3rd Trimester

Anyone else getting tubes tied?

Just wondering if anyone else was doing this, with my extensive pregnancy complication history and Peyton having something new wrong with her everyday.  I just can't imagine going through this again.  A little piece of me thinks that in 10 years or so I might want another (i'm 24) but we can always adopt, which is something I always wanted to do anyway.  I think Dh would die if we had 3 girls lol.  

I mentioned it to my OB at my last appt and he said we could talk about it more.  I'm just weary of recovering from a vaginal delivery (if it goes that way, I had 40+ stitches last time from a bad epi, and they ripped & I got an infection), and abdominal incisions.  

Would you let your vag heal and then do the tubal, or just do it all at the same time?

TIA.

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: Anyone else getting tubes tied?

• I'm not having my tubes tied but I did tell DH that this is our LAST and he has 1 of 2 choices for his vasectomy:

Voluntarily at the hospital or Involuntarily at home...it's his choice but I'm betting he'll take the first one.

• Do they go in vaginally? 

I read online they did like through the skin in a lapriscopic  (sp) procedure...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelilbit923:

I'm not having my tubes tied but I did tell DH that this is our LAST and he has 1 of 2 choices for his vasectomy:

Voluntarily at the hospital or Involuntarily at home...it's his choice but I'm betting he'll take the first one.

lol dh would gladly get a vasectomy if he could get ANY time off work.  He's working 70-80 hrs/week right now and getting off for the baby's birth is going to be difficult.  

Not many guys will volunteer for it, but he knows I have trouble with anesthesia and it's an 'easier' recovery for him. 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• imagearmywife7205:

Do they go in vaginally? 

I read online they did like through the skin in a lapriscopic  (sp) procedure...

the essure is vaginal, but I don't want that, it involves putting some type of foreign object in your tubes and you recheck in 3 months to see if it worked.  I'm allergic to so much stuff, I don't really want a foreign object.  

Regular tubal ligation is either laproscopic or open surgery, the incisions may be so small it wouldn't really bother me, or they could have to do open surgery.  I just know how bad my open surgery hurt from my appendix.  I couldn't sit up on my own for a week, no way I can take care of a toddler + newborn like that.=

• I'm having mine done, but not until about 6 weeks after delivery, unless by some chance I end up having a c-section in which case the they will go ahead and just do it then.  This was something DH and I discussed for a long while before the decision was actually made.  We discussed it when we were discussing trying for this baby. 
  • Most Dr's will take you into surgery imediately following delivery and it is usually done lapriscopically (through the naval area). Many like to do it then because your uterus is still so high that they can just hook the tubes without having to fish around. IndifferentTongue Tied I`m not getting it done, but I`ve had two friends have it done after their second children.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am going with essure at 8 to 10 weeks pp. It is done vaginally so no incisions and minimal recovery
    Proud mom to Cody Ryan 9/30/94, Michael Anthony 3/1/98, Tayla Lynn 9/24/01, Aiden William 11/17/04, Logan Aaron 2/8/07 and Kalen Joseph 3/31/11 image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm getting my tubes tied and clamped...and dh is getting a vac...i was willing on my own however we have heard too many stories of the proceedure failing so he wants to make sure there is no room for error... this will be our 3rd son and in about 8-10 yrs we are going to become foster parents and possibly adopt
  • This is our fourth baby in 4.5 years and I am getting a tubal the day after she is born.  My husband will get a Vasectomy in the next few months.  I have no desire to ever give birth to or raise another child after this one.  
  • I am having a tubal done while they have me open for my c-section...
  • I'm getting my tubes tied and DH will probably get a vasectomy as well in the near future.  We weren't planning on #2 and don't want to take any chances.
    Ethan George 11.4.06 Marcus Harvey 3.4.11
  • I'm probably going to get my tubes tied. I want to talk to my doc about the essure. The only way that we are having a third is if we come into a bery large sum of money and can buy a bigger house at which point we will be able to afford IVF so my tubes tied is no big deal if we decide to have a third.

• I am having a tubal done and they are doing it the day after vaginal delivery through my belly button / if for some reason I have to have a C section they will do it right then and there. 
  • I recently talked to my OB about it.  She said it is MAJOR surgery while a vasectomy is an office visit.  I know I don't want anymore kids, so the fact that it is not reversable didn't bother me.  However, being so young, I would hold off.  Adopting can pose many challenges as well and if you might want more kids you might want to keep all methods as an option.  My midwife said that the biggest complication with a tubal is regret.  She often sees younger women who regret having it done.  I would at least wait a while before making the decision.
  • Well, I'm 29 and this will be our 4th baby..and were DONE after this. For me it was easy to decide that this was it for us. My max was 4 kids and my max age to have kids was 30...I will be turning 30, 2 months b4 I have the baby.....so I'm happy and content with my decision.

Im going to get the  tubal ligation done right after the birth of our baby.

• I am 23 and am seriously considering the tubal ligation as well, I don't not respond well to BC at all. Due to complications and personal reasons I don't think I would be happy if I found out I was prego again. I have alwasy wanted two and now I have them. So I talked to my midwife and she said they can do it through your belly button pretty simple procedure the day after you deliver. I would rather heal from everything at once and get back to normal faster. Good Luck with your decision and LO. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"