High-Risk Pregnancy

My tiny GD baby girl is here: U/S was way off

Last Friday, Madeline Christine arrived via schedule C section at 37w2d due to complete placenta previa and gestational diabetes.  I was told at my 33 week ultrasound that she was already weighing 5lbs 13 oz and was in the 83rd percentile.  I was on NSTs for the last two months of my pregnancy and I continued to prep for this large baby.  What a shocker when she arrived weighing just 5 lbs 11 oz and only 18 inches long. 

Did anyone else have this big of a discrepancy on the estimated ultrasounds and delivery size?  I know that they are notoriously wrong by a lb or maybe even 2 but this was a real surprise.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: My tiny GD baby girl is here: U/S was way off

• congrats on your lil girl!  umm...but am i reading something wrong?  i hardly think that .2oz is a "big discrepancy".....???
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, my SIL just had a baby in December. They wanted to prep her for a C-Section warning her that the baby is 9 1/2 lbs. (She is very petite.)   The baby was delivered vaginally at 7 lbs., 7 oz.  It almost scares  me to think of innacurate estimates, especially when you are at risk for PTL.
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebride2be.austin:
    congrats on your lil girl!  umm...but am i reading something wrong?  i hardly think that .2oz is a "big discrepancy".....???

She was weighing 2 oz more than her birth weight 3.5 weeks before my c section date.  Typical non GD moms tend to have babies pick up half a pound a week which should have put her at around 8.5-9 lbs   since I had GD and her abdomen was measuring large- I was being told she would be 9+ lbs at birth.  

• My sister had a csection at 38.5 weeks because her GD baby was getting enormous - over 10 lbs!  Um yeah.  Major surgery for an 8lb baby - not necessary.  Sometimes they seem to be really off, especially when they are expecting huge babies.

Congrats on your daughter.

• With my daughter, I was told she was about 7.5 lbs.  She was 9 and I had a 4th degree tear because of her size.  Wish they had been a little closer with their guestimate!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She's precious, congrats!  So was your GD diet-controlled or were you on meds?  I'm always curious. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congratulations! She is gorgeous. I have heard of the u/s being off, but that is a huge difference.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Your little girl is beyond adorable!  I hope my ultrasound isnt off by that much.  I had a u/s on monday and they said he was almost 5lbs at 32 weeks they plan to induce me at 34 weeks unless he decides to come before then.  I will be heart broken if he smaller at delivery. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Mine was off.  4 days before my induction he was measuring in the 7 lb range.  He was 9.5lbs.  It was an easy vaginal birth. 

Congrats!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• OMG she is so cute!!! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • imageMandiNewMommy:
    OMG she is so cute!!! 

My thoughts exactly. Congratulations to you!

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • I had a small GD baby as well.

u/s at 38 weeks said 5lbs 3 oz... so they induced me b/c of her small size and I delivered the next day. She weighed 5lbs 11 oz.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had a 36-week ultrasound due to GD and I was told DD was 5 lb, 10 oz.  I had a c-section at 37w2d due to severe pre-e/HELLP syndrome.  DD was only 5 lb even at birth (1st percentile).
  • imagechicsub:
    She's precious, congrats!  So was your GD diet-controlled or were you on meds?  I'm always curious. 

I was diet controlled until 34 weeks and then started a small nightly dose of glyburide.  

• i was diagnoses with GD on thursday, when do they start doin u/s bc im already 29 weeks. im supposed to  try to contol my bs with diet bc i cant take the glyburide
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"