February 2011 Moms

Preeclampsia Question

My doctor said I was showing signs of preeclampsia. high blood pressure.. protien in urine. My legs and feet are swollen but they've been like for the past 3 weeks. He ordered a 24 hour urine test and said on monday he would discuss the results with me.

is this pretty much a guarantee that I have it?

Re: Preeclampsia Question

• no not at all.

For a pre-e diagnosis you have to have 2 bp readings of 140/90 AND 300mg of protein in your urine in a 24 hr period.

I had tons of signs but on a friday had trace amounts of protein and sent home with no pre e, by that monday I had full blown pre-e. It can happen very fast so pay close attention to how you feel.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not necessarily.  I went through this same scenario on Friday.  Did the 24hr test and that came back normal.  so for now they're just "watching" me.  They do have me on modified bed rest, which isnt too bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • No - I just went in for my follow up for the same thing and my results came back negative.
  • Definitely watch yourself and let them know if you have any of the other symptoms (headache, visual impairment, dizziness, etc).  I went for my 35 week checkup last Tuesday and had elevated bp, protein inurine, and a lot of swelling, was admitted to L&D for observation and to do the 24 urine.  The lab didn't get the 24 urine on time because the nurse sent it down in the lift but they were expecting her to walk it down to them.  Needless to say, even without the results from the 24 hour urine, just elevated bp and swelling they went ahead and did a c-section last Thursday because they have seen it progress extremely quick so many times in the past.  Baby and I came home Monday and are doing great.
  • I'm on the verge of this.  I had an elevated BP for me and I have had major swelling for some time plus 6 lbs gain in 2 weeks.  But!  No protein in urine.  I have started weekly checkups and praying it doesn't go to bedrest!
  • I am a volunteer for the Preeclampsia Foundation. Please take the time to look at this site if you haven't already. www.preeclampsia.org Our saying is know yourself, know the signs. I went undiagnosed for weeks, and I had my daughter 6 wks early due to pre-e. My DR ignored my concerns, and I had a beautiful baby girl who weighed 3 lbs 9 oz.Most DR don't want to worry a mom to be so they often call it PIH, its all the same thing.

I am now a volunteer for the foundation and hold a awareness walk-a-thon each year, this being my 3rd.  https://www.promisewalk.org/pfpw/fundevent.asp?nnaffundid=14

Every 6 minutes a mother and child faces life or death. There are more than 1,500 severe preeclampsia cases each week, and unfortunately, more than 3 of those mothers die each week because of preeclampsia. Worldwide estimates suggest that 76,000 women and 500,000 babies die annually because of preeclampsia. I thank God everyday Kallyn or I weren't one of them!.

KNOW YOURSELF, KNOW THE SIGNS
    Best Wishes!
    Meg aka Kallyn born 6 Wks early due to Pre-E weighing 3lbs 9oz http://www.promisewalk.org/pfpw/fundevent.asp?nnaffundid=14 Making Strides, Delivering Hope Help Saves millions of lives each year!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"