Austin Babies

Florastor or Culturelle?

I'm on Tamiflu and it's giving my stomach hell. DD is supposed to start it tonight as a preventative, but I'm not sure I want to give it to her after seeing what it does to me. Would Florastor or Culturelle help either of us? I'm not familiar with either product. **Edited because the flu inhibits my ability to spell.

Re: Florastor or Culturelle?

• imageMrsRosie:
    We prefer Culturelle for Kids for A's tummy, Florastor Kids doesn't help him at all.  I know it does work for some, though!

This.  We started out with Florastor and it didn't do a darn thing for Luke.  After Rosie generously let us try some of her Culturelle his diarrhea all but stopped.

• Florastor kids worked for us for awhile but we had to use it along with other probiotics and in the end we had to take both kids off of it (it caused duder to tic).

We really, really like VSL#3 but they aren't cheap.  Maybe call or go in to Peoples and see what they recommend?  They are always super helpful and have a big selection of probiotics for kids and adults.  We've been on 4 or 5 kinds and liked them all with the one exception above.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Loading the player...
  • I went to buy Culturelle the other day and the pharmacist said that Florastor is recommended by more pediatricians and works much better, in her opinion.

I have tried both and haven't seen a difference with either...however, we are trying to get Spence's poops more soft and mashed potato-y instead of the rabbit pellets he keeps spitting out.

• I've only used Florastor for the boys because I can never find Culterelle (but I honestly haven't looked that hard).  I'm skeptical as to whether it actually helps them.  That being said, they've been diagnosed with toddler's diarrhea so maybe nothing would help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsRosie:
    imagejoyco:

I went to buy Culturelle the other day and the pharmacist said that Florastor is recommended by more pediatricians and works much better, in her opinion.

That's weird.  Our pedi and pharmacist both said they're almost exactly the same thing but for some reason one will often just work better.

When Teagan started to react negatively the first thing they asked was if he was on florastor still.  Kind of surprised me.

• Florastor Kids worked well for Cam. But FWIW, the ER doc did not sing the praises of giving Tamiflu to small kids and when I brought that up to our Pedi, he agreed saying he has to offer it but doesn't push it.

Hope you're starting to feel better and the kiddos stay flu-free!
  • imageMrsBeckO:
    Florastor Kids worked well for Cam. But FWIW, the ER doc did not sing the praises of giving Tamiflu to small kids and when I brought that up to our Pedi, he agreed saying he has to offer it but doesn't push it.

I'm torn on the whole thing. I don't want to give it to her unnecessarily, but I also don't want her to get the flu and we were in close contact the night I started showing symptoms and was conatagious. The pedi said to give it to her, but not DS since he had the flu shot this year. The flu suuuuucks.
  • imageEmer:
    imageMrsBeckO:
    Florastor Kids worked well for Cam. But FWIW, the ER doc did not sing the praises of giving Tamiflu to small kids and when I brought that up to our Pedi, he agreed saying he has to offer it but doesn't push it.

I'm torn on the whole thing. I don't want to give it to her unnecessarily, but I also don't want her to get the flu and we were in close contact the night I started showing symptoms and was conatagious. The pedi said to give it to her, but not DS since he had the flu shot this year. The flu suuuuucks.
    :( I'm sorry.

Hope the worst is behind you all.
  • imageMrsBeckO:
    :( I'm sorry.

Hope the worst is behind you all.
    Thanks, I hope so, too. And I should have told you on the phone earlier, but my doc said I wasn't contagious when I saw you guys on Monday. Otherwise I would have given you a heads up :)
  • imagecarlinlp:
    imageMrsRosie:
    imagejoyco:

I went to buy Culturelle the other day and the pharmacist said that Florastor is recommended by more pediatricians and works much better, in her opinion.

That's weird.  Our pedi and pharmacist both said they're almost exactly the same thing but for some reason one will often just work better.

When Teagan started to react negatively the first thing they asked was if he was on florastor still.  Kind of surprised me.

I really need to learn more about all of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"