February 2011 Moms

two-story home mommas

so i was chatting with my mil yesterday and she asked what i was going to have the baby sleep in downstairs, say during the day.  my initial thought was that the baby will sleep upstairs in the pnp bassinet set up in our bedroom, for the better part of the time (at least the first few months and then transfer to crib).  she alluded that this may be a hassle going up and down stairs, etc., and thought that i should think about getting a bassinet/cradle for the first floor.  we live in an open floor plan townhome and although i have zero clue what to expect, i'm thinking this would make it difficult for the baby to rest peacefully.  my plan is to continue during the day per usual and not be overly quiet (we have two dogs so i'm sure they'll help), and i also don't want my house taken over by baby gear- family room, that is...i want to remain open-minded, but this thought never crossed my mind.  so, what are your thoughts on this- are you having a sleep set-up on both floors? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: two-story home mommas

• We have a cradle for the first few months and then the crib upstairs.

For downstairs sleep I will use her PnP.

I don't want to haul her up and down the stairs and want to be on the same floor as her whenever possible so we're having something for her on both floors.

Dee, Mommy to: Sofia, born 2/9/11, as well as three dogs, two cats and a multitude of chinchillas. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have the crib in the baby's room, bassinet in our room, and a PNP downstairs in the living room - I was in the same predicament until we got the bassinet for Christmas :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a pack and play downstairs for the babies, bassinets in our room, and cribs in the nursery. We have two of everything and now I wish we kept some things in boxes because I am not sure if we went overboard! 
  • I always had the baby in what ever room I was in when they are very little. Once the baby was out of the bassinet and into the crib that's where all of the naps happened. I was super nervous about sids and wanted to see the baby breath ALL the time. It will probably be the same with this one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We're doing a bassinet in our room, crib in the nursery and PNP in the living room. I haven't figured it out more than that. I suppose it will depend on how she sleeps (my mom always said I slept like a rock so I'm hoping LO takes after me) on whether or not I keep her on the same floor.
  • You can always use a moses basket. I have one, with a rocking stand. It's really light to carry up and down the stairs. I also have a Rock 'n' Play sleeper that I can carry up and down easy....

• I have two bassinets (one in my room and the other in baby's room) and pnp for down stairs (my DS1 will be 2 so i am fearful to keep baby in basinet down stairs with him running around..pnp seems more sturdy than bassinet.) I have to have a c/s so i will be limited on how many trips i can go up and down stairs for the first 6 weeks which is why i will have pnp down stairs. I also found it helpful with DS1 to have him nap down stairs he got used to the everyday noise so he did not wake sudden to a noise/noise change (which made it easier i think to put him on a schedule b/c  he could sleep through just about anything.)

• If she sleeps downstairs we will use the bassinet part of the pack n' play. I will have her in the room with us for night time sleep at the beginning. I also plan to have some naps upstairs in her crib right away, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • On the first floor of our home we have the PnP with a newborn napper in the living room (where we spend 90% of our time). We'll probably also change diapers in the changing part.

Upstairs we have the FP Rock and Play sleeper in our room and the crib in the nursery.

• I'm hoping that once I go upstairs after 2 weeks he'll go into his crib so we'll keep the pnp downstairs for him to sleep in.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imageTempeWick:

On the first floor of our home we have the PnP with a newborn napper in the living room (where we spend 90% of our time). We'll probably also change diapers in the changing part.

Upstairs we have the FP Rock and Play sleeper in our room and the crib in the nursery.

This is our setup.  The PnP would take up a lot of space in our bedroom so it's best for us to have it downstairs in our living room where we spend lots of time. 

• I think you get comfortable with what you have.  When I had my first we lived in a tiny place so a PnP was out of the question for downstairs.  DS always slept either upstairs or on the couch.  Even though we are in a bigger place now and I could have a PnP, I didn't get one.  LO will just sleep upstairs or on the couch, like DS did.  I too was paranoid about SIDS but my Angelcare monitor took care of that fear for me.  I didn't feel it was a hassle to bring baby upstairs to sleep and it didn't change how he slept (he could sleep through noise easily).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have a crib in his room, the cradle my great grandfather made for me 30 years ago in our room, and the PnP downstairs.
    image     image

image    image

• our bedroom (where the baby will sleep for the first few weeks) is downstairs.  But whenever I take DS upstairs for nap or bath/bedtime, I will put the baby in her crib which is upstairs.  I'll probably also have a swing or bouncer up there. But I'm going to have a Moses basket and a PNP downstairs and I'm going to create a makeshift changing station downstairs since I'll have 2 in diapers and I'm not taking both up and down the stairs all day long!!
  • I tried to have DS nap in the family room in the PnP and it was a big fail. He slept better in his own room, upstairs.
  • My mom used a PnP for the main and a crib in the nursery on the 2nd flr when my brother and sister were little.

• I have a crib for her for later and rock-n-play sleeper for now. The rock-n-play sleeper is small and won't take up much room in your family room. Plus, it is portable so you can take it with you for LO to sleep in at friends and relatives houses.
  • If I were you, I'd wait until you actually saw the need.  I understand where your MIL is coming from but you may be able to do without it so why waste the money and space until you know for sure that you could put the extra one to use.  

We actually have an open floor plan upstairs whereas most homes have the open floor plan downstairs.  So aside from having dinner in the dining room, or cooking in the kitchen, we pretty much spend most of our time upstairs.  I plan to either bring LO downstairs with us or just use the monitor for the short time we spend downstairs.  This would work the opposite way as well if we spent most of our time downstairs. 

Since we spend more time upstairs we did make the 2nd floor easier for us as far as LO is concerned.  We have a PnP in our room and a crib in the nursery.  That's it. Our family/media room is upstairs and we also have a large bar area which we made some space in for LO's bottle warmer as well as room in the upstairs fridge for her milk.  We hope this helps with the late night feedings.  We also got a humidifier large enough to cover the entire 2nd floor so we dont have to lug it from room to room.       

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Crib in the nursery, cradle in our bedroom and pnp in the living room (with a napper/changer) where we'll be pretty much all day. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"