February 2011 Moms

Preeclampsia out of nowhere

So today at work I started having contractions, which I ignored since Ive been having them, and they havent been very strong. Out of nowhere they hit my back and moved much lower, like they were literally going to squeeze the crap out of me. Called the dr's office and they told me go to l&d right away. They did the usual monitoring, but when they took my bp it was 154/92!! Its never been that high considering I ran half marathons before my pregnancy, i have always had low BP. A few hours of monitoring later, it was still high, but there was no progress as far is dilation goes, so they released me on bed rest and a follow up tomorrow. This is just very bizarre since I really had no symptoms, and now suddenly im on bed rest. 

Any suggestions for things to do to pass time on bed rest? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Preeclampsia out of nowhere

• well hopefully you won't have that much time on bedrest.

Pre-e can come on fast, however to have an actual pre e diagnosis you will have to have continous readings of 140/90 AND protein over 300mg in your urine.

You could just have pregnancy induced hypertension at this point of even high readings and they can go back down once you are on home bedrest.

I have been on bedrest for over 10 weeks now. It sucks, but the first few days are the worst. I spend a lot of time online, catching up on blogs, watching tv, organzing stuff around the house I can do while sitting. (recipes,scrapbook stuff, etc).

Hang in there! Hopefully it was just a fluke reading but even so, pre-e can be scary so take it seriously if you do get it. I had it with my first pregnancy and was induced at 35 weeks when my bp was 215/115, I had horrible headaches, out of control swelling and was throwing up. It's not a pretty thing.

Best of luck!

• I agree with the last post take Pre-e seriously it can have devistating outcomes. Just relax and stay calm -this will help your BP! catch up on your reading/day time tv and just relax make sure you drinking plenty of water. Hope everything works out for you and LO! good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • This happened to me on friday.  No contractions but I had swelling, and then the headaches started and then on my way to work my vision started going.  (unable to focus, blurred and spots missing).  I went to the dr and my bp was 150/110.  I hadnt had ANY issues this whole pregnancy up until that day.  They monitored for awhile and my bp started to come down with rest, so now they've got me on "modified" bed rest.  Its not fun, I have a ton to do still so Im hoping Im able to move around at least some before the baby gets here!  I was told tons of water and to just relax.  The dr just told me to remind myself that "my house isnt that dirty, and grocery shopping doesnt have to be done today"  Strangely, that helps!

Good luck to you!

• imagethuckabee:

This happened to me on friday.  No contractions but I had swelling, and then the headaches started and then on my way to work my vision started going.  (unable to focus, blurred and spots missing).  I went to the dr and my bp was 150/110.  I hadnt had ANY issues this whole pregnancy up until that day.  They monitored for awhile and my bp started to come down with rest, so now they've got me on "modified" bed rest.  Its not fun, I have a ton to do still so Im hoping Im able to move around at least some before the baby gets here!  I was told tons of water and to just relax.  The dr just told me to remind myself that "my house isnt that dirty, and grocery shopping doesnt have to be done today"  Strangely, that helps!

Good luck to you!

With my follow up today my bp was 140/80, which the dr said wasnt too alarming, but my protein was 3+ (?) so now I have to do the 24 hour urine catch. Have you had to do this? If my protein doesnt decrease they said they will likely induce me by Friday since i'm 37 weeks. This is just crazy to me how quickly things can happen!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"