September 2011 Moms

Anyone dealing with insomnia?

The first time I was pregnant, I remember the fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks. Now, I toss and turn and am lucky if I get 2-3 hours of sleep (before working a 12 hr shift!)

Anyone else dealing with this and have you found anything that helps? I use to work night shift for 5 years and that threw off my sleep schedule in general. I also use to take ambien before ttc which was a godsend. Now I read stuff about hypnosis, accupuncture, and relaxation tapes and wonder if they're worth the hassle or if I should just get a good series of books and enjoy the ride. tia

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone dealing with insomnia?

• I have horrible insomnia right now! My husband use to work nights and I just could not fall asleep without him there so that really started making it difficult for me to sleep. Luckily he's now moved to second shift but my sleep schedule is still out of whack. Part of it is because I worry a lot(my husband and me are both about to finish school and are working) and the new pregnancy just has me so nervous. I haven't been able to find any way to really relax either so if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it too!

• I have been dealing with the same thing, I would love to sleep more than 3-4 hours a night!! I've heard taking half a unisom is safe, not the whole thing, but I just heard that yesterday and haven't been able to try it yet. I try to eliminate everything that wakes me up. I use a sleeping mask, have a sound machine and the bathroom fan on, and try to clear my mind and focus on absolutely nothing. I don't know if it has helped, but it is super relaxing :) See if the unisom helps, that should knock you out for at least a couple hours!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes and it is the suck.

When I get home from work I'm so tired I could cry but when it's time to go to sleep I just cannot fall asleep.  Or if I do fall asleep it's never for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time.  It totally sucks.  Naps on the weekends are my new best friend.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • I had the worst insomnia from the moment I found out I was prego (right about 4 wks) til about 5 1/2 wks. Now I've napped and slept through the night EVERYNIGHT. I did hear that insomnia is common in the beggining, who knows if it's nerves and your mind running non-stop.. but I did also hear because of the surge in hormones and increased blood flow, it keeps your body from resting. Goodluck, you'll have to get some naps in when you can!
    Photobucket
  • Me! I have been getting soooo tired @3-4pm and if I can, I'll take an afternoon nap. When I do, however, I can't fall asleep that night until after midnight, and even then it's not a restfull sleep- I toss and turn all night, my skin itches and I can't get comfortable! On top of all that, I work nightshift as well, 2-3 nights/week. Yesterday I tried skipping the afternoon nap so that I could fall asleep earlier, and I guess it did help a little... I was just a zombie from 4 pm until I fell asleep @11. I am back in to work again tomorrow night for 3 nights in a row, so we'll see if that changes anything!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"