Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Blocked tear duct or worse?

Sebastian just woke up from a nap and has green crusties around one eye. I am going to the pediatrician in an hour but wanted to see if any of your LO's have had this. Could it be a blocked tear duct or worse...pink eye? I don't notice redness in the eye but who knows :(

Re: Blocked tear duct or worse?

• Options
    Clogged tear duct. DD has the green crusties too, her pedi said it changes color when oxygen hits it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD was only 11 days old when I thought FOR SURE that she had pink eye. Luckily for us it was only a blocked tear duct! It really seemed like pink eye, the way the goop would continue to show up after being wiped out. 

Hopefully that's all it is for Sebastian! Our pedi just suggested that we wipe with a clean, damp washcloth and massage the eye/nose area to clear it up. It worked fine! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNhev:

DD was only 11 days old when I thought FOR SURE that she had pink eye. Luckily for us it was only a blocked tear duct! It really seemed like pink eye, the way the goop would continue to show up after being wiped out. 

Hopefully that's all it is for Sebastian! Our pedi just suggested that we wipe with a clean, damp washcloth and massage the eye/nose area to clear it up. It worked fine! 

This!  It took us a few weeks of massage when it would occur to get it to finally go away.   

• Options
    My lo also had this, the doctor prescribed eye drops and it went away in a little over a week.
  • Options
    DS had the same thing and our pedi said to massage the corner of his eye with a clean finger and squirt a little breast milk in his eye, do this a few times a day.  Wipe with a warm, clean cloth.  Boy, that cleared it up in a day or two!  He hasnt had any issues with it since.  
  • Options
    If you are going to the pedi soon, try not to wipe it too much. LO had something similar & the pedi thought it was a clogged tear duct or pink eye from my description but we were back the next day for other reasons and his eye was goopy that time. When she did a culture, she found it was a bacterial infection that needed antibitics. They gave me a gel to put in his eyes for 5 days and then he was fine.
  • Options
    My LO has it, and it comes and goes, all pedi says is to keep massaging his eye/nose, and cleaning with a clean damp cloth
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I just got back from the pedi (almost just wrote vet lol) and he said it was a clogged tear duct. He told me to message it and clean with cotton ball. Man does it really look like pink eye though except for the bloodshot eyes...so scary. Even though he told me the same thing you guys said I'm glad you ladies confirmed it- we weren't able to see our normal doctor and this guy was a little strange. At tge end of tge appointment he told me to go ahead and dress DS.....but his clothes were on the whole time!
  • Options
    I was just going to post this! We just got back from the ped for this too. They think it's a blocked tear duct. His eye gets really goopy after napping and is watery, but isn't red at all. They gave us an antibiotic ointment to use in case it changes and seems worse and a follow up appt on Monday if needed. I don't think we'll need it though.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I was told blocked duct too and if it didn't go away after massages then to use regular polysporin drops. i gave in and did it once and cleared it right up! it's pretty rare for her to get teh green goop anymore! i did just hear of the breast milk version too which i may try next time....but really, milk in the eye? if it work it works eh! hehehe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"