Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Ready to Quit Ferber

I can't remember if tonight is night 5 or 6 of Ferber. Nights 1 and 2 were super rough but 3 was great, since that we seem to be regressing. There are tears for a minute or two at bedtime which is ok but he's up again 3 or 4 hours later ever since and super hard to calm down, then again in another few hours. Right now for example, he slept from 830 until 1, it is now 1:36 and he is showing no signs of quieting down. I've changed him and given him tylenol in case it was his teeth and I'm sure he's not hungry! I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to throw in the towel and just start letting him sleep with us again. We don't get good sleep then either but at least he isn't crying!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ready to Quit Ferber

• Options

I can't tell by your ticker how old (the scroll bar is in the way) but perhaps DS isn't ready yet? DD is BF, and still wakes every 4-7 hours (usually once or twice in the night) and I nurse her and put her down. She is not really nursing, so I think it's more a comfort thing. We went through a nasty sleep regression, growth spurt, and seperation anxiety all at once. It's totally frustrating going through the process so hang in there. Follow your instincts, you know your son the best! :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    we haven't tried ferber, but dd is about the same age as your lo and her sleep has def gotten worse over the past couple weeks. i have heard that 8-9 months isn't the best time to start b/c they are going through so many milestones, separation anxiety, plus teething as well. maybe try again in a couple weeks? gl!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I tried Ferber when DD was 6.5 months old...it didn't work. I really don't think she was ready for sleep training, so I stopped. She slept in bed with us for a while and then I bought a PNP. Lately I have been putting her to sleep in our bed and transitioning her to the PNP (which is right next to our bed) before DH and I go to bed. This has been working for us. I figured I would try to sleep train again when she was 9 months, but someone just wrote that that was bad, so maybe I will try again at 10 months.

• Options
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Do whatever you feel works best for your baby!  Every baby is different.

If it helps, Ferber worked really REALLY well for us the first two nights, the third was a disaster.  It got better again.  Then my husband went on travel for work the second week...and Joshua decided to start waking up again.  Since my husband returned, things are getting better.  It's not 100% fantastic, probably because I still breastfeed him somewhere between 2am and 5am, but so much better since we tried Ferber.  Sometimes it's really hard, but for us, it was worth it.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you've already made it this far, I would keep at it for another week or so before deciding that it truly isn't working.  It seems like many people on here say it takes a couple weeks to truly "click", not 3 or 4 days like some books promise.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Options
    imageDreamsicle23:
    If you've already made it this far, I would keep at it for another week or so before deciding that it truly isn't working.  It seems like many people on here say it takes a couple weeks to truly "click", not 3 or 4 days like some books promise.
    I did stick with it last night and he went back to bed and slept until 8:30. I'm basically a huge whiney baby in the middle of the night, as you may have noticed. I am going to stick with it since we've come this far, but I should have known that perfect night was setting me up for disappointment!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"