July 2011 Moms

Doggy jealousy

So i have a huge rottweiler by the name of Lucy :) technically thats my baby before this one arrives. My mom keeps telling me i should give her away because she may get jealous and she is so big. I dont think she will, i may think she may be curious but i dont think she will attack. She puts her ear by my stomach  and sniffs at my belly. Did anyone actually had a jealous dog?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Doggy jealousy

• At one point in time, there was a post on The Nest Pet's board about training your animals before the baby gets there.  I'm not sure if I can find it, but I could look.

We have a lab/shepherd mix, and we're not going to get rid of her.  That being said, we're definately going to work with her before the baby comes so its not a huge change for her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have a jealous dog, but I am afraid of the same thing.  My dog is my baby and has helped me through a lot of tough times before I found my DH! :) I am not worried about anger jealousy, but sad jealous.  I am hoping with enough walks, attention and exercise we don't run into this problem! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • My dog was jelous of the attention, but not at all aggressive, she protects our LO like crazy and is so great with her. DD can pull the poor dogs ears and the dog just sits there and takes it.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here's a link to something about it, but its not the one I was thinking of.  But, it has some additional resources on here that might be helpful.
  • thanks :) i am an absolute dog lover so i would be devasted if anything happened to either my darling baby or Lucy
  • I have two chihuahuas that are super possessive of me, and while I'm nervous for when I first bring the baby home, I think over time they will get used to the new little one. We've babysat before and the dogs seem afraid of little babies and don't know what to make of them, but I'm counting on our dogs getting used to the baby very quickly! Although I will be very cautious at first!

Pregnancy Ticker

After 3 failed Clomid+TI cycles, DD was conceived with IUI#1

TTC #2

Clomid 50 mg + IUI#1  = BFP, m/c and D&C at 7w1d

Clomid 50mg + IUI#2 = BFN

Clomid 100mg + IUI#3 = BFN

Lupron + Follistim + IVF#1 = 11ER, 10M, 10F, ET of 1 expanded BBA 5-day blast, 2 Frosties. BFP! Beta 10/13 = 264! Beta 10/15 = 702! EDD 6/21/14

• My dog is a jealous dog, but hes never aggressive.  I think hell just be really annoying for a few weeks - whiny and needy.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • My dog is a jealous dog, but hes never agressive.  I think hell just be really annoying for a few weeks - whiny and needy.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • Our Lexi is a little nutty and will "nip" at strangers if they come in and try to greet her. We have a great trainer so she has gotten better but is still a work in progress. After 5 minutes she is ur best friend so I know it is a territory/fear thing. Just try to give your dog a little less attention before the baby comes so she won't be shocked by the changes ect.
  • I bet if you do a Google search on this topic there will be many tips and tricks to help the dog get ready for the new baby. I will be looking into this myself in a few months as I have 2 cocker spaniels and I want them to co-exist happily with the LO. FWIW, I have several friends with dogs AND babies (one has a pitbull mix) and they have all managed to make it work.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We also have a rottie, however he is only 5 months old.  The last time we were at the vet I asked her about how to handle everything when the baby comes.  She suggested some of the same things that others have posted:

1. Bring home a blanket from the hospital that smells like the baby before the baby actually comes home.

2. Have the pup & baby meet outside of the home (in the yard, drive, etc) so the dog can smell & see the baby before he/she is brought into their home/territory. 

Some of her other suggestions were:

1. Allow the dog to go into the babies room, do not ban the dog from the room as this might make him/her jealous.

2. Allow the dog to join you in the middle of the night for feedings and such. 

She said the easiest thing is to just let the dog be part of the babies daily routine and they will adjust fine. 

• imagetweller:

We also have a rottie, however he is only 5 months old.  The last time we were at the vet I asked her about how to handle everything when the baby comes.  She suggested some of the same things that others have posted:

1. Bring home a blanket from the hospital that smells like the baby before the baby actually comes home.

2. Have the pup & baby meet outside of the home (in the yard, drive, etc) so the dog can smell & see the baby before he/she is brought into their home/territory. 

Some of her other suggestions were:

1. Allow the dog to go into the babies room, do not ban the dog from the room as this might make him/her jealous.

2. Allow the dog to join you in the middle of the night for feedings and such. 

She said the easiest thing is to just let the dog be part of the babies daily routine and they will adjust fine. 

thanks for the advice. I'm glad rotties are actually aware of there size. Lucy just turned one yesterday and she is enormous lol 

• I have 2 large dogs and I know they will adjust fine to having a LO. It may take a little bit of time but I am prepared for it and will be patient with them as their lives are changing as well as mine. Even if mine were jealous I would def work with them and if I couldnt make a difference I would hire a trainer.

After almost 3 years and 2 IUIs our lil guy is here! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s579.photobucket.com/albums/ss238/hall_kyrac/?action=view
  • We have an American Dingo and he has not eaten our baby. He is actually SOOO patient while DS is learning to "Pet nice". Once in awhile he'll give a little warning growl but it's never mean and usually only when DS lands on top of him. He's a saint.

But he did get real protective of me when I was pg and then after DS got here. That part we are working on (it's only with people in uniform so far lol).

• Make certain you bring a blanket home from the hospital that has the baby's scent on it.  That will help to acclimate your "1st baby" to it's little sister/brother.  We have a boxer that will be just under 2 yrs old by the time baby arrives. 

You can also talk to a dog trainer.  I agree with you... I'd never give up my little boy.  He licks my belly and has become more protective of me over the past few weeks.   

PitaPata Dog tickers Visit The Nest! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think most dogs adjust just fine.... Dogs can really adjust to anything. I'm worried about my doggies too, but more bc i  feel bad that they might feel "replaced." I dont think they will be aggressive.

What concerns me more is that LO will be allergic to the dogs. Has this happened to anyone before? I'm freaking out that the baby will be allergic and I will have to give my fur babies away! I cry almost every day thinking about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image. image. image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"