her age and eventually outgrew it. She's a great sleeper now...no hip problems, ha. When she was ready to give it up, it was no big deal, she just went to sleep. I worried a lot about it with my first, but now with my second, how long my kid will be in a swaddle is not even on my top ten list of concerns. It's really not a big deal...do what makes you and your baby happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"