March 2011 Moms

Immediate Skin to Skin???

in our newborn care class the nurse was very pro breastfeeding and recommended we do skin to skin contact and try to breastfeed right away.  breastfeeding or not, has anyone put any thought to the immediate skin to skin aspect? i know its mentioned sometimes in birth plans but i haven't done enough research (yet) and just wanted you ladies opinions.
Bre Wrties

Re: Immediate Skin to Skin???

• Assuming all goes well and according to plan, we're hoping to do an immediate skin to skin.  I work in dentistry so blood/etc. doesn't phase me one bit though I do understand why some people would rather wait until the baby has been cleaned off first.
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I want skin to skin contact pretty soon after birth. It is supposed to be soothing for baby and it can cause your ute to contract thus facilitating quicker healing. It also helps to facilitate bonding, so I'm having DH hold LO with his shirt off too. We plan on having naked time at least once a day for a while.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I think my hospital's policy is to have you breastfeed within an hour of birth.  I read in a breastfeeding book that this is important - the 1 hour rule.  I think they lay the baby on your chest as soon as it is born. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hope to do skin to skin if everything goes well. It takes them so long to get the LOs cleaned up anyways and I would like this bonding.
  • We talked about this in our breastfeeding class and the nurse said it was important, either way (bf or not) I would want immediate skin to skin contact. I just think it would be so comforting to me and the baby, feeling my heartbeat (something she's used to maybe?) and warmth from my body and of course being able to finally hold/feel her.
    BFP 7/17/12 DD#1 3/10/10 BFP 3/26/12 Natural MC 4/11/12 #2 Due 3/30/12
  • Yep, assuming LO is okay, our hospital does skin-to-skin immediately and does all the newborn exams on your chest. Studies have shown that it's better for the baby than using the warming table thingy, so skin-to-skin is now the default at my hospital.
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• We're hoping to do skin to skin right away also!!  If something happens where we need a c/s then DH will be the first to take baby skin to skin right away ... but no matter what, baby will definitely have skin to skin immediately after birth!

• We plan for LO to be skin to skin with me for at least the first hour, then try to breastfeed and then have DH take over and do skin to skin for the second hour.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're planning on doing skin to skin and nursing right away.. that is if everything goes according to plan :-) Once LO has eaten and settled down DH will probably get some skin to skin time too so they can bond right away.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ideally I'd like to.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're planning on it. Basically it will come out and right up on to my stomach/chest and stay there for an hour or two. All of the procedures can be done on the chest (baby doesn't have to be weighed or bathed/cleaned/swaddled right away) and once we've BF'd and had some bonding time, DH will probably do skin to skin while I clean up.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Our hospital highly recommends it and I believe in it too.  Even if you don't plan to BF (which we do)...just having the skin to skin contact with both DH and I is supposed to have many positive aspects.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageRayRay007:
    We're planning on it. Basically it will come out and right up on to my stomach/chest and stay there for an hour or two. All of the procedures can be done on the chest (baby doesn't have to be weighed or bathed/cleaned/swaddled right away) and once we've BF'd and had some bonding time, DH will probably do skin to skin while I clean up.

This is my plan as well.  I am really really hoping to EBF and apparently having them skin to skin can help them start searching for the nipple on their own, usually between 45 minutes - 2 hrs after birth.  Hopefully it all works out!! Smile

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had our BFing class last night, and the hospital really promotes it. I am very pleased, since I think it is important, and it is nice to have it as policy, instead of having to fight them to do it...

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • I talked to my dr about this yesterday.  During our childbirth class they mentioned being able to have skin to skin time for about 45 minutes which would be great.  I asked about them doing the apgar scoring with the baby on my chest and she said they could probably do the 1 minute after birth apgar but may need to take her for the 5 minute after birth one.  Of couse if there is an issue like a tight cord around her neck or meconium they would likely need to monitor her more closely and I wouldn't be able to do skin to skin right away.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I plan on doing this- they towel off the baby so it's not super gross, they just don't "take" the baby away to clean...I almost feel a little guilty that DH won't get to hold him right away -but I guess I shouldn't!
  • imagejayellekay:
    Yep, assuming LO is okay, our hospital does skin-to-skin immediately and does all the newborn exams on your chest. Studies have shown that it's better for the baby than using the warming table thingy, so skin-to-skin is now the default at my hospital.

This is what tey do at our hospital also. They do clean up the baby a little before putting the baby under your gown.

• I think it's disguising and gross honestly. It will depend at the time what I decide, just going to go with the flow on this one.
    Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
  • During our breastfeeding class our LC said to try and breastfeed before the baby is given a bath.  She said once they are given a bath, it is harder to breastfeed because of the mood the baby is in.
  • I think I going to do skin to skin. I took a tour of the hospital and our nurses recommended that because it creates a bond right away and also the breastfeeding right away because baby is awake and alert but might get sleepy later and not want to eat. We'll see, I try not to "plan" too many things and just see how things go naturally. 
  • When my daughter was born, I got to reach down and pull her the rest of the way out and pull her up to my chest myself!   They cut her cord while I was holding her and I attempted breastfeeding right away.  It was amazing and I hope this birth goes the same way.
  • If I'm feeling ok (may be too grogging from a c-section) then I will do it once they clean him up.  When DS was born, he was in the NICU and they highly encourage parents to do skin-to-skin.  Studies have shown that it helps with bonding and the overall health of the preemies.  It was my favorite time with DS, especially since BFing wasn't really working for us and I couldn't hold him whenever I wanted.
  • Absolutely hoping to! If I VBAC, I want the baby immediately before clean up/stats are taken to BF and hold; if I have another c/s, then I want the baby asap for BFing. I didn't get to hold DD until 48 hrs after delivery last time and then we kangarooed every chance we got, but I really hope this baby comes at term and I get to hold her right away : )
  • imageerikaautumn:
    When my daughter was born, I got to reach down and pull her the rest of the way out and pull her up to my chest myself!   They cut her cord while I was holding her and I attempted breastfeeding right away.  It was amazing and I hope this birth goes the same way.

wow to this :)  I'm not sure about pulling him out myself and the cord cutting but I am snuggling him right away and trying to breast feed right away also :)  we can all take a bath later! :) 

• As part of our hospital's baby friendly certification, immediate skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding within the hour are strongly encouraged.

https://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/eng/06.html

• I had assumed that we would do this with DD, but she was in distress during birth, so the drs and nurses needed to attend to her before I could even see her.  I don't know exactly how long it was before I got to hold her - probably 15 minutes.  It seemed strange to me to not be able to touch her right away, but I was relieved/happy that she was receiving the care that she needed at the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDucatiLeah:

As part of our hospital's baby friendly certification, immediate skin-to-skin contact and breastfeeding within the hour are strongly encouraged.

https://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/eng/06.html

thanks for the website! i have a doctors appt tuesday so i'll definitely bring it up.

Bre Wrties
  • I'm planning on immeadiate skin to skin for the comfort of the baby. It helps regulate their body temp, they are used to the sound of your voice and heartbeat and it helps with bf'ing which I want to do within the first hour. Kind of an attempt to make the transition into the cold, loud, bright new world as comfortable as possible!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"