Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Help re: constipation and Glycerin

He's been pretty backed up for about 48 hours now.  He has had a couple of small BMs, all of which made him scream in pain and one made him bleed a little.

We've given him prunes, water, all of that.  Nothing seemed to help and today he only had a tiny pellet poop.  I gave him a Glycerin suppository. He keeps screaming now that I've given it to him.

I just don't know what to do or how to help him.  He is really upset.  We just gave him milk and turned on Nick Jr and he's doing a little better.

This happens when we try to introduce any sort of new food.  I'm wondering if he has an allergy. 

Re: Help re: constipation and Glycerin

• Options
    Poor little guy! We had to do glycerin last week with Cam. How long has it been since you gave the suppository? We used Pedialax and it worked like a charm in 30 minutes..it was already in liquid form ("just insert and squirt" as DH put it) so that may have helped expedite the process.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageDaisy582:
    Poor little guy! We had to do glycerin last week with Cam. How long has it been since you gave the suppository? We used Pedialax and it worked like a charm in 30 minutes..it was already in liquid form ("just insert and squirt" as DH put it) so that may have helped expedite the process.

I've never heard of Pedialax!  It's only been about 20 minutes since the suppository and the bottle says 15 minutes to an hour.  I'll have to try the Pedialax.  Thank you for the suggestion.

It breaks my heart so much seeing him in so much pain and discomfort and there's nothing I can do for him.  I'm really glad we have his 15 month appointment on Wednesday so I can ask the doctor about how to prevent this.  My poor little guy is so unhappy. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hey, if you have epson salt a nice warm bath with that always helps C with his constipation. 

Do you have epson salt? If not, and you want to try it, I just bought a new carton of it and will bring some over for you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageChickenLittle2010:

Hey, if you have epson salt a nice warm bath with that always helps C with his constipation. 

Do you have epson salt? If not, and you want to try it, I just bought a new carton of it and will bring some over for you. 

I've never heard that either!  I'll give the suppository a little more time and then see what happens.  

Thank you!!

• Options

https://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Stomach-Remedsies/Pedia-Lax-Child-Liquid-Glycerin-Suppositories/ID=prod3946476-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3945325

Sorry the link is so long. The package says 2-5 years but it is what our Pedi recommended for quick relief when I called the after-hours line. I also noticed on the box that it said to call if there was not a BM within an hour. Is it the same w/ the glycerin capsules?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLucky428:
    imageChickenLittle2010:

I've never heard that either!  I'll give the suppository a little more time and then see what happens.  

Thank you!!

Hopefully he feels better!!! poor Jack.

BTW sending you a PM on FB about our playdate next week. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageDaisy582:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Stomach-Remedsies/Pedia-Lax-Child-Liquid-Glycerin-Suppositories/ID=prod3946476-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3945325

Sorry the link is so long. The package says 2-5 years but it is what our Pedi recommended for quick relief when I called the after-hours line. I also noticed on the box that it said to call if there was not a BM within an hour. Is it the same w/ the glycerin capsules?

Yeah... I just am not sure because he has pooped but only barely.  Thank you for the link.

• Options
    We've had to use glycerin suppositories a couple times and its always taken 30-40 minutes for something to pass. She always seems in pain in the mean time and I know, its horrible to watch your LO hurting. Usually for DD, once she passes whatever stool is lodged, it clears her out and over the next day or two she'll have a few extra bowel movements and sort of clear out her system. I hope the glycerin suppository works for him. I would definitely ask the pedi at his appt. We weren't having any luck with diet changes either and DD went on Miralax daily about 4 mo ago. Her constipation has disappeared, she has soft, daily BMs (she used to have pellet poo) and seems to be an overall happier baby. I hope you guys are able to find the right solution for your little guy.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    Give a quarter teaspoon of miralax in his drink, also I found soy milk helps produce bowel movements quite well.
  • Options

imageDaisy582:

Yep, this is what we did, we just set him in the bathtub, but I don't reccomend that because now he is afraid of the bath.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"