Breastfeeding

1st time mommy! Breastfeeding ?'s

Hi Moms:

I am going to be a first time mommy within the next 2-3 weeks and I have a few questions regarding breastfeeding. I would appreciate any advice!

1. Is there anything you can do to toughen and prepare your nipples for breastfeeding?

2. Suggestions on comfortable yet supportive nursing bras?

3. Any extra advice that is important or I should be aware of when it comes to breastfeeding my baby?

Re: 1st time mommy! Breastfeeding ?'s

• I don't think theres anything really to do to prepare your nipples for bf. You just have to barrel through once you start. I don't know about nursing bras, I just use the ones from Target, but I do love nursing tanks as opposed to bras. And my extra advice is that it is one of the hardest things I've ever done. So be prepared for it not to be as easy as you might think. Also, its totally normal for it to hurt longer than the books say, I had thrush at.5 weeks PP and so it was painful to bf for about 7 weeks.hope I was helpful!
    Sweet Baby Samson born 11.16.10
    Darling Little Sydney born 12.22.12
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • Hi Moms:

I am going to be a first time mommy within the next 2-3 weeks and I have a few questions regarding breastfeeding. I would appreciate any advice!

1. Is there anything you can do to toughen and prepare your nipples for breastfeeding?  A friend told me to just mess with them some & I had DH play with them pretty rough.

2. Suggestions on comfortable yet supportive nursing bras? I bought 2 nursing tanks @ target & I love them.  Very comfy!!!  Also I bought another bra there & its pretty nice too.

3. Any extra advice that is important or I should be aware of when it come s to breastfeeding my baby?
    Just keep it up!!  Try to start breastfeeding asap!!  If you can't breastfeed due to whatever reasons, start pumping.  I had to do that b/c Conner was having breathing problems & had to stay in the nursery.  But pump even if you don't

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi Moms:

1. Is there anything you can do to toughen and prepare your nipples for breastfeeding?  A friend told me to just mess with them some & I had DH play with them pretty rough.

2. Suggestions on comfortable yet supportive nursing bras? I bought 2 nursing tanks @ target & I love them.  Very comfy!!!  Also I bought another bra there & its pretty nice too.

3. Any extra advice that is important or I should be aware of when it come s to breastfeeding my baby?
    Just keep it up!!  Try to start breastfeeding asap!!  If you can't breastfeed due to whatever reasons, start pumping.  I had to do that b/c Conner was having breathing problems & had to stay in the nursery.  But pump even if you don't pump very much for the 1st couple days.  the hospital should have a pump.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• 1. Is there anything you can do to toughen and prepare your nipples for breastfeeding? No.

2. Suggestions on comfortable yet supportive nursing bras? I like my bravado nursing bras. And like pp, I highly recommend investing in some nursing tanks. They make life much easier. I sleep in mine, and often wear them under clothes (instead of a bra) or in the summer would even wear them on their own. I LOVE the bravado nursing tanks. They are pricey, but well worth the $$ IMO. Oh yeah.. and a warning... the lanolin stains!! So, when you first start nursing, wear nursing pads so your bras and tanks don't get stained!!!

3. Any extra advice that is important or I should be aware of when it comes to breastfeeding my baby? My advice to you is to let those close to you (your DH or SO, your mom if she is going to be there, etc) know how important breastfeeding is to you. Having a strong support system is such a huge help when tackling some of the speed bumps you may encounter when you first start breastfeeding. Also, if there is an LC hotline available to you (have that number handy) and bookmark kellymom.com (it's an awesome resource!)

• get a tube of lanolin and be ready to apply it after every time you switch breasts or are done nursing... you don't have to wipe it off before latching baby.

breastfeeding is made for babies... it isn't just about feeding them it has so many other benefits and exclusive nursing for the first six weeks and beyond sets your baby up for a lifetime of amazing benefits!

https://www.bestforbabes.org/expecting-moms/ 

https://milkforbaby.blogspot.com/ 

https://milkmatters.org.uk/over-101-reasons-to-breastfeed/ 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • 1.  Not really and I don't think this is really necessary. 

2.  I love my Bravado nursing bras.  They are a little on the pricey side, but totally worth it to me.  I wear them 24/7 and they are well-made and easy peasy.

3.  I got a lot out of my breastfeeding class - tons of helpful information and it helped to manage my expectations.  However, I have friends who said theirs was a waste of time.  I think it really depends a lot on who is teaching the class.  Not sure if you've already taken a class, but if not, it may be something you want to look into.  Also, just know that it is most likely going to be very difficult at first!!!  Don't give up too easily, however tempting it may be.  There may eventually end up being a valid reason why you can't continue, but give it some time first.  Push through - if you are able to get into a routine, chances are you will find it to be one of the most rewarding experiences ever. 

Enjoy these last few weeks and all of the best to you on your new baby!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i have the most sensitive nipples and DH kept telling me we need to toughen them up to prep for bfing...but i didn't want to do all the tricks, flick, tug, use a tooth brush, rub them, yuck! and i tell you bfing didn't hurt me at all.  8 weeks at it and still no pain, no dryness, it's all good in that department. so i say do nothing!

i love my sports bra style nursing bras. i have a wireless padded bra that i hate! and a wire pretty with lace bra that is nice too. just make sure you can open it comfortably and it exposes a good portion of boob. my padded one open folds open to just below the areola.

drink looooots of water. when i don't my supply decreases.

• I like nursing tanks better than nursing bras. I'm larger-chested, so I don't know if that's why. The bras just never fit right no matter the size.  "Toughening" nipples and all, those are OWT and NOT TRUE. It's definitely NOT necessary. You can use some lanolin cream beforehand if you want (I didn't). 

When it comes to nursing, you need to enjoy the bonding with you baby and not over-analyze and stress. I think if you are stressing about the age-old question "How much milk is baby drinking?", you will drive yourself nuts! The baby will be just fine. Just relax and try to enjoy the time you have. Drink lots of water! GL!

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

• imageBManquen:

1. Is there anything you can do to toughen and prepare your nipples for breastfeeding? Actually there is, every time you take a shower take your lufa(sp) or a dry wash cloth and rub them on your nipples. My mom's midwife told her about this and she had no problems when it came to BF and sore nipples. I am doing the same thing, but I have not starting BF yet.

2. Suggestions on comfortable yet supportive nursing bras? My favorite one is a wireless one from Target.

3. Any extra advice that is important or I should be aware of when it comes to breastfeeding my baby? I dont have any advice yet:) But I hope my answer to number helps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. Is there anything you can do to toughen and prepare your nipples for breastfeeding?

Nope. Don't take anything rough to them! You just have to get through the first couple weeks.

2. Suggestions on comfortable yet supportive nursing bras?

I love my Glamourmom nursing tanks. I have Bravado nursing bras, but those are more work attire.

3. Any extra advice that is important or I should be aware of when it comes to breastfeeding my baby?

There is so much said about nursing "being natural," but you and your baby have to learn together. Some babies would find their way to the breast on their own, but that is not always the case. My DD was in a baby coma and pursed her lips when I tried to nurse.

The only thing that got me through was the reassurance that I was doing fine and that we would ultimately "get it." We did and we're going on four months nursing.

So my best advice is to know that there will likely be a few hiccups, but you two will figure it out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks Ladies! I appreciate all of your advice!!! I am so excited about becoming a new mommy and all of the experiences that come along with it! I wish you all the best! And again thanks for the advice and support! :)
  • 1. mine got tough when i began nursing her. i didn't do anything special before hand.

2. Bravado Body Silk!!! Worth the money.

3. 1. Beware of formula companies. 2. Go with your instincts. Mother's intuition is usually right. 3. When in doubt, nurse. 4. www.kellymom.com is a great resource. 5. Don't be afraid to ask questions. 6. Research and read reviews before you buy stuff. Sometimes big name brands aren't necessarily the best, as in the case with my Medela pump.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"