Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Can you give a baby a bottle in the car?

Or is that bad for some reason? In a couple of hours we're leaving for a 6-7 hour drive and DH told me to pump and take a bottle so we don't have to stop EVERY time she's hungry (she usually eats every 2 hours during the day)....is there some reason I shouldn't do that? He said he's okay stopping if we can't give her a bottle but I admit it would be nice to have one just in case. If I'm remembering correctly there are a couple of long stretches where there really isn't a good place to stop.

Re: Can you give a baby a bottle in the car?

• I have plenty of times but must admit the burping is tricky. I usually unbuckle him and lean him forward in his seat to burp then buckle back up ASAP.
  • I think it's one of those things that's not recommended, but I've done it before and we all survived.  You'll probably have to make a stop or two for diaper changes anyway so maybe you can feed at those times too to consolidate the stops.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Loading the player...
  • I have given K a bottle while my husband was driving on several occasions, and each time I paid for it later.  Each and every time I did it, she had severe gas pains later in the day.  Even when she did burp in the carseat, she wasn't able to get it all out, and suffered later.

Hopefully your little one will be better, as I have friends who can feed their children in the car no problem, but it just doesn't work for us.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagegrantierb:
    I have plenty of times but must admit the burping is tricky. I usually unbuckle him and lean him forward in his seat to burp then buckle back up ASAP.

Indifferent

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagegrantierb:
    I have plenty of times but must admit the burping is tricky. I usually unbuckle him and lean him forward in his seat to burp then buckle back up ASAP.

Indifferent Please tell me you were joking.

DD {6.13.10} & DS {5.19.12}
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have done it a handful of times and my LO was just fine. I didn't unbuckle him to burp him...yikes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hmm...that is a good point, she does tend to get gassy so I think we will be better off to stop. Maybe I'll take a bottle just in case though, if I get a chance to pump.

That also reminds me that I wanted to get a bottle of mylicon, lol. Thanks ladies!!

• Yeah I just let him go without the burping.  DS doesn't always burp for me anyways.  He does he own thing already.  You should be just fine.

• imageBeerBeck:

imagegrantierb:

Indifferent

uh.........

OP, we drive 6-7 hrs frequently with DS (both sets of grandparents live out-of-state). I sit in the back seat and pump and bottle feed him. He usually burps ok in the seat (BUCKLED IN!!!!) and hasn't seemed to suffer for it later on. In fact, he usually sleeps really well those days... napping nearly the whole car ride and then STTN. It might just be something you have to test out with your LO. Obviously, if this didn't work for us after the first time, we'd figure out something else, but it probably cuts 60-90 minutes off our trip to be able to drive through feedings.

• I have done this with both DDs and never had a problem.  But I always keep them buckled in, they seem to burp themselves.
  • When we go on longer trips and LO wants a bottle we always pull over and stop. My thinking on it is that if LO were to choke or something, it would take me longer to get her out of her carseat to help her. That is my thinking and that is why I always pull over and stop when she needs a bottle on long trips.

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• We try to leave at LO's bedtime and let him sttn in the car.....I don't know if that timing will work for you though.....we do a 6 hr car ride almost every month and a half and that is our best way to travel....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegrantierb:

imageimage
  • imagegrantierb:

imageimage
  • imagegrantierb:

imageimage
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We recently took a 14 hour road trip and we had to stop every 3 hours (give or take) to get fuel so I would wake Hailey and feed her at those times. The rest of the time she slept while we drove.

Maybe your LO will sleep longer while driving and you can stretch out feedings?

I know people feed babies in the car (to each their own, but not a good idea), but I told DH I wouldn't. I did, however, start to feed her if I knew we were stopping within the next few minutes so I could burp her. I was too scared to unbuckle her to burp. Anything could happen. Just wasn't worth it to me.

• imageSookieFrackhouse68:
    Posted 3 times for extra emphasis, lol

LOL, well I did really mean it!

imageimage
  • EmbarrassedYikes! OK, so really it was just that once. I swear. Most times I've fed him in the car then we've stopped just to burp and yet other times we stop someplace where I can actually take him out of his seat to feed AND burp since he's usually been cooped up in the seat for a period of time. I just wanted her to know it was possible to feed in the car.

::goes back to just lurking::

• Probably flame worthy but i just lean by body over my DD carseat and put a boobie in her mouth. Works everytime. My daughter usually burps on her own when she is ready so that is not an issue for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"