2nd Trimester

normal nt scan but bloodwork shows higher risk for D/S

I had my NT scan and bloodwork done at 11 weeks and then the next round of bloodwork done at 15 weeks. The measurements on the NT scan were 1.5. The nurse called yesterday to give me the results of all of the tests and said everything was normal and perfect but the DS test seems like it puts me in the high risk category.it is 1:365. I am 33 now, 34 when I will have the baby so the age factor puts me at 1:400 chance of DS. I would assume that age and normal NT measurements would lower my risk significantly so there must have been something with the bloodwork to make my risks higher. I read somewhere that if your risk comes back higher than your age alone risk factor that is considered high risk. I am going to call the doctor tomorrow to get a better explanation, but was wondering if anyone had results like this.

Re: normal nt scan but bloodwork shows higher risk for D/S

• Just remember that you have a 364:365 chance of a non-DS baby... that isn't much lower than 399:400. I'm sure it's scary, but chances are everything should be ok. Hang in there!
  • My LO is here and healthy but I can relate to the worry.  I had a normal NT scan and then high AFP which put us at a 1:160 risk for an NTD. With an increased risk factor for DS, you probably had a low AFP result, right?  I think calling your dr for more info is a great idea. In the meanwhile, try to not get too stressed. Personally, 1:400 still seems very good to me. Usually anything with less risk than 1:200 or 1:250 (I can't rememeber which) is considered "negative". You are well above that mark, which is great.

• Loading the player...
  • imageabsent*minded:
    Just remember that you have a 364:365 chance of a non-DS baby... that isn't much lower than 399:400. I'm sure it's scary, but chances are everything should be ok. Hang in there!

This. I'll be thinking of you!

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I experienced the SAME thing.  I was 29 and got 1:288 (or some number around there).  They said it was in the "normal" range, but it scared me.  I automatically started thinking that next time my number is going to be higher because I would be older (not true).  I also didn't like the idea that it was high for my age, but normal.  Who decides what is normal?  Anyway, I was not considered high risk, because the numbers were still normal, but my ob let me get a genetic ultrasound to give me some comfort.  I believe my measurements looked good, but it was the bloodwork that worked into the equation to give me that number. 
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Hope this helps. I will be 33 when I deliver.  I also had the NT scan and blood work at 12wks.  My results were 1:8000 for DS.

I had to have the neural tube/spinabifida blood work done at 16wks so I asked for the quad screen. My doctor said I did not need to redo the downs numbers as the second round of blood work was not as accurate as the first round with the NT measurement.  I said I was getting poked anyway and I wanted to get it.

So, mine came back at 1:577 risk for Downs. I was worried now. The lab work said though that the average risk for that test was 1:471. I felt better now, but still was concerned.

I talked to my doc about it and she said that is why she did not want me to get it done after having the first screen. Had my anatomy scan and the baby looks healthy. Most doctors consider you high risk at 1:250, at that point they offer amnio, etc.

I would try to not worry too much about it, just as the other girls said it is way more likely you will have a healthy child than not. Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The results are a combination of the ultrasound and the bloodwork, not either of them alone. 

I'll be 35 when the little one is born, and my DS results came back as 1:120.  Our ultrasound looked perfectly normal as well.   We had an amnio done to know what the reality of our situation was, so we could be prepared.  Those results came back perfectly normal.  Do what you need to do to put your mind at ease. 

• imagenic5606:

Hope this helps. I will be 33 when I deliver.  I also had the NT scan and blood work at 12wks.  My results were 1:8000 for DS.

I had to have the neural tube/spinabifida blood work done at 16wks so I asked for the quad screen. My doctor said I did not need to redo the downs numbers as the second round of blood work was not as accurate as the first round with the NT measurement.  I said I was getting poked anyway and I wanted to get it.

So, mine came back at 1:577 risk for Downs. I was worried now. The lab work said though that the average risk for that test was 1:471. I felt better now, but still was concerned.

I talked to my doc about it and she said that is why she did not want me to get it done after having the first screen. Had my anatomy scan and the baby looks healthy. Most doctors consider you high risk at 1:250, at that point they offer amnio, etc.

I would try to not worry too much about it, just as the other girls said it is way more likely you will have a healthy child than not. Good luck.

That's crazy. Just goes to show how inaccurate these tests are.
  • I was 1 in 60 chance of my baby having downsyndrome from the blood test results.  I FREAKED OUT!  I couldn't sleep and was depressed.  The doc had me rushed into my first ultrasound to see how everything looked---which was fine.  I still freaked out.  My husband and I agreed for amniocentesis to calm me down for the  second half of the pregnancy and/or to prepare accordingly.  Everything came back fine and I think the test should be taken with the hugest grain of salt!  I know tons of women who had faulty results who freak out and worry and it ends up being nothing.  I don't understand how this test is valid.  I had some people put the baby on their prayer list and everything turned out for the better.  Although I never forget how upset I was until I found out the results.Tongue Tied
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ugh. so much extra worry that isn't needed. totally the reason why i didn't bother with the test. i'd drive myself nuts to not even have a yes or no answer at the end of the day. 
  • imagekatekirschner:
    ugh. so much extra worry that isn't needed. totally the reason why i didn't bother with the test. i'd drive myself nuts to not even have a yes or no answer at the end of the day. 

This.  Like many of the women already said these tests can make one such a worry wort.  IMO they are totally unnecessary, NT scan included.  My NT scan wasn't normal by any means, her NT measured 4.95mm.  I didn't know anything about NT scans until after I had my 1st ultrasound and my doctor explained to me that the baby could have DS, TS, etc....  I'm 18 years old and was freaking out!  She sent me to MFM, they did blood work and we decided to go ahead with the amniocentesis.  The day of my amnio I had my anatomy scan and the tech saw no markers of DS.  And I found out that my blood results put me at 1/37.  In the end the amnio came back with all 46 chromosomes and everything is great!  But I had to worry for 8 weeks about something that wasn't even there.  I have stated before I felt NT scans are pointless because they could come back with horrible results and nothing be wrong and vise a versa, same feelings on blood work screenings. 

That being said the only way to know anything for sure is to do an amniocentesis.  With my next child many years down the road I will opt out of any screenings, testings, etc...   Sorry I was just venting about my story.  Good Luck and I'm very very very sure your baby is going to be 100 percent healthy.  T&P. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My results came back as 1:165, the cutoff was 1:220, I am 33 and will be at the time of delivery. It is also my second child and my results were fine with my first.  We met with a geneticist who explained my risk was based on a slightly higher NT number 2.45 at 12 weeks and a higher than normal bHGH 1.45 MOM. My PappA was normal so that is what bumped my numbers up. I did have a level 2 ultrasound done and they discovered chroid plexus cysts, but were not too concerned. For us we decided to go ahead with the amnio. Thankfully my baby boy has normal chromosomes, but for us it was the right decision. We wanted to know so we had the rest of the pregnancy to prepare our family.

I guess I am in the minority, because even though I "screened positive", I am glad we did the test.  It is a screening tool, not a definitive answer whether there will be something wrong with your baby. It gives you the chance to see if more invasive measures might be needed. Combined with the bloodwork it can pick up 90 % of babies with Downs, even though it has a 5 % false positive rate.

• I was told they DONT do NT scan till about 13 weeeks..Why did they do it sooooo early????
  • imagetchomos:
    I was told they DONT do NT scan till about 13 weeeks..Why did they do it sooooo early????

An NT scan has to be done from 11 weeks until 13 weeks 6 days pregnant. So it wasn't done early.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"