February 2011 Moms

Should I beg for an induction?

I know you girls have been seeing me piss and moan for almost 3 weeks now about my constant contractions, slow dilation, lack of sleep and exhaustion, etc... My due date is this Thursday, and I know most midwives/OB's wont induce until you're at least 41wks, but I'm considering asking (crying and begging, really) my midwife to induce me on my due date.

Tongue Tied  I normally would say that a baby will come when a baby will come, but I'm exhausted from all this. My torso and vag are constantly sore from the contractions, and I am just ready to END this all.

What are your honest opinions, ladies? Suck it up and stick with it (she's got to come out at some point, right?) or beg for an induction?

CafeMom Tickers
imageimage

Re: Should I beg for an induction?

• I think if you are absolutely miserable then yes, ask to be induced. GL. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Having no idea what you're going through...from my side I would say wait until she's ready. But I would have a hard time not begging for it sooner with everything you're going through.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are miserable and your OB thinks it's safe, then it should be ok to get induced.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Beg.  My docs have a policy on 41 weeks for a first pregnancy - they are inducing me at 39 with this one.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Goblin Gallup 5k 10/30/11 - 36:46
    Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11 - 35:14
    Festival of Lights 5k 12/31/11 - 33:13
    Love the Run You're With 5k 2/13/12 - 31:58
    Backyard Burn 5 miler 3/11/12 - 1:08:42
    Cherry Blossom 10 Miler 4/1/12 - 1:58:22
    Wine Country HF 6/2/12 - TBD
    Spartan Race 8/25/12 - TBD
  • Tiffany-  I honestly think that you are SUCH a strong momma that whatever choice you make is going to be the right one for you.  If you feel like you are at that point and you need help, then don't hesitate to ask for it.  If you feel like it sucks but you can do it for a little longer than try to do it for a little longer.  Either way, you are making the choice that is the best for you and LO because while I want my LO to come out when he wants to, it is also likely not very good for baby to feel you in pain and stressed out for so long as well.  Anyway, what I mean is, that you are a really tough girl and I personally hope you go soon and get the relief you wish for and get to spend time with your new baby and not in such discomfort.
  • I would ask about induction. From the way your body has been going it just seems like it needs a little help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am due the day after you and tried begging/crying at m y last appt and it didn't work.  Maybe you will have better luck!
  • I would beg, beg shamelessly, bring cookies, maybe it will help.
  • Considering I have seen most all of your posts the past few weeks (bulging bag of water, cervix like putty... oh yes, I'm jealous), PLEASE ask to be induced... you need it and deserve it if you haven't had the baby by your due date.  You've had to endure a lot lately and pissing/moaning aside, you've handled it better than I would.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Coming from someone who ended up with a c/s from a failed induction, I'd say wait it out, but I'm jaded by my experience...
  • It can't hurt to ask, especially at this point in your pregnancy. It isn't unreasonable for you to ask about it being done on her EDD - at least you aren't 35 weeks and begging for it. And you're miserable - we can all see that from your posts. If she won't do it, then fine, but if you don't ask you'll never know.

Good luck.

Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm right there with you I have been 1cm for 3 1/2 weeks and contractions that aren't making any progress. I say BEG for an induction.
  • Are you seeing the MWs in Point Loma? They wouldnt even talk to me about it when I was pg with DD1. I hope you can get them to talk to you about it. They were completely against it before 42 weeks.
  • Totally think you should ask for an induction. I'm going to BEG my ob tomorrow for one. Keep me posted...been thinking about you a lot the last few days!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I say beg if you are really that uncomfortable. You are far enough that an induction shouldn't be an issue. I can only imagine how you feel, especially with trying to take care of 2 other little ones at home. Go get it over with!
  • Beg! I'm only 38 weeks and I am contemplating it myself! I can't imagine being where you've been for 3 weeks. I've only been struggling for one and I am FRIED. Good luck lady! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I say beg for the induction.  I know you wanted to go med free, but it probably won't go that way if  your so exhausted.  I know what having weeks of contractions and labor pain can do (I broke down crying at OBs with DS2 from lack of sleep which is what prompted his induction).  It's not a contest and you need to be there for your other two children too.  I would explain to MW/OB that you know she will come, but clearly your body is needing help and so is your sanity.  (You might be more susceptible to post partum if you have the prolonged stress of a drawn out labor) --Just a thought since that puts an enormous strain that you don't just bounce back from once LO is here.

GL.  Your in my thoughts!

imageimageimage
  • imageNavymama:
    Are you seeing the MWs in Point Loma? They wouldnt even talk to me about it when I was pg with DD1. I hope you can get them to talk to you about it. They were completely against it before 42 weeks.

Yeah, but this is also my 3rd baby and my MW is really great. She even stripped my membrane last week out of pity. I think if I talk to her seriously about it, she might consider it. Especially since my due date is this coming Thurs, and she knows I've been dealing with this for a while... I really feel like she's on my side. My contractions have been getting rougher in the past few days since the membrane stripping, but I don't think any real progress is being made. I don't know how much longer I can handle this.

The worst: I ran out of tylenol last night. :( Therefore, I don't have any tonight. I'd send DH out to Walmart to get some, but he's already in pj's and he won't run out for me anyway. I'll just have to wait til tomorrow. How will I sleep tonight...

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • imageTiffanyTheMom:

imageNavymama:
    Are you seeing the MWs in Point Loma? They wouldnt even talk to me about it when I was pg with DD1. I hope you can get them to talk to you about it. They were completely against it before 42 weeks.

Yeah, but this is also my 3rd baby and my MW is really great. She even stripped my membrane last week out of pity. I think if I talk to her seriously about it, she might consider it. Especially since my due date is this coming Thurs, and she knows I've been dealing with this for a while... I really feel like she's on my side. My contractions have been getting rougher in the past few days since the membrane stripping, but I don't think any real progress is being made. I don't know how much longer I can handle this.

The worst: I ran out of tylenol last night. :( Therefore, I don't have any tonight. I'd send DH out to Walmart to get some, but he's already in pj's and he won't run out for me anyway. I'll just have to wait til tomorrow. How will I sleep tonight...

I've been having some contractions all day and I just took my tylenol PM. I am SO sorry you don't have any. If I lived within driving distance I would so bring some to you...I know how important my tylenol is!!! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• If I were you, I would. You are waiting until your due date... its not like you want to induce 3 weeks early or something... hope she will agree with you.
  • My sister just went through similar in Dec, she decided to wait it out. SHe felt and I agree there's a reason why the baby isn't coming.  She ended up being induced 2 days before her due date because she started showing signs of pre e.
  • It sounds to me like LO wants to come out & could use some help, I say go for it. 

On a side note I came up with a philosphy years back that when someone asks you a question they're usually asking for validation of what they're thinking.  For example if someone says does this dress make me look fat, they don't want you to say no (as one would normally think).  They know it makes them look fat & they want you to have the guts to say yes, otherwise they never would have asked in the first place (unless they're just fishing for compliments but that's a whole other thing).  If you said no they might hem & haw, but if you say yes they'll immediately admit that's what they were thinking.  It applies to anything.  In your case I think you might need our support that you're doing the right thing.  I think you are & so does the majority.  I know you said a baby will come out eventually but think about the mortality rate before modern medicine was 50% for moms.  I think you & you're baby are having a rough time & you should take advantage of what modern medicine has to offer. 

• Mine was just set for Thursday. Thing is, I'm so far progressed that they're going to admit me and break my water, and are thinking that will do the trick. Not the whole cervadil, then pitocin (unless needed later), etc.

You're in the same boat as me, so I think it makes sense. It's not like your body has not progressed at all.

When my OB told me she thought I should be induced (this baby is likely really, really big), I told her I would normally say no, to just wait and see, if I wasn't having progress. She said having as much progress as I have is a great sign, and the fact that I've had a child before with no trouble and no problems progressing is also good. She's more concerned about going further with his growth rate, my rising BP, and my pre-e last time.

Talk about it with them, but I certainly don't see any harm in asking.

imageimage
  • I would definitely ask!  You are full term and at your due date, plus it seems your body is trying to tell you something.  Maybe all you need is that little push.  GL!
  • I stalled out with my first baby at 5cm, was stuck there for 8hours before they finally put me on pitocin. My second was never given a chance to naturally progress past 8cm because they hooked me up to pitocin again. I'm really wondering if those two experiences have 'taught' my body to not even worry about it because pitocin will always be there to do my body's job for it. :(

I tried calling in for an appointment this week, and all they had was 2pm today... We're a one vehicle family and DH has the car today and all tomorrow. I'm going to try to have a walk in for Weds., but they can't fit me in til the 9th next week. I already have an appointment for the 7th, so that's retarded. I HATE having being a one-car family! Dear heavens above, why did I agree to let DH have a play car instead of making him have a REAL car? If he had a car he wouldn't have to take mine. (Now my aggro about him having a stupid plaything for a car is coming out. Ahhhh the animosity always seems to boil down to that car!)

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"