Babies: 0 - 3 Months

If you wear your baby while shopping advice needed

Trying to figure out the logistics of going shopping and wearing my DS in my Ergo instead of hauling around the carrier. And I live in Chicago where it is 10 out right now so just standing around outside the car trying to do this wouldn't work.  

So would I put on the ergo at home then put on my coat, drive to the store, sit in the back seat and take him out of the car seat and put him in the carrier and just wrap my coat around him while I go in and out of the store?

Re: If you wear your baby while shopping advice needed

• I'm having the same problem, so no advice but I am interested to hear what some experience moms have to say. 
    Birthday
  • I just wrap LO in a blanket and hurry inside then put her in the carrier once I'm inside. But we have two carseats in back so it's impossible to sit back there and put her in it. If you have room then that would work as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, that's exactly how I do it. I put the carrier on at home, sit in the back in the parking lot and put her in the carrier, wrap a blanket over her, and then shop. It feels like a hassle, but it's so much easier to shop without the carseat in the basket.

• I drive a van so I have plenty of space, but yes that's what I did. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the responses, going to head out and give it a try.
  • For this reason I haven't worn my carrier shopping and may not until spring! I have to bring a stroller if we go to the mall anyway for DD1, so it's not a big deal. DH has been doing the grocery shopping, and if I go to Target just to get out of the house, I put DD1 in the seat of the cart and put the infant carrier in the basket. It works out great because I can't spend much money if the cart is full.

• Ok, so this what I do. I usually wear a sweatshirt, or something warmer, and no coat. I dress DD up in something warm, like fleece footed sleeper. And a hat. We don't have a back seat to sit in (it's taken up by both carseats).

I strap on the waist buckle at home. Then I just put DD in the Ergo while standing next to the car, usually with the door open to block the wind. Yes, it's cold, but she's certainly not going to be harmed for being exposed for the 10-15 seconds it takes to walk inside the store.

I did this the other day when it was literally 9 degrees outside, and it went fine.

• image*sallymad*:
    I just wrap LO in a blanket and hurry inside then put her in the carrier once I'm inside. But we have two carseats in back so it's impossible to sit back there and put her in it. If you have room then that would work as well.

This is what I do if it is cold. I can't put her in the carrier in the back seat. No room!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Put the wrap on at home.  Then scoop her out of her sear and wrap her in a blanket until we get in the store.  Then i put her in the wrap and am on my way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, that's what I do. I usually have a blanket over her as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePinkJellyBean:

Trying to figure out the logistics of going shopping and wearing my DS in my Ergo instead of hauling around the carrier. And I live in Chicago where it is 10 out right now so just standing around outside the car trying to do this wouldn't work.  

So would I put on the ergo at home then put on my coat, drive to the store, sit in the back seat and take him out of the car seat and put him in the carrier and just wrap my coat around him while I go in and out of the store?

This is what I do with the wrap. For the walk in, I wear my maternity coat and button us both in.

• imagePinkJellyBean:

I haven't gone out with DD yet, but that's exactly what I did with DS. Put my Moby on at home, sat in the back of the car while putting him in it, then covered him up with my coat or a blanket while I walked into the store.

252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • I use a moby, but like a lot of other PPs have stated, I put it on at home, and then when it's time to go in the store, I just hop in the back seat with her and put her in it.
  • I was wondering this myself! thanks so much! such a pain to haul out the stroller sometimes and the car seat fills the shopping cart leaving no room for shopping! heheh thanks!
  • Just wanted to report we had a successful outing!  I did as planned and put the carrier on at home, then got in the back seat and put him in it.  There was a little bit of wiggling but I think with practice I'll get better at it.  And it made shopping soooo much easier then lugging the car seat!
  • The Peekaroo! It is a wonderful, warm little vest with a head hole for baby! You can get them at paxbaby.com. I love mine and we don't go anywhere without it.
  • I LOVE wearing my baby. I wear her everywhere and she seems to love it as much as I do. I wear a pouch type sling that is not adjustable. Here's what I do- I pack it in my diaper bag, once we get to where we are going, I pop in the backseat and put her in it there. I then put a blanket around the outside of the sling and then wrap my coat around both of us! She usually has a hat on too.

I'm moving to the Chicago area really soon! I guess I will really know what you are experiencing with the weather really soon!!!

Good luck!

• I have the Lillebaby Sport Carrier.  I just hop in the back seat, strap on the waist band, and then strap in my daughter.  Then I hop out of the car to secure the shoulder straps.  Works fabulously!  I live in a mild climate, so I can't offer any advice for keeping baby warm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"