June 2011 Moms

Crib...WWYD?

My DH is amazing, and is going to be a great father. He has been talking to some other first time parents and getting their ideas on cribs. He is all for buying the best crib out there, which is looking like $400+. I was looking at cribs for $150 - $250...

what do you mom's think? what prices are you looking at for cribs? My problem is that we do not have an unlimited budget and we need much more than just a crib for the nursery! But if I am being cheap, and the $150 - $250 cribs aren't as steady or "safe" as the more sturdy, much more expensive cribs, I guess I'll have to give in. 

Luke17:6 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 since 11/2008 Diagnosed Insulin Resistant Menopur + HcG + IUI = baby!

Re: Crib...WWYD?

• Have you read the Baby Bargains book? It recommends great cribs (all baby products) at all price points. There are some very good ones in the $150-250 range.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Others might have a different experience to share but I got our crib off of Amazon.com for 250.  We put it together last night and it seems very sturdy.  This is the link if you want to check it out https://www.amazon.com/DaVinci-Kalani-Convertible-Crib-Espresso/dp/B0010TODHG/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I22Q4DY35CCUWA&colid=2AF7KEC2WN6HA.  Good luck finding the crib that works for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • i'm cheap, so i would get the cheap crib.  but that's just me.  we actually got our crib for free off of craigslist (i know, i know), and it worked out very well.  it was well constructed, beautiful wood, had all original parts and manual, and no recalls. 
  • I think we are going to get this crib:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4358801

Its rated pretty well on Baby Bargains, and is originally $329.99 - but we have a 20% one item coupon PLUS a $10 savings reward certificate, PLUS we're going to open a credit card account - so I think it will end up being about $221 (assuming I can stack all of those discounts!)

SO depending on where you want to shop, and the discounts you can accrue - you might be able to get a more expensive crib at a good discount!

• I'm very practical, so spending a lot of $$ on a crib is not in our plans unless it is the type that turns into a toddler bed, or converts to a headboard and base board for a full size/queen bed.
  • I was in the same boat... after doing research, I have decided on this crib and this changing table -

https://www.target.com/Graco-Lauren-Classic-Convertible-Espresso/dp/B00264HWKY/ref=huc_ic_2_pn

https://www.target.com/Graco-Lauren-Dressing-Table-Espresso/dp/B001PQAPOO/ref=huc_ic_1_pn

It received great reviews in baby bargains, it was on a top 10 list of cribs I read and it's a fantastic price.

good luck and remember spending more money doesn't always equal better quality!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • We are getting an amish-made 3 in 1 convertible which will likely be pricey (>$1000) but we plan on that being our son's bed until he moves out so it's worth it to us.

All cribs have to meet certain safety standards to be sold in the US so I wouldn't worry too much about whether the less expensive ones are safe. 

• I bought my first crin on 2005 for about $150. It survied my hyperacive daughter, and storage. I will be using it again.

Also,my mother has had six children. They have always had to budget. She has bought "cheap" cribs that would last her through 3, 2, and then 1 child. She kept thinkinging she was done! LOL. But she never had a problem. She gave them to friends to use.

Best thing you can do is just research.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The second highest rated crib on Consumer Reports is actually the Davinci Emily crib. It's ~230 right now.

Higher price does not = higher quality.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • klvklv member

We are getting the Graco Lauren.  It is $150 and has great safety ratings!

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Lauren-Classic-Crib-White/dp/B002CS0JKO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• I am in the same boat!

I found a nice, highly rated $150 crib that I was considering but DH said it was too plain. He wants to spend more to gte more elaborite and nicer looking. Both cribs have good ratings actually but I just think it would be nicer to have more $$ towards other stuff. I guess I'm going to give in though and get the more expensive one. I really do like it too...although I would probably be almost as happy not spending the extra money.

• I'm getting the Leksvik crib by Ikea.  It is 129 dollars and Ikea cribs get A ratings from Baby Bargains. 

• The cribs we have been looking at are in the $500 range.  There are good cribs in all ranges.

A popular one recently is the Graco Lauren which apparently can be bought at Target on clearance right now for $80. Do what you can afford.  Check out Baby Bargains for ratings in all different price ranges.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • I've seen plenty of inexpensive cribs that seem very sturdy, and wouldn't hesitate to use one.

However, if I decide that I need a matching set - crib that matches the dresser, etc. - I'll probably go more expensive.  That's because the inexpensive cribs that seem nice also seem to have matching dressers where the drawers feel terrible - they don't slide out smoothly, etc.  

I think it's generally fine to go with less expensive furniture if there are no moving parts; once there are moving parts (like drawers), it becomes worth it, to me, to spend a little bit more. 

Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm in the same boat. We are registered for the Graco Lauren from Target because its only about $150. It gets good ratings, and its a good price.

But I really like the style of the modo 3-1. But its about $350. I registered for both, and we'll just see where the budget falls later on. I plan on the crib being one of the last pieces we buy. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • check what's been tested on Consumer Reports- it's definitely worth a look!
  • we got one on clearance last time and it is pure garbage. The drawer that came with it immediately broke upon putting it together and the top head board has a busted spot in it. We got it before reading baby bargains, so i wish i had been more educated at the time. We pretty much have only one income and after bills have less than 800 a month to spend on other things, so my mom is getting the crib for us this time. We are getting a crib/changer combo.

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"