Infertility

Femara- has anyone been on this???

I am 35 years old and got married in July. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 years old. Since then I had not had a cycle without medication either BCP or provera. I have had two cycles of clomid one of 100mg and one of 150mg. My numbers after the first cycle moved a little and then after the second moved a little bit more but I have still not ovulated. The side effects of clomid have not been pleasant to say the least. On my next cycle the Dr. is putting me on Femara. I know this drug is normally used for breast cancer patients but that it has been used to get women to ovulate to. Has anyone else been on this drug, have any experience with it? I would love to hear feed back about anyone's experience, if there are side effects etc?  Thank you so much and I wish everyone luck!!! 

Re: Femara- has anyone been on this???

• I was on Femara for three cycles and had no side effects at all. I got between 1-2 follicles for my 3 cycles. Even though its primary use may be for beast cancer, a lot of women take it for infertility. Good luck!! 
    TTC #1 since 7/09
    Dx: LPD, underdeveloped follicles, blocked left tube
    3 C/P, 1 BO, 1 Ectopic
    IVF#1=BFN (3/11)
    FET#1=BFP
  • I've done 2 cycles with Femara at 5mg from days 5-9.  I haven't had any noticeable side effects except acne and ovulation (obviously wanted that latter, not so much the former!).  I had one follie at 19mm our first cycle and did timed intercourse, and two follies at 18mm and 24mm this past cycle and did an IUI, but unfortunately neither of them worked.  I am about to start a third cycle with Femara and IUI before potentially adding in or moving on to injectables and IUI. 

I'm assuming you're being monitored via bloodwork and ultrasound by an RE while taking this medication, correct? 

If you're looking for any success stories with it though, check out Pregnant after IF (PAIF) or Success after IF (SAIF) for those ladies as everyone here is still dealing with IF.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I also have PCOS & do not ovulate on my own (until recently).  I've done 3 cycles of Femara (2.5mg).  I ovulated all 3 times & got pregnant twice.  Unfortunately, both pregnancies ended in m/c.  I did not have any side effects (I ALWAYS get side effects).  Once we get the results of all of my b/w (RPL & some other stuff to see if we can determine why I m/c twice) I will probably be going back on Femara.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • I am in my mid 20's and thin PCOS and have tried clomid and femara.  (Clomid 3 times-100 mg, 150 mg, 150 mg--but ovulated pretty late cd 24.  I never ovulate on my own either.)  This is my 3rd time with femara and I don't have any side effects.  I'm getting a couple of good size follicles each time and I'm hoping the 3rd IUI is the lucky one :)

Good Luck!

Twin girls born Feb 2012
    After another round of IVF, Baby #3 is on the way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've done Femara with all 3 of my IUI's. See my siggy for doseage and results. The only s/e I ever had was headache. Good luck!
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I used Femara (2.5mg dose) for 3 cycles. I responded very well with no side affects.  Good luck.
    Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
  • imagechizzle09:
    I was on Femara for three cycles and had no side effects at all. I got between 1-2 follicles for my 3 cycles. Even though its primary use may be for beast cancer, a lot of women take it for infertility. Good luck!! 

Yep. This exactly.

My second cycle on it was successful (IUI#2 in my siggy) in resulting in PG.

Good lcuk!

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• I also have PCOS and have been on Femara for 5 unsuccessful cycles.  No pregnancy but for me, the Femara has created anywhere from 1-3 follicles each cycle.  I had a little bit of bloat and a little bit of a headache but otherwise, no major side effects.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm on my third time cycle of Femara with no luck so far.  I have two follicles this time and am waiting axiously for the two weeks to past by.  I have not experienced any side effects.  I have tried clomid in the past and never ovulated.  I am hopeful that it works this time.

Good luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"