3rd Trimester

Bad timing. Pet due date overlapping my own.

I'm worried about my lil' Penda Bear (my pet guinea pig). Guinea pig births are quick and dangerous. Also, there's some immediate action that has to take place so the father (Reese) doesn't accidently kill his babies or his wife. Not to mention after the birth(s) the babies must be separated from Penda because she may eat them out of anxiety.  I want to be there and help Penda in her delivery. The only thing that worries me is I'll be ready to pop at that time aswell. She could give birth anywhere between March 12 and April 1 (depending on the size of her litter); my due date is March 28. I don't want to worry when I'm going through my own labor that she will go into labor as well. I don't know anyone who can watch Reese and Penda, and I definitly don't know anyone who knows how to help in the birthing process. I mean, I do know someone who knows how to watch them and care for them during the birth, but that's my mother. It is certain that my mother will not be able/willing to miss her first grandchild's birth to watch guinea pigs.

Should I try employing the pet store (which has an experienced guinea pig breeder) to baby sit my piggy parents-to-be? Should I try leaving them with the vet (who I've never met)? Or should I just pray Penda goes into labor before me, and if she doesn't, separate her from Reese and let nature take it's place?

Re: Bad timing. Pet due date overlapping my own.

• SurpriseIndifferent

I didn`t realise anyone over the age of 8 kept guinea pigs. Is this MUD?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • You could try a vet but remember someone is not there 24 hours a day, just during business hours and then some extra hours for boarded animals. Good Luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If this isn't MUD, I would say seperate the parents and let nature take its course.
    waiting on our little monster

<a href="http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/mrsoh/?action=view
  • Best. Post. Of the day.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • O...K....Did you mate them on purpose? How would you know exactly when she conceived to know the EDD? I had hamsters when I was 12 and I didn't know they were the opposite sex and I walked in one day to find one of them giving birth. I took the male out and left the mom with the babies, she didn't eat any of them. I would just wait and see and if you go into labor before she does (wow) separate the male from the female and babies.

Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageWhen we wished upon a star...:
    Best. Post. Of the day.

Oh thank goodness. I was thinking perhaps I was being mean to guinea pigs by thinking this is definitely the weirdest post of the day.  

• This almost makes up for no Happy Hour beer on a Friday afternoon.  Thank you...and good luck! Tongue Tied
  • This is hilarious MUD.
  • My brother bought one, Ralphie, when he was in high school. Ralphie started gaining a lot of weight after Bryan (my brother) got him home. At first we thought it was a tumor. It wasn't. Turns out Ralphie wasn't a "he" it was a "she" and she was preggo. Shortly after Ralphie gave birth, she ate her offspring. Moral of the story: Ginuea (sorry if I misspelled that) Pigs are evil whores who eat their young. Get rid of it and get a dog.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Okay, now that my jaw is off the floor, I'll answer for the sake of entertaining myself.

I would totally explain this situation to your doctor.  Tell him/her that you must be induced early for the sake of your little piggy.  I'm sure your doc will understand and sympathize.  Your baby may be a little small, but oh well right?  At least your guinea pigs will be safe.  Or if your doctor won't do that - take them to the hospital with you if you go into labor before the piggies are born!  If a nurse/doctor has a degree to practice on humans, I'm sure they could help with the animals too.  It's all the same, right?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Whomp! Guinea pigs are amazing pets, don't hate! Picking fun at my pet choice doesn't help this hormonal mama-to-be. I am serious, I wasn't expecting her to be expecting and the last thing I want to come home to with my baby is dead guinea pigs. Whom I've been caring for while over flowing with maternal instinct so I obviously have a strong bond with them.
  • imageSunshinies:
    Whomp! Guinea pigs are amazing pets, don't hate! Picking fun at my pet choice doesn't help this hormonal mama-to-be. I am serious, I wasn't expecting her to be expecting and the last thing I want to come home to with my baby is dead guinea pigs. Whom I've been caring for while over flowing with maternal instinct so I obviously have a strong bond with them.

I, for one, was NOT joking. I really, honest to goodness, believe that guinea pigs are evil whores. My answer was legit.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageSunshinies:
    Whomp! Guinea pigs are amazing pets, don't hate! Picking fun at my pet choice doesn't help this hormonal mama-to-be. I am serious, I wasn't expecting her to be expecting and the last thing I want to come home to with my baby is dead guinea pigs. Whom I've been caring for while over flowing with maternal instinct so I obviously have a strong bond with them.

I, for one, was NOT joking. I really, honest to goodness, believe that guinea pigs are evil whores. My answer was legit.

i just peed my pants over that

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    "If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes."
    -St. Clement of Alexandra
  • imagek_renee:

Okay, now that my jaw is off the floor, I'll answer for the sake of entertaining myself.

I would totally explain this situation to your doctor.  Tell him/her that you must be induced early for the sake of your little piggy.  I'm sure your doc will understand and sympathize.  Your baby may be a little small, but oh well right?  At least your guinea pigs will be safe.  Or if your doctor won't do that - take them to the hospital with you if you go into labor before the piggies are born!  If a nurse/doctor has a degree to practice on humans, I'm sure they could help with the animals too.  It's all the same, right?

First of all, this:most amazing thing I've seen all day.

Secondly, if she eats her young, the young weren't going to survive anyway. I had a hamster that ate 2 of her 8 because one was blue when it was born and one was dropped by someone who thought they could pick them up. 

Separate the parents, and go have your baby.

• "We went out to an open house at the hospital that I am delivering at, and came home to find out my female guinea pig, Penda, had gone into heat. Jealous of Keyon's father-to-be status, Reese, our male pet guinea pig, had to impregnate Penda. Reese is now very protective and caring for his wife. He brings her food and rubs his face gently on her tummy. This is the sweetest thing I have ever seen, especially because I'm not quite sure that this is anything close to normal in guinea pig behaivor. But now our family is expecting up to four baby guinea pigs the same week of my delivery. Our house will be bursting with new life this Spring."

I'm sorry, I'm a big meany today.  These almost-overdue-hormones are getting to me.  BUT IS THIS FOR REAL????

Pregnancy Ticker

imageSunshinies:

I, for one, was NOT joking. I really, honest to goodness, believe that guinea pigs are evil whores. My answer was legit

I love you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagek_renee:

Okay, now that my jaw is off the floor, I'll answer for the sake of entertaining myself.

You are either mocking me to the extreme or you're crazy. Obviously my child's health is more important to me than my guinea pig having a more relaxing delivery. And the rest I wont even touch on. I have I feeling everyone is taking my post differently than the way I intended it. I worried I will develope unnecessary anxiety during labor, that might cause me problems for my child's birth because I don't expect that I will stay rational during labor. I know that's silly to expect but I've been doing this through out the pregnancy, getting anxious over a lot of nothing. It's like crying over nothing when pregnant, a lot of women do it.

• What the hell is a whomp??

• imageSunshinies:
    imagek_renee:

You are either mocking me to the extreme or you're crazy. Obviously my child's health is more important to me than my guinea pig having a more relaxing delivery. And the rest I wont even touch on. I have I feeling everyone is taking my post differently than the way I intended it. I worried I will develope unnecessary anxiety during labor, that might cause me problems for my child's birth because I don't expect that I will stay rational during labor. I know that's silly to expect but I've been doing this through out the pregnancy, getting anxious over a lot of nothing. It's like crying over nothing when pregnant, a lot of women do it.

Pretty sound advice, if you ask me.

Pregnancy Ticker
    My brother bought one, Ralphie, when he was in high school. Ralphie started gaining a lot of weight after Bryan (my brother) got him home. At first we thought it was a tumor. It wasn't. Turns out Ralphie wasn't a "he" it was a "she" and she was preggo. Shortly after Ralphie gave birth, she ate her offspring. Moral of the story: Ginuea (sorry if I misspelled that) Pigs are evil whores who eat their young. Get rid of it and get a dog.

This is so very, very true! 

OP: wow, just wow.... please tell me you're joking because that has to be the funniest and worst thing I've ever heard in my life!

• imageEmjayTheHunted:

What the hell is a whomp??

I think it might be Ginuea Pig lingo. Though, I can't be sure since I don't spreckin' the language.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageSunshinies:
    imagek_renee:

If you convince yourself you're going to lose it you will.  Honestly, there was nothing else on my mind that day other then getting the kid out.  Granted I wasn't going to be the grandparent to a herd of Guinea pigs, but still...

• Whoops! I must be in the wrong place here... Confused
  • imageSunshinies:
    Whoops! I must be in the wrong place here... Confused

I think it's probably because we aren't vets....

just sayin'.

• imageSunshinies:

Did you mean to post here   https://www.i-love-guinea-pigs.com/ ?

• imageSunshinies:

WHAT?! No! I am very concerned about this situation and hope you're able to reach a conclusion. Please, please keep us updated!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLovingBaz:

imageSunshinies:

Did you mean to post here   https://www.i-love-guinea-pigs.com/ ?

Yes

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageSunshinies:

Look, if you are so worried about pets you can buy for 3$ in the PetSmart, to the degree that you can't handle labor due to your worries, it's not the labor that's making you irrational. 

That's already clearly the case. 

I'll send you 10 bucks and you can buy a whole new family of rats... I mean guinea pigs.  

• I think the only reason this sounds bizarre is because it's guinea pigs.  Most people make accommodations for the pets in anticipation of labor why should this be any different? 

If you go into labor before your pet, separate the male and female and call their temporary caregiver to come pick them up. 

I'm making plans for my dog's care for when I go into labor now.  You should do the same.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Google "pitocin dosage for guinea pig" and proceed with induction.  GL!!!!

Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
  • imageleneae10:

Google "pitocin dosage for guinea pig" and proceed with induction.  GL!!!!

Oh, oh! I'll scrub in if we have to do a C/S. I mean, I've had two, so I know what to do on a guinea pig.  

• imageDeansGirl0329:
    imageleneae10:

Google "pitocin dosage for guinea pig" and proceed with induction.  GL!!!!

Oh, oh! I'll scrub in if we have to do a C/S. I mean, I've had two, so I know what to do on a guinea pig.  

You'll have to order the appropriate tiny  instruments.

• What is wrong with you women?  I have seen several of the same miserable b*tches who replied with nasty sarcasm on this post, do it on others as well.  What ever happened to "if you do not have anything nice to say then shut the f up"?  You do not have to reply to a post if you think it is stupid.  Just move on to the more serious posts about what to wear to your shower or whether or not DH has rubbed his poor baby momma's feet enough today. 

When you have pets, no matter what kind, their well-being is important to you.  That is, if you are a resposible pet owner. 

That said, I would check with the pet store if they do have a Guinea pig breeder and see what they say.  They may just give you some free advice on what you should do if you go into labor before she does.

Now, this better not be a joke post after I just went off like this!!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This thread is full of win.  Why would you let your pet get pregnant while you are?  My cat has been going into heat every 2 weeks... but I don't need kittens.

Take the damn male out - I didn't realize that male Guinea Pigs were monogamous anyway... 

• imagebarcelonagirl:

I think the only reason this sounds bizarre is because it's guinea pigs.  Most people make accommodations for the pets in anticipation of labor why should this be any different? 

If you go into labor before your pet, separate the male and female and call their temporary caregiver to come pick them up. 

I'm making plans for my dog's care for when I go into labor now.  You should do the same.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong here. No offense.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Though I think you're nuts for worrying about a guinea pig going into labor when you are facing your own labor, I'm going to be as nice as I can.  Separate the piggies from each other and if the mother eats her babies it is because something was wrong with them to begin with.  Also-this https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/4110115/ShowForum.aspx may have been a better board to ask this on as it is the PETS board, not the 3rd tri board where they have better things to do than answer questions about guinea pigs.  
    TTC #1 Lap 11/5/10-large paratubal cyst removed. Stage III Endo removed Dx: PCOS Cycle 11: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI: BFN Cycle 13: Clomid 150mg + estradiol + IUI: ?
  • imageSunshinies:

so...you are afraid that the anxiety will cause you to eat your baby?  is that what this is all about?

"If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes."
    -St. Clement of Alexandra
  • That reminds me I need to schedule the midwife too.  

• I was curious so I Googled how to induce labor in a guinea pig.  Parsley seems to do the trick.  Take your piggy to Olive Garden for a nice dinner.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"