Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

FF - How much per month?

I was just wondering how many cans of formula you go through every month? And how many ounces the cans are. 

FI and his family think I'm not saving much money by EBFing and should just switch so they can help feed her too. 

TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Med-free birth, EBF, Co-Sleeping, Babywearer

Re: FF - How much per month?

• Options
    My DD is 4 weeks and I buy in bulk from sams club- a 2.1lb can will last me a little over a week, almost a week and a half. The can cost 28 bucks.  She drinks 4 oz every 4 hours and sometimes will eat 1-2 ounces extra when she is really hungry. 
  • Options

we have WIC so we don't spend much we maybe have to buy one can a month but if we didn't have it we would be spending $130-$150 a month it's not cheap!!!

-that's using about 10-11 of the regular size cans

• Loading the player...
  • Options

First off that's ridiculous that the only reason they want you to switch is if you're not saving money. What about the health benefits? I am disgusted that anyone would suggest you stop just because they want to feed the baby. What is wrong with people.

I EBF and pump and H gives Josie 1 bottle every night before bed. If you're going back to work you'll need a pump so why not start that now?

I think $100+ a month is about the average and you're feeding solely formula until 6 months and then they still are eating mostly formula until a year.  So theoretically you're saving $800-1000 for the first year, plus the price of multiple sets of bottles, etc. The cans are $20-25 bucks (powder) and last almost a week I think. I'm not 100% sure but that's what I remember from babysitting.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    My son just started getting formula 24/7 this week - before we would supplement with formula.  But I cannot keep up my supply (after trying every trick in the book).  However, even with supplementing I have bought very little formula.  I signed up everyone I knew for similac strong moms, they send samples & give great coupons.  Gerber also sends some amazing coupons.  Between those coupons & sales the stores run I spend very little.  I will be interested to see how much we're going to end up spending now that he is solely on formula.
  • Options

I'm definitely not switching to formula. Not anytime soon anyways. There's no way I can afford 100+ dollars on formula! 

I just wanted them to know that babies eat A LOT and if she can eat for free, she should.  

Med-free birth, EBF, Co-Sleeping, Babywearer
  • Options

I also buy in bulk from Sam's and it last me a week and a half and I haven't paid a dime out of pocket with all the formula checks a coupons so far....I've been trading forumula checks online.

Once I run out of checks I'll get the Target brand which the pediatrician said is the same and it's half the price but I'll probably not have to put out any money for formula for another 2-3months b/c I have tons of formula checks

• Options
    imageSnoopyLuv:

First off that's ridiculous that the only reason they want you to switch is if you're not saving money. What about the health benefits? I am disgusted that anyone would suggest you stop just because they want to feed the baby. What is wrong with people.

I EBF and pump and H gives Josie 1 bottle every night before bed. If you're going back to work you'll need a pump so why not start that now?

I think $100+ a month is about the average and you're feeding solely formula until 6 months and then they still are eating mostly formula until a year.  So theoretically you're saving $800-1000 for the first year, plus the price of multiple sets of bottles, etc. The cans are $20-25 bucks (powder) and last almost a week I think. I'm not 100% sure but that's what I remember from babysitting.

All of this. I cannot believe they think you aren't saving much money by EBF! You are saving a ton. You can also factor in the fact that your LO will get all of your antibodies and get sick less, therefore ...less dr. visits! And yes, that's about right for the cost of formula. We buy 25 oz cans of Goodstart Gentle Plus, they are about $22, and last for about 5-6 days.

• Options

We have to use the nutrige (sp) stuff from enfamil and it runs 200 bucks for 10 cans.

• Options
    We are currently spending $9 a day on DD's hypoallergenic ready to feed formula. I imagine the cost will grow substantially as she grows.

• Options
    When I ff ds1 when he was 6mos+ the larger cans were 25 bucks and went through that every 5 days or so.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm BF'ing this time, but my DD was FF. She was on Nutramigen because of her issues, and still spit up everytime she ate. That was $28 I believe, and we were going through a can (since they didnt make a bigger can) every 6 days I think. So about $110 a month. The only thing Ive bought so far in regards to BF'ing, I just bought a box of nursing pads today that will last me 30 days, a box of storage bags, and extra nipples for his bottles. $16, and thats the first time.
    imageimage
    Breleigh & Mason
  • Options
    We're spending about $250 on Similac Spit Up.  It was part of the voluntary recall last fall so all we can find is the small cans and they are $15 each, and piggy eats 8 ounces a feeding so we're buying it as fast as Similac can make it.  It's well worth it thought, it's worked the best for his acid reflux.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"