Stay at Home Moms

Balancing act...

I am a stay at home mom and I love it but I can't seem to figure out how to balance everything. Today I really needed to get a few loads of laundry done but my LO kept asking me to play (which I usually do) hence the mountain of laundry! So, I got some paint out for him, hoping to get more housework done but that resulted in a "mom, come look at this picture" every 5 min!Stick out tongue

Finally he looked at me with those big blue eyes and said "I'm daddy's best friend right now, but if you will play with me, all of that can change"

I think that is a deal I just can't pass up Big Smile

So...the mountain of laundry shall stay & grow for now. *shrugs*

Re: Balancing act...

• I just do not stop to play with DD every time she asks. I set aside some time, but she knows I don't run a circus around her.
    Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • DS is still at the age where he takes a great nap, and I can get 'some' cleaning done while he plays independently. 

At DS age, if he wants to play with me or me to play with him - I'm there. That's one of the big reasons I made the decision to SAH. 

Perhaps at an older age, if there seems to be some intentional interruption or obviously every time my attention shifts he needs me - then we will exercise ... mommy is going to spend 15 minutes folding laundry (etc) and then we will play. Or whatever. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagehollyberry3333:

I am a stay at home mom and I love it but I can't seem to figure out how to balance everything. Today I really needed to get a few loads of laundry done but my LO kept asking me to play (which I usually do) hence the mountain of laundry! So, I got some paint out for him, hoping to get more housework done but that resulted in a "mom, come look at this picture" every 5 min!Stick out tongue

Finally he looked at me with those big blue eyes and said "I'm daddy's best friend right now, but if you will play with me, all of that can change"

I think that is a deal I just can't pass up Big Smile

So...the mountain of laundry shall stay & grow for now. *shrugs*

He did NOT say that, LOL.  How funny.

Agree with the PP though, I do not always play with him when he asks.  I do laundry every day and never have more than one or two loads piled up.  

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • imageRebekah1021:
    I just do not stop to play with DD every time she asks. I set aside some time, but she knows I don't run a circus around her.

I agree, my kids know there is time I need to get stuff done, but I still will have time to play with them. Oh and the best friend with Daddy is bottom line manipulation, DD will say stuff like that and I tell her I don't bargin with her. You are letting them hold you hostage.  

• That's so cute!  He really knows how to chose his words! :)

I give DD a heads up when something needs getting done, and tell her when I'll be ready to play again.  If she interrupts me while I'm working, I tell her nicely that I'll be happy to (fill in the blank) when I'm done, reminding her I said it would be in X minutes.  A lot of times this pisses her off, but if I keep on working she gets the idea.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not sure how old your LO is but I have 3 all 5 and under so I know how hard it can be to get laundry done. My kids I think were born doing chores so we all do laundry together. My daughter who is 5 fold really well now but hasn't always so you will have to be ok with it not being perfect for a while, I let them fold the stuff that doesn't matter like the rags and socks and then my kids each put there stuff from there pile of laundry into there drawers and get a treat when its all put away. Also my boys love taking the laundry from the washer to the dryer and from the dryer to the basket and dragging the baskets wherever I need them. As long as you make it fun they will never know that we don't think its fun! GOOD LUCK!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"