Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Son hates tummy time

My son hates tummy time with a passion. I try to limit the time he's on the floor (7 mins at a time & do this 3-4 times a day), get on the floor with him, switch out different toys, try reading, & put a rolled up blanket or my hands under his chest to help prop him up. Any ideas on how I can make this go a little more smoothly? I know tummy time is important for his development but he hates it & listening to him cry for most of tummy time is hard.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Son hates tummy time

• Options

Is he cold on the floor? LO isn't wild about tummy time on the floor unless he has a blanket over him. Since heat rises, floors are just colder places.

Have you tried doing tummy time on you--where you lay on your back and lay LO on you? Our guy LOVES that and is very successful that way, I suppose because his "breastcrawl" instincts kick in.

• Options

My DS lasts much longer on my chest.  The boppy works great too.  Maybe try doing it on a boppy on your bed to see if he likes that better.  We also have a little boppy type pillow that came with his play gym that we use.  We are slowing working our way back down to the flat floor but he is still not happy being flat on his belly for very long.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.  We weren't great with tummy time during that time because she hated it so much and it was such a chore.  Then, one day we tried it again, and she was lifting her head up and now rolling over just like we had been doing it all along.
  • Options
    It seems to help keeping LO off the hard floor. She does tummy time better when she's on our couch or bed. Also, the boppy is helpful.
    siggy
  • Options

imagecountrymice06:
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.  We weren't great with tummy time during that time because she hated it so much and it was such a chore.  Then, one day we tried it again, and she was lifting her head up and now rolling over just like we had been doing it all along.

This is what I'm hoping will happen for us! :)

• Options
    DD hates being on the floor too. I sit in a recliner with her on my chest, she will lift head to look at me.  I give her a bath every night and flip her on her stomach for a back rub.  She loves a back rub and will lift her head to look around the room.  I can get several min doing these two things- good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"