January 2011 Moms

C-section gone bad but baby is perfect (very long)

I haven't had the heart to check in with the board until now... I am still pretty traumatized from my experience and I think it will take a long time until I feel okay but I wanted to share my story with you all.

I was told to come in the hospital on the night of December 27 by my doctor as my BP was high and he wanted to induce. I was 37 weeks 6 days at that point. Induction took a long two days but on the afternoon of December 30, my water finally broke on it's own and I progressed really quickly, reaching 10 cm within an hour. I pushed without much progress for a good 2 hours. We tried using the vacuum but that didn't work either. It was determined that baby was stuck and we would do a c-section. Thankfully during this time baby had not exhibited any signs of distress.

The surgical team was quickly assembled but the wait was awful! Before the surgery, they had to remove my epidural so I was feeling everything, including the pressure to push, but I couldn't. It was almost unbearable!

The first part of the c-section went well. I am fortunate enough to work with all of the doctors that were in the OR so it was really like I was with family. The anesthetist, who was by my head the whole time, was so nurturing and so it felt like my mom was there with me. My husband decided not to come into the OR at the last second as he was feeling too nervous/ill. They had to really pull to get baby out. It turns out that her head was VERY stuck under my pubic bone and she was face up. She also weighed a very healthy 9 lbs 7.5 oz! But completely healthy and perfect.

This is when the trouble started. I guess when they were struggling to get baby out, my uterus tore on both sides and I was bleeding - a lot. They told me they were going to give me some blood but at that point I had no idea of the seriousness. My memory gets kind of fuzzy at this point. Then I remember them telling me that I was going to get transferred to a hospital in a big city about 3 hours away (we live in a small rural community). All I could think was that I did not want to go on a 3 hour ambulance ride! Little did I know that the STARS air ambulance was already on its way. By the time STARS got there, I had received 14 units of blood. My DH and baby were brought in to the OR to say goodbye.

As they wheeled me out to the helicopter, they suddenly stopped. I could hear all the voices talking and apparently they could no longer read my pulse or blood pressure. They were trying to stabilize me. I remember asking at one point if I was dying... and not getting an answer. Eventually they got my pressure up a little bit and we continued. I had no idea at the time but my husband was following behind the stretcher and had to witness all of this. 

After the hour long flight (where I received another 6 units of blood, for a total of 20 now), I was wheeled directly into the OR at the big hospital. I vaguely remember the surgeon telling me that she may need to remove my uterus to stop the bleeding. I also remember singing and feeling extremely peaceful. Later on I learned that  yes, I was singing and at that point they again could not get a reading of my pulse or blood pressure so that was the only way they knew I was still alive.

I later learned I was in surgery for about 3.5 hours. They lost me on the table for 30 seconds and I had to be revived with CPR. In total I received over 50 units of blood and blood products. And they had to remove my uterus and both of my ovaries. The surgeon tried hard to save them but she told me that whenever she tried to suture or tie off my arteries, they would cut right in half - my arteries were like jello. After the surgeon took out my uterus to try and repair it, she found a  hole in the main artery behind my uterus, the reason I'd lost so much blood.

I woke up in ICU and spent 2.5 days there. My family all cried when they saw me. Apparently I was so swollen that I was pretty much unrecognizable. I was intubated for 1.5 days after my surgery and that was very difficult. I had to constantly focus on breathing. Everything hurt. It hurt to move, breath, cough, just everything. And worst of all, I didn't feel like a mom. 

Three days after surgery I developed extreme chest pain and was diagnosed with a very large pulmonary embolism in my left lung.  A week later, I developed another one on the right side.

I was just discharged from hospital this past Sunday after 20 days. It is great to be home with my baby and other two girls but the road to recovery will be very long. I have no energy and everything tires me out. Fortunately my mother-in-law is able to stay with us as long as we need her (and even better, my MIL is awesome and I love her!).

While what happened to me is extremely rare, it really is a good reminder of how serious of a surgery a c-section really is and how dangerous the complications really can be. All of my doctors have told me that I am very, very, very lucky to be alive. They called me a miracle. And I am just so incredibly thankful to still be here with my family....

Survived major c-section complications which led to massive blood transfusion, hysterectomy, BSO and pulmonary embolism. Very thankful to be alive to raise my kids! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C-section gone bad but baby is perfect (very long)

• I just a lurker from the March 2011 board but I have to reply anyway! Your post has me bawling. God bless you and your family. You ARE a miracle. Hope your recovery is quick and thank you for the reminder about how precious life is!!
    Molly - DS - 12.16.06 DD - 3.20.09 DD - 3.11.11
  • Congrats on your healthy baby girl, i'm so sad after reading your story, and so glad your ok, i'm hoping you have a good recovery and also that you feel back to normal very soon. You are truly a miracle!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • OMG... this story had me crying.  Thank God everything is OK, but what a horrific experience!  congrats on the new LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Wow!  Such a scary experience for you and your whole family!  So sorry you lost your uterus and ovaries.  I'm sure you're still traumatized by that.  But you survived and will be around to raise you children which is a miracle.  T&Ps for a speedy recovery and no more complications and I hope you can heal emotionally from this experience. 
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Oh my God I am so so sorry you had to go through this.  My heart is broken for you...I just can't imagine how scared you and your family must have been.  My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you recover, and congratulations on your baby.  <3
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • oh my goodness. I'm so sorry for the ordeal you went through, but so glad you are okay now. I am amazed at your strength, both physically and emotionally. you'll definitely be in my T&Ps for a speedy recovery. Congrats on your bundle of joy as well!
  • Oh my God, I am so so sorry you had to go through that, but I am so, so, so glad you and your baby are okay.  I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
  • First off, congratulations on your healthy baby girl!  What an incredibly scary experience for you and your family.  My T&P's are with you while you recover both physically and mentally.
  • Thanks ladies for the prayers... I really, really appreciate them. I know my body will heal with time but it is definitely the emotional part that will be hardest. Not just the losing of my ovaries and uterus (which does really upset me as we were planning on one more baby) but it is like I just don't trust my body anymore. I have always been healthy and never had anything serious wrong before and now this happened. I feel like my body betrayed me if that makes any sense. I know it is not completely logical. And I just feel scared a lot of the time... scared of more complications, scared after I get more lab work done that they will call and tell me something else is wrong. This is so not like me! But thankfully my family is incredibly supportive and I know it will get better with time.
    Survived major c-section complications which led to massive blood transfusion, hysterectomy, BSO and pulmonary embolism. Very thankful to be alive to raise my kids! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh my goodness. I'm so heartbroken for such a traumatic experience you had. I'm so happy it had a good ending.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • wow, I am so glad you and baby are OK, and you are right, I think we all just take c-sections for minor procedures but it is major surgery and things happen. Sending you T&P's while you recover.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • T&P that your recovery goes fast (mental and physical).

Congrats on the healthy baby girl.

• Wow. What an amazing story. Your family must have been so scared for you. A miracle indeed. So happy you are Ok and home with baby!!
  • Oh your post is heart-breaking!  I am so so so sorry you went through all of that.  I cannot imagine.  Sending you a gigantic cyber hug and so glad that you are HERE!!
  • I am so very sorry for everything you and your family had to go through! You're story has me crying and I am happy you and your little baby are here! I wish you and your loved ones the best and hope you will be able to recover soon. Big hugs!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Wow. Your story is incredible and you seem to be a very strong woman! I wish you a speedy recovery and enjoy your baby girl, Congrats.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Your experience brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that and are having to deal with the after-effects of such a traumatic delivery.

You and your family are very blessed. While you may not be able to have more biological kids, thank god you made it through and will be there to see this newest LO and your other two daughters grow.

Take care of yourself and don't rush your recovery physically or mentally. You've been through a lot and it is important that you take the time you need to recover and come to terms with your loss.

All the best to you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so glad your ok, and so glad I didn't read this before my repeat c/s last friday!   I think you bring up a great point of how laid back the idea of a c/s can be but it really is MAJOR surgery and shouldn't be treated lightly.  I'm glad your family is able to help you!!  Rest up and get better soon!
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • I'm lurking here from July 2011 but I read your story and it just breaks my heart. I am so sorry for your loss but I'm thankful your little girl is alive and healthy. I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience. I'll be praying for your recovery. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Another lurker from July 2011. Your story moved me to tears. I'm so glad you and baby are ok. Take good care of yourself during your recovery.
  • Praying for you! Another July '11 lurked here, just wanted to tell you that you are strong person to be able to tell your story here. I think God brought you through this for a reason, girl! Keep believing that! Take your time recovering! Thank goodness your MIL is there for you guys. Your story is a great reminder to all of us to not take life for granted.
  • wow- your story was shared on the December board- and I just had to let you know you and your family will be in my thoughts. I wish you a quick recovery. Truly a miracle!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My heart goes out to you and I will be praying for you as you continue to recover.
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• OMG, your story has me in tears.  How incredibly scary for all of you.  I'm so sorry you had to go through this, thank God you and your baby girl are ok.  I'll be praying the rest of your recovery goes smoothly!
    PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just lurking- one of my fellow July 2011 Mom's posted your story stressing the importance of donating blood! I'm so glad you made it through all this to hold another beautiful baby in your arms! I wish you and your family a speedy recovery! Thoughts and Prayers your way!
  • Holy moly! That is a very awful experience. I'm so sorry it was so bad for you! Glad your LO was healthy though. Hope you continue to recover and life can get back to normal for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"