2nd Trimester

For those who have had a previous c/s--a question

I can't recall----how long before you were able to do any lifting??  Sometimes I still need to carry my little guy up to bed (he's about 32 pounds)......which I'm fine with now--but obviously after the c/s you can't lift for a bit--but I can't recall at all how long until you can......  anyone remember??

Also---if you've had TWO c-sections---- was your second one any easier in the recovery department??? 

Although I'd love to VBAC, I need to prepare myself for a repeat, just in case. 

Re: For those who have had a previous c/s--a question

• I think I was lifting light things 4 weeks post delivery. As for lifting 32lbs...I'd think that would take a little longer. Maybe closer to 6-8 weeks.

I'll be in the same situation, though. DD will probably be about 25lbs or so when this LO is born. I'm sure I won't be able to lift her for awhile! Plus, I plan on taking it easier this time. I think I pushed myself a bit after my last c/s, and it caused me to heal slower.

• friends with 2 c/s have told me recovery on 2nd one was quicker.  I guess it's more out of necessity than anything.  I think it was at least 3 weeks until i could lift heavier than my NB DS.
  • Loading the player...
  • They told me not to lift anything heavier than the baby until I was cleared at 3 weeks. But my cat weighs 16 pounds, and I had no trouble with that. Not to mention the fact that the baby in the car seat weighs a lot more than the baby by itself.

Several of my friends have said that their recovery from their 2 c/s was easier than their first. 

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • I can't remember on the lifting, but I will say that recovery from my 2nd c/s was MUCH easier than my first.   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wasn't allowed to pick up anything heavier than the baby until I was cleared at my 6 wk check-up.  But I had a classic incision (vertical to almost my belly button) and it has more pressure on it than the bikini cut, so I don't know if that had something to do with it.

Luckily my mom and MIL will be out of school when this baby comes so they'll be able to help me with my 30 lb DD when DH is at work.

• I will be having c/s #4 and they do get easier each time. I think its partly that you know what to expect and partly that you dont have the luxury of laying around the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... time. As far as lifting try and hold off until you are cleared at 6 weeks but just trust your body.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerickandcaitlin:
    I will be having c/s #4 and they do get easier each time. I think its partly that you know what to expect and partly that you dont have the luxury of laying around the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... time. As far as lifting try and hold off until you are cleared at 6 weeks but just trust your body.

OMG---4 c/s!!!!!!  Wow--that's amazing and also great to hear b/c I was scared about just getting #2.  Have you had any issues afterwards?  I always hear risks get higher but not really sure why.

• imagesmiling76:

imagerickandcaitlin:
    I will be having c/s #4 and they do get easier each time. I think its partly that you know what to expect and partly that you dont have the luxury of laying around the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... time. As far as lifting try and hold off until you are cleared at 6 weeks but just trust your body.

OMG---4 c/s!!!!!!  Wow--that's amazing and also great to hear b/c I was scared about just getting #2.  Have you had any issues afterwards?  I always hear risks get higher but not really sure why.

I will be having a 4th c-s as well.  I tried for a VBAC with #2 and failed.  I hope you can have a VBAC.  While I have done fine with my c-s, I do have a lot of scar tissue, which continues to accumulate with each c-s.  I have some issues from my 3rd which my OB will deal with when I have this c-s.  Main risk during the surgery is hitting your bladder, as it become progressively harder to cut through the tissue.  My OB has no problems with my having more children because my uterus is still in decent shape. 

I had no choice but to lift my toddlers once my DH went back to work, so about 2 weeks after the c-s.  I do not think they weighed 30 pounds though.  You can train yourself to use more of your arms, but I would avoid as much lifting as you can until the six weeks mark.   

• imageBarefootContess:
    imagesmiling76:

imagerickandcaitlin:

I will be having a 4th c-s as well.  I tried for a VBAC with #2 and failed.  I hope you can have a VBAC.  While I have done fine with my c-s, I do have a lot of scar tissue, which continues to accumulate with each c-s.  I have some issues from my 3rd which my OB will deal with when I have this c-s.  Main risk during the surgery is hitting your bladder, as it become progressively harder to cut through the tissue.  My OB has no problems with my having more children because my uterus is still in decent shape. 

I had no choice but to lift my toddlers once my DH went back to work, so about 2 weeks after the c-s.  I do not think they weighed 30 pounds though.  You can train yourself to use more of your arms, but I would avoid as much lifting as you can until the six weeks mark.   

Wow---- that's amazing too!!!!  That is what I'm afraid of---the doc mentioned the bladder thing.  How do they repair that then???  And how would you know there is an issue??? 

My docs aren't the most vbac friendly----so maybe that makes them better at c-section surgeries?? LOL--trying to look at the positive.

• imagesmiling76:
    imageBarefootContess:
    imagesmiling76:

imagerickandcaitlin:

Wow---- that's amazing too!!!!  That is what I'm afraid of---the doc mentioned the bladder thing.  How do they repair that then???  And how would you know there is an issue??? 

My docs aren't the most vbac friendly----so maybe that makes them better at c-section surgeries?? LOL--trying to look at the positive.

I would consider looking around for new OB who is VBAC friendly.  I switched OBs after my first delivery and found a very VBAC-friendly one by asking labor and delivery nurses.  With the right OB and hospital, VBAC are successful 75% of the time.  My baby was posterior again and did not descend despite being fully dilated.  When my OB said he thought we should do the c-s, I fully trusted this was the best thing, not just what was easiest at the time. 

I have heard the bladder repair is not that big of a deal.  They do the repair once the baby is out.  Still, I want to make sure my very experienced OB does my c-s to lessen the chances of complications. 

Good luck.  I hope your VBAC is a success.   

• Thanks for posting this thread.  I'm hoping for a VBAC but need to be ready for RCS.  I'll have a 22 month at home when my second comes along.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"