2nd Trimester
Options

Pinched nerve - any recs for relief?

This morning I think I pinched a nerve in the upper center of my back while sneezing - yeah, kind of embarassing.....but I have been in a lot of pain all day, so much that it's bringing me to tears. I tried ice, I tried heat, I'm trying to stretch. As far as I know, there aren't any safe anti-inflammatory meds to take while pregnant, right? Googling just makes me more upset hearing about weeks, even months until the pain goes away. If anyone has any recommendations for relief, please let me know. TIA!
BFP 7/31/10 m/c 8/16/10
BFP 10/25/10 Brynn Helen born 7/7/11
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Pinched nerve - any recs for relief?

• Options

Chiming in from 1st tri... 

Find a good chiropractor, and a good massage therapist. 

Seriously... they saved my life during pregnancy #1. 

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Options

I've been seeing a chiropractor for my sciatica and WOW, it is wonderful.  I'd say try to find a good one ASAP. If you can, find one who is webster certified.

My OB has said I can take up to 800 mg of ibuprofen, read the diretions for how many hours apart.  i did that once when I sprained my ankle after a fall.  You can also take Tylenol.

fwiw, my chiro's directions for ice is 15-20 minutes on, 45 minutes off, repeat as necessary.  Any longer than 20 inutes of ice your body thinks it's freezing and starts sending extra blood flow to heat the area up, thus doing more damage to the nerves.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ICE!  My Dr. told me NO HEAT while pregnant.  Don't know why.  I had a pinched siatic *spellin?* not too long ago and they told me to use ice 15 minutes at a time until it felt better.  It did work.  I sure did wish I could have taken a little Aleve though.  
  • Options

imagemissjessy24:
    ICE!  My Dr. told me NO HEAT while pregnant.  Don't know why.  I had a pinched siatic *spellin?* not too long ago and they told me to use ice 15 minutes at a time until it felt better.  It did work.  I sure did wish I could have taken a little Aleve though.  

As far as I have read and been told, the no heat applies to your core temperature and your stomach. The point is that high temperature (fever or artificially raised) can cause a lower birth rate or even birth defects early in pregnancy (which is why fevers in 1st tri are dangerous). Everything that I've heard says that heat on body parts other than your stomach are fine.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"