Babies: 6 - 9 Months

How do you make baby food??

I am currently using some Gerber food that my MIL bought for DD and saving the containers b/c I would like to make it myself.  I looked it up on the internet and found tons and tons of stuff, but I'm not so much for trial and error I want to find something that is easy and she'll eat. What works best for you???

Re: How do you make baby food??

• steam it then puree it. Then I freeze it in ice cube trays (makes 2 oz servings)
  • imageIrishBrideND:
    steam it then puree it. Then I freeze it in ice cube trays (makes 2 oz servings)

This. I usually reference wholesomebabyfood.com.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Like pp said, just steam and put in the food processor. If you want to start out easy, just do foods you know your LO already likes. I've been putting the purees in the glass baby food containers and freezing. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I either steam or bake her food, puree it in the food processor and freeze it in ice cube trays.  After the food is frozen, I store them in freezer ziploc bags.  It's really easy to do.  Wholesomebabyfood.com has a ton of recipes.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think I must do something wrong, b/c I've read it takes people an hour + to do it and it takes me around 15 minutes.

I get out a big pot, put some water in it, get out the steam basket, pour some frozen veggies in it, steam for about 6 or 7 minutes, then pour the veggies in this mini food processor thing I have and walla!  I don't puree it 100%, I like a little texture, but I make sure there aren't any chunks DD will choke on.  I then use a cookie scooper to put it in these:  https://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535632&parentCategoryId=85181&categoryId=85206

• I read somewhere that it might take a few tries of giving homemade baby food after giving store brought baby food for the baby to take it.  Just an FYI.  And it will look different from store brought.  I don't remember where I saw that article, but just an FYI!
  • We are currently using whatever vegetable we're having some night (so we don't have to cook something extra) and puree enough for 3 days (the max time I'll keep it in the fridge).  So far, all the veggies have been boiled, but baking them is probably better nutritionally speaking.  I haven't tried freezing yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My SIL started with the book Baby Love. It has a lot of recipes for different ages and includes tips on preparing and storage.
  • I haven't tried it yet but saw an infomercial the other night for baby bullet and it looks really good https://www.mybabybullet.com/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Unfortunately it is some trial and error to obtain a consistency that baby will like. Jarred food is much more watery, so it will take a bit to find the right measurements.  Start by just making a little bit - one sweet potato or a handful of green beans - and work your way up to making more at one time.  Once you have done it a few times, it is a really fun adventure to decide the next food and new combinations - we just did mango mixed with papaya and it was a hit!  We have been using the Beaba Babycook, which makes the process super easy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"