Preemies

Being emotional about preemie babies

I had my baby at t34 weeks, and lurking on this board makes me realize, how lucky I am to have my baby with me, I definitely did not want a premature baby, but I rather have a premature baby than no baby at all. Our little persons are so strong. I remember my baby at the NICU, he was on an oxygen cap for 2 days, and he was sucking on the edge of the cap, he has been very strong, and I know all of our babies have been incredibly strong, to get through all their physical challenges. This post may look pointless, but I just want to send blessings to all mothers with preemie babies, we are truly blessed for having such strong, fighters with us.

All babies are beautiful, but I feel that having a premature baby, makes you realize how precious life is.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Being emotional about preemie babies

• It is really humbling overall.  I have gone through two previous losses and then my preemie.  It just makes me realize how special my baby boy really is.  He is a real blessing.  And I am just treasuring the time that I have now with him.  My favorite thing is to make him laugh. 

I

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Oops there was a duplicate post. 

I just wanted to add that I hope for the future that there is more advanced technology or knowledge to be able to save more babies that are born premature.  I am really sad when I see another mother going through a loss.  And I just say this in humility that I am happy that my hospital was able to help my LO during his 35 day stay at the hospital. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know how you feel. Normally I lurk reading all the posts. I know Garrett was six weeks early, but I feel so extremely blessed to have had everything happen as it did. I realize he could be much worse off, that we could have spent more time in the hospital. It makes me appreciate how much of a fighter he is and for minutes here and there I almost forget he's a preemie.

Finding out I was pregnant with him so soon after my miscarriage made me worry even more!

I will probably just keep lurking for the most part though as I honestly feel like I would be ungrateful complaining or venting about anything when there are so many who would love to be in the position of having their baby healthy and home with them.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Natural MC - 4/18/10 (9 weeks)
    DS was born six weeks early on December 2010!
    Natural MC - 11/21/11 (7 weeks)
    DS born full term on October 2012!
  • I never looked at DD like some frail, fragile baby- she's been a tough fighter all along! I look at her like this little person who has already had to prove herself on so many levels. I think that until you've had a sick child or a child who had to fight like that you just don't appreciate what they're capable of!
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • this whole experience has made me not take my pregnancy for granted. I do get emotional when I see happy pregnant women but I feel like everything happens for a reason. I spoke with a friend's mom and talked about the "Why" and "What" from this whole thing and that I shouldn't be asking myself "Why this happened" but instead should be wondering "What am I suppose to learn from all of this?" She told me that maybe my What is to teach other mom's with pPROM about things the doctor's and nurses never told me so that way they're not left in the dark like I was about lung development issues. Then also to make sure that I never say some snarky remark to pregnant women to bring them down - like how people ALWAYS have to chime in with their 2 cents about their sad pregnancy stuff like miscarriages and sad stories..nobody wants to hear that! So as upset as I get about this whole thing I know there's a bigger picture
    Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • EDIT: Bump burp!

• I feel the same way. When I look at my now 18 pound (originally 3 pound), 10 month old, 30 weeker, I am amazed at how lucky we got. We managed to dodge every single bullet that is associated with a 10 week early baby; no eye problems, no evidence of CP, no developmental delays, no heart or lung issues (minus the need for a diuretic for 3 months after leaving the NICU), etc. I feel very lucky that I escaped with only a 63 day NICU stay when I hear of other moms on here that had LO's in there for far longer...I commend all of you for your strength!

However, as a resut of what I went through with my LO, I get FURIOUS when I see moms on the tri-boards who want to give birth at 34 or 35 weeks (or sometimes less) because they claim they are "done" or "don't want to gain an additional x pounds". I also get annoyed when I see women that are under 30 weeks pregnant complain about how miserable and uncomfortable they are, as I would have given anything to keep LO cooking and have been as uncomfortable as them. I usually tell my story to give these women a little perspective...whether it makes an impact or not is open to question.

• I do feel that I take less for granted knowing how my little guy struggled in the beginning.  Every he smiles, laughs, anything just makes me want to explode with joy.  I am so proud of him and not sure I would have been as amazed by every single thing he does if he wasn't such a little guy from the beginning. I find myself of the verge of tears of joy often!
  • imagesdtchica13:

However, as a resut of what I went through with my LO, I get FURIOUS when I see moms on the tri-boards who want to give birth at 34 or 35 weeks (or sometimes less) because they claim they are "done" or "don't want to gain an additional x pounds". I also get annoyed when I see women that are under 30 weeks pregnant complain about how miserable and uncomfortable they are, as I would have given anything to keep LO cooking and have been as uncomfortable as them. I usually tell my story to give these women a little perspective...whether it makes an impact or not is open to question.

I'm over on 3rd tri now and anytime I see one of these posts where women think their babies are done and ready at 34 weeks and they're so tired and ready for baby to come at 32 weeks it makes me want to scream. I just keep putting up the March of Dimes link on the complications that can arise even in 36 weekers. I, on the other hand, will be grateful for every day this LO decides to stay in there- I'd rather be induced at 42 weeks because I'm shut up like Fort Knox!

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageluvdv8:
    imagesdtchica13:

I'm over on 3rd tri now and anytime I see one of these posts where women think their babies are done and ready at 34 weeks and they're so tired and ready for baby to come at 32 weeks it makes me want to scream. I just keep putting up the March of Dimes link on the complications that can arise even in 36 weekers. I, on the other hand, will be grateful for every day this LO decides to stay in there- I'd rather be induced at 42 weeks because I'm shut up like Fort Knox!

I posted on one a while back saying "Anyone in the preemie board would die to be in your situation" and another mom got snarky with me. Whoops, I guess I don't know how to talk to pregnant people

Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I know what you mean!

I feel so blessed with DS.  He has some minor issues he's working through but he's very happy and healthy.

That's what makes me scared to risk it all again - knowing what can happen and knowing we did get so lucky.  I like this board because everyone truly appreciates their blessings.

• imagehollerjeepgirl:
    imageluvdv8:
    imagesdtchica13:

I posted on one a while back saying "Anyone in the preemie board would die to be in your situation" and another mom got snarky with me. Whoops, I guess I don't know how to talk to pregnant people

LOL, since I lurk the tri boards out of boredom, I remember you from the 3rd tri board! I remember a mom on the 3rd tri board back when Corri was about 5 weeks into her NICU stay (so, mid April of last year) that was about 30 weeks pregnant who said that she didn't want to go past 34 weeks because she didn't want to gain and have to lose that last 6 weeks of baby weight...I blasted the he!! out of her, so apparently I don't know how to talk to pregnant people either, hehe!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"