Toddlers: 24 Months+

Please help!! (Freeing his own arms from car seat)

S has started sliding his chest buckle down and freeing his arms from the straps in his car seat.  Of course, this is a huge safety issue.  I pull over and fix it obviously but it's getting old.  I've tried talking to him calmly, pleading with him, explaining how dangerous it is, yelling at him in panic and even smacking his hand while saying "don't touch."  Nothing is working.  Also, I tighten the straps as tight as I can but he still manages to maneuver that damn buckle!  If your toddler did this, how did you resolve?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please help!! (Freeing his own arms from car seat)

• Mine is doing this too.  Starting to consider one of the taller booster seats since he has soared past the height & weight requirements for those because i feel it would be safer than him riding around without arm straps.  I've tried everything, my kid is a little houdini that can escape from almost everything!
  • Can you put a shirt on him that zippers  or snaps up and then buckle him in underneath it? (you know, zip the shirt up over top of the straps).

What kind of carseat is it?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmmm.... I haven't googled this yet, but if there isnt a product to help solve this problem it sounds like a good invention!
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagelmdbww:

Can you put a shirt on him that zippers  or snaps up and then buckle him in underneath it? (you know, zip the shirt up over top of the straps).

What kind of carseat is it?

First Years True Fit.

Interesting idea, but he's good with zippers and snaps!

ETA:  Maybe something with buttons?  He hasn't mastered those quite yet...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Don't do something with buttons. If the car was on fire, you'd have a hard time getting him out, too. You can put velcro, scratchy side out, on the chest clip so it's uncomfortable for him to touch.

• I would not use the houdini stop. Ask on car-seat.org, and they'll tell you for sure, but I believe using that would void all insurance protection of the seat and child in seat if you were in a crash.
  • I went through this and it was just a passing fancy..I think it lasted 2-3 weeks and it has not happend for a very long time now

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"