1st Trimester

How to Help DH Understand

First of all, my DH is really sweet. He's a great guy who's been very supportive of this pregnancy despite my wacky hormones.

That said, we had a conversation tonight about my aversions to food. Unfortunately, I really can't eat regular bread (which cuts out any type of sandwiches) and many of our regular meals make me nauseous as well. He believes that I'm nauseated easily, but he says that he has a hard time believing that I really can't eat those things since I'm eating so much junk food (although, in my defense, I'm eating a lot of fruit and practically chugging skim milk).

It's true- I'm eating a lot of junk food like macaroni and cheese and frozen pizza, but that's because I feel like my choices are so limited right now. Heck, a couple weeks ago, I just caught a whiff of a sandwich that DH was making and it sent me heaving to the toilet. 

I know it's hard to understand if you've never been through it before, but I would love some suggestions on how I can explain food aversions to him differently. I think maybe I'm just so tired and run down right now from this pregnancy and my daily toddler-chasing that I'm not explaining it in a way that makes sense to him. Suggestions? 

Re: How to Help DH Understand

• i tell dh this.  it's like being hungover in a canoe in the middle of the ocean during a storm...and having someone wave a shot of tequila in front of your nose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My approach would be, "You know sweetheart I dont understand it either, I wish I could...and millions of other women too. But until then, if certain foods make me gag then Im going to scarf down anything that does sound appealing cause god only knows when I am going to be able to stomach anything again...pass me the mac and cheese please!!"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • hahahahahahahahah PERFECT was to describe it!!
  • hahahahahahahahah PERFECT way to describe it!!
  • imageTheFannins729:
    i tell dh this.  it's like being hungover in a canoe in the middle of the ocean during a storm...and having someone wave a shot of tequila in front of your nose.

Hahahahaha. Perfect.

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • imageTheFannins729:
    i tell dh this.  it's like being hungover in a canoe in the middle of the ocean during a storm...and having someone wave a shot of tequila in front of your nose.

Hahahahaha. Perfect.

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • imageTheFannins729:

Hahahahaha. Perfect.

• Alyssa, Your Peanut Gallery pics are ridiculously adorable! I love seeing them pop up on my FB wall!

Also, we miss you on the toddler boards! Congrats on your pregnancy!

This is a test. This is only a test.
  • imageTheFannins729:
    Yes

Love this description!

• I bought my husband a book called "my boys can swim" and now when i have a symptom he just says, "the books said it would be like this..." and he just makes a joke of it. The book is short and humorous and he actually read it, so I think it helped him get it a little.

Not sure what kind of sandwiches your DH is making, but I read we shouldn't eat lunch meat when pregnant, so you can always pull up an article/book and show him that, too. 

Hang in there. My friends tell me, when I am further along, my husband will understand better, right now it is still like we haven't changed in their eyes, even though we have all these things going on in our bodies, they just can't see it.

• I had the same issue with my dh.  I couldn't eat certain veggies and I still can't stand the smell of anything nutty.  DH tried to get me to eat them but I just couldn't stomach it.  He finally stopped when the prenatal nurse told him to quit and chill the eff out.  That's what helped me. lol
  • I had a similar situation with my DH... Only my aversion was to spaghetti & anything with red sauce-meatloaf, lasagna, etc... Even the thought of the food was enough to make me heave. He thought I was faking it and finally I asked him why I would want to fake having an aversion to foods that I'd normally like. He dropped it after that, but I'm sure he still doesn't understand and probably never will. The 'hangover' suggestion was definitely the best way to describe the nausea. 
  • I just purchased this book on Amazon for my husband too.  He made a comment to me about when I complained about being tired that the baby was ONLY THREE INCHES LONG... so instead of killing him, my friend suggested the book!  Big Smile
  • I honestly don't even understand why you owe him and explanation.
  • By nature, men don't understand us women, MUCH LESS during pregnancy. So it doesn't hurt to just be a little patient with him and explain to him what's going on, even if you don't understand much yourself... he's as important to this pregnancy life as you are.

I've always loved chinese food, especially Special Fried Rice, now i absolutely hate it. My husband knows it, but he's confused by it because he finds it odd that you can love something one day, and hate it the next. All he says is "I'm going to buy some chinese food, is there something else I can get for you?" and problem solved :)

Communication :)

• I had a similar problem.  My hubby and I eat pretty healthy and he is really pushing the organic foods right now.  I tried to tell him on a number of occasions that I cannot even be near certain foods right now and he did not get it.  At one point I was so nauseated that I hoped I would puke right in front of him just so he could see that I was not being dramatic.  He is a very sweet guy but I think men just don't get it.  Finally it sunk in when I was telling my OB nurse how difficult it was to eat certain foods that are considered healthier...well, I think she picked up on what I was trying to say and she looked at my husband and I and very seriously said that I need to eat whatever I am able to....whether it be mac n cheese, watermelon, vanilla pudding. (which was my diet for about three weeks) She also told us that for the next six weeks its ok to not have a hot dinner on the table...cereal for dinner is just fine.   I was thankful when she said that because A) my hubby took her very seriously...and B) I was OFF THE HOOK for helping to make dinner.  This was a huge RELIEF because cooking meat is/was the nastiest smell!!!  Fortunately, I am in my 14th week and I am starting to feel better. I still cannot eat bread or tomato-based items yet as the indigestion is now taking over where the nausea is leaving off.  ughh...

BTW, the person who posted right above me has the exact same due date.  8/11/11  - yay!!! 

• imagejaimekaye:

BTW, the person who posted right above me has the exact same due date.  8/11/11  - yay!!! 

I found on I was already 7 weeks preg. this past x-mas eve, how about you? Stick out tongue

• I actually knew right away!  I could tell something was up the day after Thanksgiving because everything I ate caused me to feel very full and I was really, really tired that entire Thanksgiving weekend!!  I thought I was either getting the flu or that I was pregnant.  By Christmas I was very sick and actually cancelled all of my holiday plans :-(  But I am feeling better now.   I actually waited until 12 weeks to tell most everyone (I told family on New Years Eve at midnight) but my tummy actually POPPED out this weekend and now I can't hide it if I wanted to.   Are you showing yet?  Sounds silly but I was super excited when I saw your due date. 
  • I started popping at 10 weeks, now it's pretty obvious, haha. Thanksgiving night, I actually ended the night throwing up my dinner, but for some reason I didn't catch on, haha. Unfortunately, this past weekend I ended up catching a cold, so as I'm typing right now I keep sneezing over and over. I honestly don't know what to take! My doctor prescribed me some antibiotics, but that doesn't seem to help. Any advice for the runny nose and sneezes?

• I had that sneezing cold- I thought I'd sneeze my lil nugget right outta it's habitat! Hang in there- I went through boxes of tissues, but after a few days it subsided...after it went through a few more phases- luckily all stayed in my head/nose region and didn't spread into a chest cold or something worse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^ I totally agree.

All i do is sneeze, blow my nose, sneeze, blow my nose. However, sometimes i feel my body aching, as if I have a fever so i just take a regular strength tylenol. I guess i'll have to just deal with it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"