Military Families

Husband Leaving for the Navy

Hello just wanted to introduce myself on this board and see if I could get some insight. My husband is leaving February 10th for basic training in the Navy. Then he will begin Seal training. We are both excited, but it's bittersweet that he's leaving when I preggo. Anyways, I unfortunately do not have insurance right now. I was wondering if any of you knew how long it takes for his to kick in once he leaves (I think he said it is called Tricare South?). His recruiter said it will the day he leaves, but we haven't gotten any paperwork or anything and my doc office needs it asap. Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you ladies!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Husband Leaving for the Navy

• South is the region you are in. The insurance will either be Tricare Prime or Standard depending on which you choose. You are covered under Tricare as soon as you are entered as a dependent into DEERS. Your ID card will serve as your insurance card. 
  • Ditto PP.  He will be able to put you into DEERs durring his first week away.  He will then send you paper work so you can go get your ID.  That will also be your insurance card. 

There is a button in my siggy that will lead you to the Military Nesties FAQ page.  There is a lot of information there that you may find useful.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much! I feel so lost with all this! 

• My husband graduated from RTC back in 09. I received all my paperwork in the mail - sent from RTC from him to go to my local base to get my issued ID card! Once you have that - you can go anywhere for treatment.

• I don't really know the answer to your question (DH was already in the Navy when we were married) BUT do want to say welcome and best of luck to your honey as he goes into his training. My DH is a SEAL and it's a great community. You will find a lot of support within the teams. Should have any questions related to his training, schedule, etc, don't be afraid to ask :) Sometimes it can be overwhelming, especially in the beginning...
  • Thanks girls this means a lot!

• If you are on his page 2 and then go to deers you should get the insurance right away... his social security number is how they charge your insurance... so first find out if you are on page 2 then you can get the rest...

• Hey! I just wanted to comment because were in a similar boat. My husband leaves for boot camp august 3 for the navy. Our child is due June 8th. Unfortunately I have health care but my baby won't until august when DH leaves. He's trying to get shipped sooner. I'm even willing to have him gone during my labor at this point its so important to us! Do you know where you'll be based after his basic? Is it different for SEALs? For regular recruits he goes into his secondary training and I get to go with him. We'll be based in Chicago until he finishes secondary. :) It's so great to hear from someone like us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"